Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a sweet deal on a 2012 voyager but need a couple of questions answered.
I read reviews that they got the ride cooled down a bit. Can anyone confirm?
I also wondered if the clunk shift was the same as my 2010 classic.
Lastly does it have the fickle belt ie whiny belt / tranny racket.
If anyone can summarize changes from 2010 to 2012 it would help in my decision.

Thanks again,
Jimmy D

·
Registered
547 Posts
Buy it. 2012 has KAMS which is the heat management system and those withh it claim it works.
1st and second clunk.. Smooths out after that.
Belt whine is due to the overly tight Kaw spec. Loosen it and it goes away.

Lots of info on all three items.

gb

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I think it was the 11 and newer that have higher 1st & 2nd ratios to reduce the clunking. Cant say if it helped but my 12 clunks most times. It doesnt seem bad to me, have heard worse. I took the fan assembly out for a couple days to check into a stumbling issue I had. Turned out was the speed haler causing it, but the wife mentioned fealing more heat. This is the assembly behing the rear cylinder, part of the KAMS, so it does work.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
You've gotten good answers above; but I just wanted to throw out that nothing is being hurt by the clunky shifting. Kawi transmissions are pretty bulletproof. Just don't let it bother you! Lots of big twins have clunky 1-2 shifts. My 2014 1700 definitely has the clunk, but it's really no big deal. Doesn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the clunk doesn't bother me much. The heat either. After 2years of battling the whine I finally did the belt myself.(gettng close on the fix) I've been in several posts about it. It's too finicky to keep quiet but every bike has its own sweet spot. The bike on the market only has 1800 miles for a real bargain. I swore no more Kaws but may have to eat those words. Love the power and the look.
Thanks for your help,
Jimmy D

·
Registered
547 Posts
I love the Power and love the looks. 09 has best paint by a mile but no KAMS.
Heat has not been an issue. Tons of storage with the bags and trunk.
I added amp and upgraded the 4 speakers, added Kury hiway pegs, a brake modulator to the tour pack light,
an Ultimate seat set and big 3 V&H, Chucksters and PCV.

I gave $9k 3 years ago with 2200 miles or so on the clock. Wasn't a bargain, it was a steal....

Most comortable ride I've owned or ridden. And I've ridden a lot of different bikes.
Plan is to ride this until I can lift it.. Big comfy road sofa....

And as of Thursday its paid for!!! All mine.....

·
Registered
246 Posts
So if I can get a 2009 with blue paint, KAMS, and rear speaker, IPOD, etc the only think I am missing would be the heli gears.

·
Registered
580 Posts
My 2012 Voyager has had tranny whine in the higher gears since new. I've become so used to it that I hardly notice it any more. Some do some don't, the kawi's have their own character for sure. My 2006 1500 classic had a different engine knock/clatter every time I fired it up, but it was pretty much bullet proof.

·
Registered
45 Posts
2012 Voyager

When I decided to sell my 2011 Concours and get a Voyager, I used this site to determine that I wanted to get a 2012 or later because of the KAMS. I had also found out about the "running warm" issue, but was not concerned because the Concours did the same thing. After buying a used 2012 Voyager, I flushed the cooling system and installed Engine Ice, and addressed the ignition switch wiring issue at the same time.

The Engine Ice helped, but only reduced the time the cooling system spent with the fans running, just like on my Concours. And just like with my 1400 Concours, and the 1000 Concours before it, it's been trouble free. Yes, these bikes have their quirks, but so have all my bikes over the years.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I took my 2009 for a quick test ride today before purchasing and I couldn't believe how warm it was with the KAMS. I can only imagine how bad it would be without it. I am thinking running an aftermarket exhaust would make matters worse as the pipes aren't insulated as much.

·
Registered
213 Posts
In 2011 Kawasaki changed the mufflers from the slash to the tapered. I understand they changed the ECU map for the ignition timing as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts