Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2012 Vaquero - 3000 miles - with V & H Slipons & Air System ( brand?). I get a lot of back firing when I let off on the throttle. Will a Cobra Powrpro FI2000 or something else correct this ??? Thank you for your help !!!!

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Yup, do a search on here, you will find tons of info - and somewhat of a raging debate between the FI2000 and the Power Commander V. I've still been debating myself!
The FI2000 Power Pro (watch those model numbers!) continuously adjusts based upon monitoring injector information, but retains no information on shutting down. It takes it a couple of blocks worth of driving for it to rebuild its information for maximum performance. Advantage: you can change whatever (pipes, fuel, whatever), whenever, and it will adjust to it.
The PCV requires a map that matches your bike, and you can tweak the map to your heart's content! Ideally, you will get a map from a tuner that knows what the heck they are doing with the bike on a dyno! A bad map will make the bike run like crap. Oh, the PCV with ignition is the preferred model.
Both can cure the afterfiring that you are hearing. While plug-in tuners with maps are nothing new, the debate comes from if a product can provide a very similar gain by only monitoring the FI pulse. Personally, I read of too many users that are thrilled with the Cobra units to discount its effectiveness. I think it comes down to a matter of if you want plug-n-ride or you like to tinker! Oh, I am no expert, just an old grunt trying to figure this thing out myself! YMMV!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Set your idle adjustment through the LCD screen adjustment to +100 rpm and go for a test drive.Its proably been turned down so it sounds better at idle.The problem with that is not enough air gets into the combustion chamber to complete the fuel burn before it enters the exhaust-hense a popping or bang in exhaust system.You should be able to back off the idle adjustment once you prove to yourself that was the issue.I run mine at 0 postion now and only have the odd pop or bang.If I run a +50 no issue at all,but the idle at an intersection does sound a little high.This is a do it yourself possiable cure.A proper dyno tune should cure the issue also.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup, do a search on here, you will find tons of info - and somewhat of a raging debate between the FI2000 and the Power Commander V. I've still been debating myself!
The FI2000 Power Pro (watch those model numbers!) continuously adjusts based upon monitoring injector information, but retains no information on shutting down. It takes it a couple of blocks worth of driving for it to rebuild its information for maximum performance. Advantage: you can change whatever (pipes, fuel, whatever), whenever, and it will adjust to it.
The PCV requires a map that matches your bike, and you can tweak the map to your heart's content! Ideally, you will get a map from a tuner that knows what the heck they are doing with the bike on a dyno! A bad map will make the bike run like crap. Oh, the PCV with ignition is the preferred model.
Both can cure the afterfiring that you are hearing. While plug-in tuners with maps are nothing new, the debate comes from if a product can provide a very similar gain by only monitoring the FI pulse. Personally, I read of too many users that are thrilled with the Cobra units to discount its effectiveness. I think it comes down to a matter of if you want plug-n-ride or you like to tinker! Oh, I am no expert, just an old grunt trying to figure this thing out myself! YMMV!
Thank you for your help !!!! Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Set your idle adjustment through the LCD screen adjustment to +100 rpm and go for a test drive.Its proably been turned down so it sounds better at idle.The problem with that is not enough air gets into the combustion chamber to complete the fuel burn before it enters the exhaust-hense a popping or bang in exhaust system.You should be able to back off the idle adjustment once you prove to yourself that was the issue.I run mine at 0 postion now and only have the odd pop or bang.If I run a +50 no issue at all,but the idle at an intersection does sound a little high.This is a do it yourself possiable cure.A proper dyno tune should cure the issue also.

Thank you for your help !!! Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts