Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, bought a brand new 2012 Vulcan 900 Custom back in April with 1 mile on the odometer. 3700 miles later, and my rear tire center tread is SEVERELY worn. I'm 6'1", 260lbs, and I've kept the tire at the manufacturer's recommended PSI since I bought the bike. It's the stock Dunlops. Is there some trick to getting better wear out of these tires? Are they just a very soft compound?

I'm getting to the point where I'm going to start customizing the bike (gel seat, intake, exhaust, fuel management computer) but I also want to see if I can avoid having to get a new rear tire every season because this amount of wear doesn't make any sense to me.

I don't hoon it, no burnouts, etc... but at this point I'm planning on a new rear tire already.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
The trick is to buy better tires. I got 8k miles out of my OEM rear. 15k on the Metzler I replaced it with. Metz also recommends a bit higher pressure than Kawasaki. I run my rear at 42 and front at 40. Bike handles better too!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The trick is to buy better tires. I got 8k miles out of my OEM rear. 15k on the Metzler I replaced it with. Metz also recommends a bit higher pressure than Kawasaki. I run my rear at 42 and front at 40. Bike handles better too!
I agree. I replaced the stock tires at 5500 miles and they were pretty much done. The ME880s had 10,000 miles on them when I sold the bike and will probably last a little longer. Plus drastically improved handling over the stock tires.

Is there an echo in here?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just passed 10k miles on my 2009 classic LT which I bought new. I'm getting a new rear tire this week. I could push it further but ... I don't want to. I learned a lesson 25 years ago ... not to "push" tires OR brakes. The front tire still has some tread on it but I'm replacing that one too. They are both the original Dunlop D404's.

If you really wore one out in 3700 miles ... I'd say that there has to be some other problem ... alignment perhaps. I'm a big guy too (6'3" 230lbs) and I've read every thread related to tires on this forum and almost everyone gets 8k to 12k on those OEM Dunlops.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've heard good things about Metzler ME880's from a friend who has them on his Harley. I'll have to price out a set. Almost afraid of better handling, I've hit the pegs more than a few times on this... Thanks for the help! :)

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I agree. I replaced the stock tires at 5500 miles and they were pretty much done. The ME880s had 10,000 miles on them when I sold the bike and will probably last a little longer. Plus drastically improved handling over the stock tires.

Is there an echo in here?
Graybush, I just saw that you sold your "9" and bought a ...um ... er ... adventure bike ... did you fall out of you jet with out a chute ... LOL

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Graybush, I just saw that you sold your "9" and bought a ...um ... er ... adventure bike ... did you fall out of you jet with out a chute ... LOL
It's true. I had 15k good miles with that bike, but the seed was planted on last year's Arkansas trip after my dad and I had to turn around several times when the pavement ended. I've ordered a set of crash bars so as soon as they get here, I'll start getting a feel for it off the pavement. The Tiger has >2.5 times the HP and almost double the torque of the 900. And it's a hoot to ride.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm at 6,750 miles on my 2014 that I bought back in April with less then 1 mile on the Odo. Tire is definitely needing replaced. Hoping my new tire gets here tomorrow so I can swap it out this weekend.

This will be the second bike I've taken to the darkside. ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got off the phone with the dealer... $318 for a Metzeler ME880 installed on the rear. Tire itself goes for $180 from J&P, front is $100. I'll probably have my private mechanic do the install for me. Guy on the phone said its not uncommon for these stock tires to only last 3800 miles and 10k miles is nearly unheard of to him... Sounds like a way to sell more tires IMHO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
purchased my 2010 Wolkin custom August 2014. Had to replace the rear tire before it would pass inspection with 6200 miles. Front tire had to be replaced early spring with 12,000 miles on odometer. Bike now has 13,300 Miles and once again, needs a new rear tire. Running OEM Dunlop and believe it's time to switch to Michelin or equal. i'm unsure about replacing back with Michelin and running original Dunlop in front until it's worn.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i'm unsure about replacing back with Michelin and running original Dunlop in front until it's worn.
As long as you use a tire of the same type, bias ply vs. radial, mixing brands shouldn't be a problem.

FWIW, I used Metzler 880s a couple times, and they last twice as long as the Dunlops, but the sidewalls start checking (cracking) rather quick. Perhaps that's just because of the Alabama sunshine and being parked outside while I'm at work all day. In any case, I have switched to Pirelli Night Dragons, and am using a sidewall treatment now.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Long story short, bought a brand new 2012 Vulcan 900 Custom back in April with 1 mile on the odometer. 3700 miles later, and my rear tire center tread is SEVERELY worn. I'm 6'1", 260lbs, and I've kept the tire at the manufacturer's recommended PSI since I bought the bike. It's the stock Dunlops. Is there some trick to getting better wear out of these tires? Are they just a very soft compound?

I'm getting to the point where I'm going to start customizing the bike (gel seat, intake, exhaust, fuel management computer) but I also want to see if I can avoid having to get a new rear tire every season because this amount of wear doesn't make any sense to me.

I don't hoon it, no burnouts, etc... but at this point I'm planning on a new rear tire already.
You should be getting around 10000 from the rear and 20000 from the front. I run Bridges. But there are other good brands. Just do not buy tires that are on sale, they are old and will shred in no time. Also consider a darkside mode. Ask Co0yerV2K about that, or Chanoc1077 they run darkside and getting huge milage out of it. My stock Dunlopes died out in no time too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just replaced my rear with Shinko's so it would pass safety when I bought it. The shop suggested Pirelli (310) or Metzler ($380) installed. The Shinkos were $190 installed so I went with those as I just shelled out for the bike. Reviews of them seem pretty good. The dealer said that they actually have better wear than the Pirelli's. I've had Pirelli car tires and they wore down quickly too if iirc.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I replaced my stocks around 8700 miles this past May. the rear was almost smooth and could barely see depth. the front had cupping issues but still had tread.

I replaced with a 230/60 and 90/90 Avons

·
Registered
166 Posts
I would not scrimp on the tires but that is just me. On my Custom I am considering the 200/70/15 for the rear for looks and drop a few rpm's cruising.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I went with Michelin commander II 170/80. Stock dunlops were toast around 5K miles, Michelin now have 5K and look like they will be good for another 7-10K miles. The taller 170/80 also corrected the speedo to within 1-2 MPH.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts