Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike has about 3500 miles on it I bought it with about 1200 miles and the issue started around 2000 miles.

In any gear if I get over half throttle it bogs down hard to where it's not strong acceleration and its gradually gotten worse to the point where I can't even get the bike over 30mph in any gear and if I'm going uphill then it's not going much more than 25mph.

First I changed the spark plugs and they looked bad, it seemed to fix the issue for a little while but then it came back,
then I ran sea foam through it and rode it around it seemed to fix it but it came back
It will sometimes randomly run fine but now its constantly running horrible even with sea foam, no matter the tank level, I changed the oil around 2800 miles, changed the air filter and made sure things were clean behind it and it looks fine. I don't have a ton of knowledge on bikes and have only had this one for about 6 months but am going crazy trying to figure out what I should try and fix, change next.

I run mid grade gas through it but no change no matter what grade fuel I run through it.

Appreciate any help in advance!

·
Super Moderator
3,306 Posts
Was thinking about your post. You stated the spark plugs corrected the issue for a short time. What did the spark plugs look like? Were they black like a too rich condition or glazed. You said it runs OK until put under load.
Check the following:
Air cleaner O ring, duct hose, and make sure everything is properly seated.
Throttle body assembly holder, make sure it’s tight.
Fuel tank vent hose, located top front of the tank under the front of the instrument cover.
Fuel line from tank, remove coil cover and check hose.
Check ignition coil connections.
Make sure oil level is not too high.
Also add some Techron to the fuel. Found it better than Sea foam.
If all this looks OK. Might want to look into throttle body opening fully.
Get back to us about the spark plugs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was thinking about your post. You stated the spark plugs corrected the issue for a short time. What did the spark plugs look like? Were they black like a too rich condition or glazed. You said it runs OK until put under load.
Check the following:
Air cleaner O ring, duct hose, and make sure everything is properly seated.
Throttle body assembly holder, make sure it’s tight.
Fuel tank vent hose, located top front of the tank under the front of the instrument cover.
Fuel line from tank, remove coil cover and check hose.
Check ignition coil connections.
Make sure oil level is not too high.
Also add some Techron to the fuel. Found it better than Sea foam.
If all this looks OK. Might want to look into throttle body opening fully.
Get back to us about the spark plugs.
The spark plugs looked pretty bad but can't remember what exactly they looked like. I'm going to check the ones I put in to see if they are still good . I'll check the other things you mentioned as well in the next couple days.

·
Registered
868 Posts
If it sits too long without running, with fuel in the tank, that can become a problem with any bike. The inside of the tank can become rusted under those conditions. Look inside the tank from the gas cap with a flashlight or similar, and see if you can see anything in the tank that looks like rust.

·
Registered
181 Posts
2019 bike - warranty?? Take it to the dealer. Plugs black would be a rich condition - fuel injectors or fuel pump. Do check battery voltage and connections.
also disconnect the battery to reset computer

·
Registered
8 Posts
These bikes are designed to run on 87 octane. A lot of times the mid grade gasoline sits a long time at gas stations since not many people use it. If the plugs were fowled that could be an indication of running too rich. Perhaps try draining the tank and put some fresh gas in (check the plugs too and see what they look like.)

I had a batch of bad gas in at one point and had a similar problem. If it still bogs down after that I would definitely take it back to the dealer since it should still be under the three year warranty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
2019 bike - warranty?? Take it to the dealer. Plugs black would be a rich condition - fuel injectors or fuel pump. Do check battery voltage and connections.
also disconnect the battery to reset computer
It's a 2012 sorry didn't realize i put 2019 and I did buy a limited warranty that covers some things like the fuel pump so if it's something there I can take it in if its something minor I would prefer to not have to take it 40min away and pay if I can fix it. I am finally getting some time today so going through what everyone says on here to see if I can sort it out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it sits too long without running, with fuel in the tank, that can become a problem with any bike. The inside of the tank can become rusted under those conditions. Look inside the tank from the gas cap with a flashlight or similar, and see if you can see anything in the tank that looks like rust.
The longest it sat was around a month after it started having issues otherwise I rode it a good hr + every day to and from work. But I did take a peek inside there looks like there could be rust or gunk at the bottom of the tank

·
Registered
868 Posts
Hmmm, if I didn't know any better, I would say it looks like some diesel fuel somehow got into the tank. The appearance of the spark plugs and fuel tank in the pictures are consistent with that.

You might try cleaning out the fuel tank (with what I'm not sure, something light and petroleum based) and cleaning the spark plugs. You also might clean out the fuel pump and the injectors.

You know, basically the same things you would do with a car if you accidently put diesel in it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmm, if I didn't know any better, I would say it looks like some diesel fuel somehow got into the tank. The appearance of the spark plugs and fuel tank in the pictures are consistent with that.

You might try cleaning out the fuel tank (with what I'm not sure, something light and petroleum based) and cleaning the spark plugs. You also might clean out the fuel pump and the injectors.

You know, basically the same things you would do with a car if you accidently put diesel in it.
Hmm I know I have always been careful about filling up at good gas stations I did start out using premium as that's what the guy at the dealership told me to use but when it started having issues that's one of the first things I changed but I'm 100% sure I never put any diesel in it haha not to say the person who owned it before me did at some point. After taking a peak I may take the tank off this weekend and clean it out and try to remove the rust I'll do some research on cleaning it

·
Registered
181 Posts
Did you check your oil level?? May be overfilled.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you check your oil level?? May be overfilled.
Its about middle of the little glass window at the bottom (level) I didn't pay much attention to it before I changed it I just figured I would try and eliminate one possible issue at a time
Brand new air filter is in it
Did an oil change & oil filter change about 700 or less miles ago and it's at the proper level
Spark plugs changed with NGK CPR7EAIX-9 Iridium IX Spark Plug around maybe 2500 miles and the issue was on and off for a little while but I took the plugs out now and looks like they may be fouling.
Tank looks rusty some at bottom

So I figure next thing is to clean out tank, replace plugs with new ones, I think the fuel filter is in the fuel pump so not sure how or if I can clean that some.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

Not sure if this could contribute to the issue but now that I think about it I didn't set or check gap on my spark plugs when I put them in (nevermind checked them and they are right around where they need to be 0.36in)

·
Registered
868 Posts
If you want to clean out the fuel tank, I've written before that you can use white vinegar and distilled water to clean it out. The procedure is, remove the tank, remove the fuel pump and sensors, tape up the holes with painter's tape (masking tape or duct tape are too hard to get off). Put in some vinegar and distilled water and let it stand for about 3 days, swishing the mixture around periodically. The vinegar is a very weak acid and it takes that long for it to work, and it also wan't harm the paint. Then rinse out with distilled water only. You have to use distilled water, otherwise the inside of the tank would flash rust in seconds with the normal salts in tap water. So the supplies for this should set you back around $10 to $15 for the tape, the white vinegar and jugs of distilled water.

Also, you can remove the fuel filter and clean it out as well. Quantum sells replacement fuel filters (3 to a package if I remember correctly) that don't cost very much, if you want to go that route. I don't recommend their replacement fuel pumps (people here are having problems with them), but the fuel filters seem ok. Stay with the stock fuel pump if at all possible, it seems to work the best.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey everyone sorry about the delay in posting back on here, I finally got time to get the tank off and emptied and will be cleaning it all out and the fuel filter. But when I was removing all the hoses I had one that leaked out a little fuel and I hadn't pulled hard on it to remove it so there was a little slit in the hose that may have been there the whole time and could have been the cause of the issue perhaps? Going to order a new one but also clean out the tank since i have it off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well the TUBE,JOINT-TANK,RED - Item #92192-0507 is not only $38 for a piece of rubber tubing :oops: but out of stock and back ordered from Kawasaki... So I am wondering if anyone knows any good aftermarket parts companies that would make that part because I can't seem to find anyone.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts