Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

2013 Classic Build Thread (Betsy)

5K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  robacycle 
#1 ·
He Everyone, going to start a thread to document the progress on my 2013, 900 Betsy. My dad owned a garage and I've had a lot of vehicles buying and selling throughout the years, all named Betsy the first was a 70 Nova. So, Ill continue the tradition.

I last motorcycle I owned was a 88 GSXR 750 which I laid down, that was about 13 years ago. Every year I go to dealerships and look and have never pulled the trigger. In January I decided it was time. I've put 100 miles on the bike in the last 3 days in the PA cold and I forgot how much I loved riding.

I'm trying to take it easy during the break inn period but I just want to get on it. But luckily the salt and cinders that are still all over the majority of the back roads is keeping the speed at bay.

So far I have purchased:
12 inch apes
Clear signal covers and amber bulbs
Super Bright LED Brake Flasher
Swingarm Bag

Freeway Blaster Horn

I'll be installing most of these parts this weekend and Ill post pictures of the updates. I'm lovin the Vulcan so far, I cant believe that it took all these years to get back on one.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Cool, same exact bike as mine, will be awesome to see what you do. I am almost finished with mine for now. Still have to get a windshield and install my HID headlight then I will be done. Cant wait to see what those apes look like. I can tell from the pic's that you have the newer stock seat as well. I think I have the old one on mine. Or it could be the other way around since I have never sat on any other 900's.

#3 ·
Darkarcher you forgot the new seat! Unless you are the 1 in 10,000 guys that actually finds the stock seat comfortable, you will be adding a new seat to the list of add ons.

Have you past the 100 miles mark on the odometer yet?

Betsy looks like a keeper. I took a 35 year break from riding had to get 3 kids through collage. Was going to buy a HD sporster by got the Vulcan classic instead. Did over 6k last year just tooling around the back roads of Georgia. The vulcan is a great middle weight perfect for my needs.

Enjoy Betsy I am sure she will take good care of you. These are great bikes.

#4 ·
good list to start things off. I've also got a 2013 classic. My 12" Apes just got delivered about 2 hours ago. I am starting the installation today! droppedatbirth, did you go with extended cables or you attempting the re-route method?

#6 · (Edited)
Ive got some stuff done over the last couple days.

I installed a Superbright LED's 1157 flashing bulb to me rear tail light. I was looking at both in the dark and I do not think that the LED is any brighter but it is just as bright. It is more focused however. The dual filament bulb gets bright 360*, the LED gets bright directly to the rear of the bike. The flashing is pretty cool and I think that this is definitely worth the $19.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...watt-high-power-led-w-brake-flasher/923/2274/

I also installed my Willie and Max, Swingarm bag. I used the two bolt holes on the belt guard to mount the bag. I drilled two holes in the plastic back and I bought longer screws, some small fender washers, 2 half inch aluminum spacers and it worked out real nice. I will eventually paint everything black.

#8 ·
I also installed my 12 inch apes today. They are the cheap J&P Cycles, HD bars. They are not Knurled, but after tightened down they don't move. Honestly I moved around all the cables and my clutch cable is not that tight. For right now, I really want to get a longer front brake cable. Eventually I am going to buy black +6 cables and replace them all.

The bars are great compared to stock in my opinion I really like where the mirrors sit right now, I can see 2x as much as I could before.

#9 ·
I like what you've done with Betsy so far. The black apes really go nicely with the overall color scheme of the 2013. Lots of inspiration for me when I get my 2013 (soon). Have you installed the horn upgrade yet?

#11 ·
And how are you breaking her in? Per Kawi's recommendations or by a more aggressive method?

#12 ·
I'm trying to stick to the manual, basically 1 gear for every 10 mile per hour, but it's hard. I have got on it a few times. I live in the mountains but in 5 minutes I am in town so I am constantly up and down shifting. I did take it up to 80 today on the highway and rode it for a little while just to get a feel for the bike. I'm at 200 miles and I'm really liking the bike so far.

#13 ·
The handle bars make a world of difference! I'm debating on just getting an extended brake line and clutch cable for now. The electronic wiring I have plenty of slack, and a decent amount with the throttle cables. Are those the cheap $37 JP bars? If so I got the exact same ones! Did you just grind down the nub on the casing with the start button, or drill a hole in the bars?

I've had my eye on that superbright 1157 with the flasher, was that a plug and play?

#14 ·
Yea they are the cheap bars. I drilled a hole.

I have plenty of slack with the wiring also. I think over time I will buy all the cables and run them in front of the trees like they were from the factory, but for now, I am happy.

The bulb is plug and play. It flashed 3 times and then stays on. Its pretty cool for 19 bucks. I have clear lenses coming and amber bulbs. I think that I am going to wire some red LEDs into the factory turn signals for extra running lights.

#15 ·
So I did some work this weekend, I did not like how the brake cable looked running through the middle of the handle bars because of it being too short. I decided to buy a new brake cable. So after seeing a pot from Deputy Loud I called Phat Performance parts and ordered

Part Number: FK003D582 , $54.95

So after I ordered the brake cable, I decided to just pull the trigger and I called motion pro and ordered +6 cables in black vinyl. The part numbers I am referencing below are for armored, you have to ask for black vinyl.

Reference part number 63-0358: clutch cable, $48.00 ask for vinyl
Reference part number 63-0359: pull cable, $40.00 ask for vinyl
Reference part number 63-0360: push cable, $40.00 ask for vinyl

The brake line was delivered in about a week, Motion Pro had to make the others and it took about 2.5 weeks before they showed up at my house.

I put the cables on Yesterday. The throttle cables were a little bit of a pain, so was the clutch. I did not remove the exhaust for the clutch but after it was all said and done it would probably have saved me some time. Of course the brake cable was easy with the exception that have never had to bleed a brake line for that long. I ran damn near an entire bottle of DOT 3/4 before I had no bubbles. But she stops on a dime now.

So after all is said and done I think that the cables are too long in my opinion. It does not really matter to me, it does not look bad, but +6 is too long. +4 would have been about perfect, unfortunately I don't even know if anyone advertises a +4 clutch and throttle cables. The only upside is now I can go with a taller bar or larger risers if I ever want to.

I will get better pictures later, it was getting dark and raining

I also decided to hide all my wiring inside the bars while I was at it. I had to drill larger holes by the controls and then decided to just drill a center hole in the bar between the risers but angled towards the tank. It was a little bit of a pain to fish everything through. I pulled the gas tank and extended all the wires by 5 inches, I had to do this as the wires would not reach at factory length.

I think it looks a lot cleaner and it was worth the time.

I also installed my new horn, its hard to see but I placed it where everyone else seems to, passenger side under the tank behind the radiator, much louder than stock.

I also ordered some clear lenses and amber bulbs from J&P.

All in all it was a good weekend, I also went on a 2 hour ride yesterday evening, I have been taking sub 50 mile trips this year because honestly it was to damn cold to go any further up until about two weeks ago. I have been wondering why everyone hates the stock seat, I've been thinking its not so bad, until yesterday. After about an hour and a half my ass and lower back were hurting, I stopped to see a buddy of mine for a break, then rode the last half hour home. I'm not saying it was unbearable but I will definitely be looking for an aftermarket seat in the future.

#16 ·
So I did some work this weekend...
Nice write-up. I don't think the cables look all that long and kind of like the broad sweeping look to them.

Do aftermarket seats still allow for the stock seat locking mechanism to work properly? I've seen posts that mention difficulty with the locking mechanism, but mine works really well and would be concerned about messing that up. Of course, a sore ass will trump that concern.;)

#19 ·
I thought you said it was a motorcycle build? If it's a motorcycle, then where's the chrome?

:)

(Looks good man!)

#21 ·
Betsy looks pretty bad ass right now. I too plan to do some upgrades to my 900 Custom in the next few weeks. I'm finally getting my 12 inch bars off my 800 from my ex so will probably put those on the 9. Still looking for a set of classic risers, and will be doing the extended lines, cables and wiring. Gonna be adding saddle bags as well. I might pull the trigger on the overdrive pulley and maybe a windshield or fairing as well, will see how the funds are. If I go with a fairing I'd like to find some patrol bags instead of the leather ones. But I really don't like the prices of them new :eek: I have the lowering kit already waiting to be installed. Will take a few weeks to get everything done, but I'm so excited to get started SOON!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.