Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a 2012 voyager with 17,400 miles, or a new one and would like to know if there have been any differences between the two different model years that make the price difference worth while. the only thing that I noticed is that the 2012 model I am looking at does not include the ABS brake system ??? Any input would be appreciated

·
Registered
281 Posts
The 2013 and up came withe the KAMS Kawasaki Air Management System to push the engine heat away from the rider. The 2015 has ABS standard. The new addition is that the 2015 Voyager and Vaquero will now have an O2 sensor. Not sure how that will affect performance. You can get a 2015 in Florida for $16k out the door which includes all taxes and fees. I wish I could retrofit the KAMS system to my Vaquero. I sweat my balls every ride with the heat these 1700s put out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The KAMS kit is installed on the 12 that I am looking at. I currently have a 2011 Nomad and fully understand the sweating your balls off at red lights and in traffic....lol

·
Registered
580 Posts
I don't think there is any major difference. There may be different colors, etc. To those who have issues with heat, have you looked into installing a manual switch to kick both fans in before the temp gets high. There is a lot of info on here about it and it makes a drastic change

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
The two biggest differences are going to be the o2 sensor and the ABS.

The o2 sensor isn't likely to make much of a difference except that, for a short while, aftermarket exhaust systems will be tricky as you'll need a bung for the o2 sensor installed.

ABS, IMHO, is worth every penny. It makes a tremendous difference. On the Kawasaki, the ABS system is two fold. In addition to ABS, it's a linked system. So if you have that panic situation that all-too-many riders have where you end up slamming on the rear brake or grabbing the front brake; on the Kawi, it'll apply pressure to both brakes and keep them from locking up, regardless of which brake you actually hit. But lighter pressure and lower speeds, it just sits back.

ABS is a passive system. There's no REAL disadvantage. If you're the worlds most proficient rider, you'll never use it. But man, if that day ever comes where you make some sort of silly mistake when some idiot pulls out in front of you, it sure will put into perspective just how cheap going with an ABS equipped model really was.

My $0.02! Now that I've got it, I won't own another bike without ABS.

There are deals to be had! Lots of deals on brand new. Seek out 2014 new-old-stock models too. There are still some of those around and they can be had for a super great price. I bought my '14 Vaquero like that and saved about $6k. Still a brand new bike (heck, it was still in the crate when I bought it! Had to wait for assembly to take delivery!)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still haven't committed with either deal! Voyagers are hard to come by around here. I don't get it either, they are fantastic bikes! I also want to work out a trade for my 11 Nomad. Nobody wants to give me a fair value on it, and I am not willing to just give it away. Typical deal, yours is worth nothing and there's is worth everything. I will have to do some searching for a 13, or 14 leftover! Appreciate your input

·
Registered
117 Posts
The KAMS was Standard on 2012's it was the first year, the other thing you may want to consider is Warranty, 3 years standard new, and can extend 3 more years, the 2012 would already be in the extended portion of warranty, after the experiences I had with mine I would want all the warranty I could get if I planed to keep it for any length of time. JMO...

·
Registered
580 Posts
The KAMS was Standard on 2012's it was the first year, the other thing you may want to consider is Warranty, 3 years standard new, and can extend 3 more years, the 2012 would already be in the extended portion of warranty, after the experiences I had with mine I would want all the warranty I could get if I planed to keep it for any length of time. JMO...
Just wondering what issues you had

·
Registered
580 Posts
Still haven't committed with either deal! Voyagers are hard to come by around here. I don't get it either, they are fantastic bikes! I also want to work out a trade for my 11 Nomad. Nobody wants to give me a fair value on it, and I am not willing to just give it away. Typical deal, yours is worth nothing and there's is worth everything. I will have to do some searching for a 13, or 14 leftover! Appreciate your input
If possible you are way better off trying to sell your nomad privately.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just wondering what issues you had
Dlars, don't know if you remember back in 2014 a thread you were in on about noise in the trans, but the output shaft bearing was a major issue for me.
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/54-vulcan-1700/137522-singing-trans.html
And I was starting to hear the whine again.

And the most recent was the steering head bearings, they have been tightened twice on my dime and were going to be replaced finally on their dime but i bought something else instead, and am very happy with my decision. Not to say I didn't love the Voyager, but I Love the new one more. and a deal I couldn't pass up. :smile2:

So warranty is a big issue for me.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Dlars, don't know if you remember back in 2014 a thread you were in on about noise in the trans, but the output shaft bearing was a major issue for me.
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/54-vulcan-1700/137522-singing-trans.html
And I was starting to hear the whine again.

And the most recent was the steering head bearings, they have been tightened twice on my dime and were going to be replaced finally on their dime but i bought something else instead, and am very happy with my decision. Not to say I didn't love the Voyager, but I Love the new one more. and a deal I couldn't pass up. :smile2:

So warranty is a big issue for me.
Ok, ya I do recall that. I've had a whine in my tranny since it was new. I don't really hear it until I'm in 4th gear. I have about 28000 miles on it now and it sounds about the same. I attribute mine to gear noise as it quits when I pull in the clutch

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
There have been a couple of reports of major early failures and issues; but the overwhelming majority, including many who put some SERIOUS miles on, have not. That's no guarantee the one you get won't have those issues though. Kawasaki's 3 year warranty and available extended warranty sure are nice, though! And if those are a concern, that's another notch for a new 14/15 model.

There is a certain peace of mind knowing that I'm under warranty until April 2018, and if I were so inclined, I could extend that for a few hundred bucks by another three years.

I ride with a group of guys who, right now are pretty much all on the same bike, but have ridden all sorts of bikes and, we've had others in the groups with different bikes. Goldwings, Vulcans, Harley's, Victory's, Yamaha's, you name it. And they've all had quirks, even major quirks requiring extensive repairs. One Goldwing; which is considered one of the most reliable bikes you can buy, had an alternator failure that resulted in the bike being pretty extensively torn down and out of commission for about two months. One guy had a Road King that had a total engine failure (snapped timing chain, damaged valves, etc.) after 26,000 miles. A Dyna that had a shift linkage break during a ride. Steering head bearing failures, leaking fork seals. Every calamity you could think of. The truth is, every model of bike seems to have some quirk or common failure item; and some "common failure items" aren't all that common, internet forums aren't a great cross-section of the "general population".

·
Registered
117 Posts
Roman.... I couldn't agree more, I have had the Limited since April and 3500 miles on it and already had 2 recalls, but figured i would try my luck with something else and am totally happy at this point, they are machines, and we all know machines break, it's just a matter of when...

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Roman.... I couldn't agree more, I have had the Limited since April and 3500 miles on it and already had 2 recalls, but figured i would try my luck with something else and am totally happy at this point, they are machines, and we all know machines break, it's just a matter of when...
I got my Vaquero in April! Good month for a bike.

Mine has 5k miles on it but whose counting? *cough cough*

You've got the bike you want and that's what really matters. I cringe when people forego getting the bike they want because of some perceived common failure item, or fuel economy, or any other silly reason. Within reason, of course. There are some serious duds out there. I'd have reservations about buying a BMW or a Can-Am right now unless you want it enough to be ready for serious repairs. But even though certain bikes are a bit less reliable than others, most are pretty reliable and most of those "common problems" are less than a big deal. Get the bike you want and ride the heck out of it; that's what really matters!

Most of the group I ride with are on Ultras. They sure love them! That was on my list and I did test ride two of them; both '14 model years (different trim levels). Harley is doing things very right with those machines. But Kawi had them beat on price, styling (subjective I know), and in my experience and for me; ride quality. The latter being numero uno in my book. Actually, that was kind of what I was looking for, it was very much tunnel vision. Brand, features, looks, all secondary to what it was like to ride.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Very well said all of you gentlemen.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would pay the extra for the ABS, I recently totaled my 2012 Vaquero and it was because I locked up the front brake. I am now thinking of buying the 2015 Voyager, I love the look of the 2015 over previous years just not a fan of the two tone paint schemes. I know my Vaquero was two tone but it was different as there was a distinct line on the divide. While I am going to miss my Vaquero, I am looking forward to the new bike. I just have to heal up so I can ride again.

BTW, having a broken shoulder bone, collar bone and 6 ribs sucks, and I do not recommend it to anyone.

·
Registered
256 Posts
There's a certain pleasure in picking up a brand new bike with less than 10 showing on the odo, knowing that you aren't inheriting some jackass's problems.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I bought a 2012 Voyager w/ABS.

I will never buy another touring bike without ABS ever again.

I had an accident back in 2010 and if I had ABS on that harley, I probably would not have hit the back end of the minivan. I would have stopped because I would have had a rear brake that I could mash down without locking up the rear wheel.

My vote is 2015!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I bought a 2012 Voyager w/ABS.

I will never buy another touring bike without ABS ever again.

I had an accident back in 2010 and if I had ABS on that harley, I probably would not have hit the back end of the minivan. I would have stopped because I would have had a rear brake that I could mash down without locking up the rear wheel.

My vote is 2015!
Yep, and the K-ACT system means, in a moment of panic, grabbing one brake activates both in a heavy braking scenario. When you tell that big ol' Voyager it's time to stop, it'll stop!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts