Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've received my new front and rear 2012 SW Pulleys from SW.

To anyone whose got the latest pulleys or perhaps the old ones...

My question is that the ones I receives are supposedly 7075-T4 Aluminum as SW has told me. They look nothing like the pictures on the website. That is the aluminum has more of a "greenish" finish. Has anyone got this as well?

Also, I ordered the rear "silver" finish pulley and was quite disapointed when it arrived wrapped in two sheets of brown paper which clung to the pulley as I unwrapped it. It left blemishes on the finish product which had to be freshly painted. I tried to clean it and made things worst as the paint rubbed off. As well the back of the pulley is not painted. Has anyone had similar issues?

So I'd like to figure out what to do with these pulleys. From what I read on the net this type of aluminum doesn't fair well to corrosion. From what I see it's anodize or paint them...but how? Not so familiar with this aluminum and want to ensure a good adherance finish especially from what I've just seen.

Would be nice to hear from anyone with these latest pulleys as to whether I actually got the latest materials and if so how did you treat them? They certainly don't look (color wise) like the pictures on the websites.

Thanks,

Denis

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I bought my rear in January, then the front in March. Both are the new ones. The front has a black finish, the rear is the raw finish. I left the rear alone as even in the "raw" state it has a nice gray finish that is sealed. I would contact SW to discuss what you received and the condition. I have heard/read SW will replace if you are not happy. At a minimum let them know how you received the pulleys. The alloy used should be fine. They went to a harder alloy.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Bosco,

Mine certainly isn't black nor a nice silver finish. It's more on a greenish gold format. It has a primer finish look. The front and rear pulleys have the same look. The front has a steel silver insert that is bolted down on the gold/greenish part. I don't know if this greenish/gold is a finish or what. Can it even be mounted as is? Here are some photo's. Both parts weren't in any "formal" packaging. The front pulley was in a sealed plastic bag inserted in a USPS Flat Rate Envelope and the rear pulley was wrapped in two sheets of "brown paper" (reminds me of the ones they wrap your meat in at the grocery store) which was then inserted in a cut cardboard box used to wrap it up in. The cut out din't fit and was taped shut with packing tape. Then an additional strip of card board was used to close it up. Not professional...makes one wonder where it came from.

I've sent an e-mail on the weekend to Scootworks...might hear something next week.

Denis

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are some additional pics of the packaging. The individual items where then inserted into a box...14x14x6.

Another note - the inner spline of the front pulley also shows signs of corrosion. So what happens if I install it this way. Will this thing corrode down onto the shaft?

Denis

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Hey Bosco,

Mine certainly isn't black nor a nice silver finish. It's more on a greenish gold format. It has a primer finish look. The front and rear pulleys have the same look. The front has a steel silver insert that is bolted down on the gold/greenish part. I don't know if this greenish/gold is a finish or what. Can it even be mounted as is? Here are some photo's. Both parts weren't in any "formal" packaging. The front pulley was in a sealed plastic bag inserted in a USPS Flat Rate Envelope and the rear pulley was wrapped in two sheets of "brown paper" (reminds me of the ones they wrap your meat in at the grocery store) which was then inserted in a cut cardboard box used to wrap it up in. The cut out din't fit and was taped shut with packing tape. Then an additional strip of card board was used to close it up. Not professional...makes one wonder where it came from.

I've sent an e-mail on the weekend to Scootworks...might hear something next week.

Denis
Here are some additional pics of the packaging. The individual items where then inserted into a box...14x14x6.

Another note - the inner spline of the front pulley also shows signs of corrosion. So what happens if I install it this way. Will this thing corrode down onto the shaft?

Denis
Thanks for the pics. My rear pulley looks just like yours, I guess it has a green hue.... But, that's the unfinished version that folks will paint. I just left mine as is and I like the look.

Your front is different, only in finish. Mine is just like that with the center steel insert that mounts to the shaft. Other than the finish I think your good to go. I don't believe SW has made any of the older styles (problem pulleys) since mid last year (2011).

If you paid for the polished silver finish you should send it back for the correct finish. Also, I am a bit surprised at the packaging. Both mine came in boxes, but unless they were damaged in shipping you are still good to go.

Installation is pretty straight forward. Good luck. I love the way mine runs with the pulleys.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input BOSCO.

I fully expected the rear pulley to come fully painted...all surfaces and well packaged...that's why I paid for the "finished" product!

Thanks for looking at the pics and letting me know about your "greenish" hue. Do any of your pulley's look like any "rust" setting in? I expect the color to be some "primer" type finish cause from what I see on the NET the color of 7075-T4 aluminum should be shinny like raw aluminum.

I now need to address the rear pulley since it's already got paint on it. I'll let you know what come out of SW's. Glad to see you enjoy both pulleys. I got to say I'm leary of putting them on after seing what I got. It just sheds doubt on workmanship...

Denis

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Looks like your came ready to paint (like mine). I just left mine with that finish (which is not a typical primer gray), otherwise I would have painted it. Your front looks to have the same finish, which would be fine to install. Mine was black, and figured it's finished well enough as it's covered up.

Agree, the packaging was bad (would not have believed it without pics), and expect better from SW. As for the rust on the front pulley insert, I would clean it up (as it looks like flash rust) and paint. Or, you could return for a replacement. Another option is to return, get your money back and look at the new Barons pulley (front only).

Me, unless it's damaged I'd paint, install, and ride... Not worth the time to package, ship back (usually your cost), and wait for a replacement. End result will be the same, pulley is covered (front). Rear pulley will look good painted. May paint mine when I have to pull the rear wheel for a tire replacement.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Since SW won't do it, you guys that are bent on buying their products should just get the parts in bare aluminum and either alodine them (easy to do yourself), or send them out to be hard anodized, like the charcoal gray finish on fine cookware. Anodizing actually goes into the surface, and the surface itself will have a hardness equalling cold-rolled steel. It is extremely wear resistant.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
My front is like that (charcoal grey/black all over). Attached are pics of the rear pulley. I like the unfinished look so far. They state Raw/Unfinished, but it does have a finish on it of some kind. The pulleys from SW (since last year) are the new harder alloy (to address noise).

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Wow yours looks great bosco. From the pictures she looks silver. When the pulley is verticle the "greenish/gold" hue seems to be less apparent. I guess it's hardy as well since you've been ridding on it most of the year. I'd leave it the way it is also.

SW replied and asked me to send pictures which I did. They will ship me a replacement. I wonder if I should risk getting it finished again.

FYI - I talked with Meancycles and had them check their pulleys..and yes they are all greenish/gold tinged. The "finished" ones are only so on the front...nothing on the rear nor grooves.

When you installed both pulleys, did you still have to remove the front belt bumper or did the combination of the two pulleys allow you to keep it there?

Denis

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Wow yours looks great bosco. From the pictures she looks silver. When the pulley is verticle the "greenish/gold" hue seems to be less apparent. I guess it's hardy as well since you've been ridding on it most of the year. I'd leave it the way it is also.

SW replied and asked me to send pictures which I did. They will ship me a replacement. I wonder if I should risk getting it finished again.

FYI - I talked with Meancycles and had them check their pulleys..and yes they are all greenish/gold tinged. The "finished" ones are only so on the front...nothing on the rear nor grooves.

When you installed both pulleys, did you still have to remove the front belt bumper or did the combination of the two pulleys allow you to keep it there?

Denis
Thanks. That's what I thought, so I didn't paint it. I have had zero issues (as I expected) with the pulleys. When I ordered in January, I contacted SW to make sure I was getting the new designed pulleys. They had just stopped production to move into their new facility, so I new what I received were new off the line. They had actually stopped making the old ones sometime last summer (2011), based on my conversations.

You still have to remove the front belt bumper as the front pulley is physically larger and would hit the bumper. The front is easier, so do that one first. The rear pulley is easy as well, just takes longer as you have to remove the wheel.

Also, when you adjust the belt tension, I set mine to 4-5mm deflection (10lbs of force) with the wheel on the ground.

Have fun and good luck.
Russ (aka bosco)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great info bosco. I've been running my tires "lean" this year in wants of replacing them during the winter/spring season. I have the new sets in the house. I intend on doing themboth at the same time...wheels and pulleys. All is new...

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Great info bosco. I've been running my tires "lean" this year in wants of replacing them during the winter/spring season. I have the new sets in the house. I intend on doing themboth at the same time...wheels and pulleys. All is new...
Not a bad way to do it. All at once.... :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Denis, I can tell you this (from having worked in an anodizing shot for 4 years) The front pulley looks like Type III Hard Anodize on T-7075 billet aluminum. The hard coat on 70 series looks way different than on, say, 60 series. They can't put as much build up on 70 series as it will "burn" the material. The hard anodize is there for wear and corrosion prevention. As far as the rear pulley, it looks like it is also anodized. But, it looks like a poor anodize job, due to the staining. Almost like they started to burn on the rack a little.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Great info Matt.

With this anodized format is the intent to stop oxidation/wear/corrosion? So the "raw" finish can be installed without further treatment? Can the pulley be painted ditrectly to it or does it require special "aluminum" property primers in order to paint/powder coat? Can it be re-anodized to color coat?

Might as well ask!

Denis

PS - To ensure the picture doesn't mislead you - the front picture of the rear pulley is that of a painted silver format...their (SW's) "Finished" format. The paint rubbed away and that may account for the staining that you may perceive. It comes with a "Raw" finish on the back.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Since anodizing removes the electrical continuity of the surface of the aluminum, I'm not sure about powder coating. (Since powder coating relies on static electricity to adhere the powder to the material prior to baking) But, yes, you can paint it. You can anodize it a different color, however, being 70 series aluminum, if you were to have it stripped and re-done, you may lose too much surface material there fore losing the specs of the pulley. If you were to re-hard anodize it after stripping, it won't get the build up needed to return to spec and run the risk of burning up the pulley if they tried to build it up too much.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for sharing your expertise Matt. All good information.

Well got confirmation that my new pulley is in the mail. Expect it in 3 days or so. I'll post an update when it arrives...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Completed Install

Good day all,

Installed my OD pulleys (front & rear) along with new tires. Took a few spins last night. Definite change. It's really strange to be going "faster" than the "displayed" speedometer reading. First imprerssions are very nice. I'll post results for those interested after I get some time on them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts