Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought this was interesting - though sad.

North Carolina statewide, there were 846 fatal collisions on highways in 2012. In those wrecks, 899 people died, including 98 pedestrians, 15 bicyclists and 79 motorcyclists.

Drive, ride and walk safe in 2013!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Reading this got me looking for the Arizona Stats (which seem to stop at 2011 as of right now)

http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/statistics/crash/

Most interesting section (to me anyway) was right towards the beginning;

BREAKDOWN OF CRASHES BY TIME
PEAK MONTH FOR ALL CRASHES - DECEMBER
PEAK DAY FOR ALL CRASHES - FRIDAY
PEAK HOUR FOR ALL CRASHES - 5 PM - 6 PM
PEAK MONTH FOR FATAL CRASHES - AUGUST
PEAK DAY FOR FATAL CRASHES - SATURDAY
PEAK DATE FOR ALL CRASHES IN 2011 - DECEMBER 13TH (496 CRASHES)
PEAK DATE FOR FATAL CRASHES IN 2011 - AUGUST 9TH (9 CRASHES)
PEAK HOUR FOR ALCOHOL RELATED CRASHES - 2 AM - 3 AM
PEAK DAY FOR MOTORCYCLE CRASHES - SATURDAY
PEAK HOUR FOR FATAL MOTORCYCLE CRASHES - 2 PM - 3 PM

Food for thought.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
In Michigan, a state police report found that motorcycle deaths surged 18 percent during 2012 – the year lawmakers repealed the state’s helmet requirement. By comparison, overall traffic deaths increased a more modest 5.3 percent.

The number of Michigan riders killed without a helmet went from five in 2011 to 55 last year, according to the police report, while a study by the University of Michigan indicated 26 of those riders would likely have survived had they been wearing helmets.

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Direction David Strickland has warned that “every state” that has repealed its helmet laws has seen a sharp increase in fatalities. The agency reported that in 2008, 822 riders would have survived had they worn helmets – while also estimated another 1,829 motorcyclists survived crashes by wearing helmets.

source: http://www.nbcnews.com/business/motorcycle-deaths-rise-again-helmet-law-repeals-blamed-6C9632642

I'm done!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've never really been adamant about NOT wearing a helmet. Considering my shaved head, it's not like the wind is flowing through my hair anyway :eek:

·
Registered
864 Posts
Go over the handle bars at 10-15 mph and land on yer head you will be dang glad you had a helmet on.
Thats what happened to me, now in my case Mrs. Bulldozer made it REAL clear she aint changin diapers and spoon feeding me for the next 20 years so i use one outa fear of gettin hurt not gettin dead. Bulldozer

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hahahahaha :what::D

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I can see myself gettin brain damaged, having the mind of a 3yr old, and after the s/o kicks me to the curb im livin in on of them adult care centers with a pissed of 350lb spinster givin me sponge baths and doin kinky crap to me against my feeble will. Thats why i wear a helmet.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I can see myself gettin brain damaged, having the mind of a 3yr old, and after the s/o kicks me to the curb im livin in on of them adult care centers with a pissed of 350lb spinster givin me sponge baths and doin kinky crap to me against my feeble will. Thats why i wear a helmet.
I misread your comment, thinking that you were referring to your significant other hurting you, not the actual injury.

To be serious, yeah I'd be more worried about being a vegetable too. Once my quality of life drops that much, I'm not sure that I'd enjoy the remainder of it too much.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I had a next door neighbor paralyzed from neck down from swimming accident.

He lived to 61 which is unprescendented. Infection normally gets them before that age.

He had a caretaker that helped out but he had to work another job so he called me at all hours to help him out. He had a blow pipe connected to phone which would dial operator.

I could not live that way guys... I could fill up this whole page with what I learned from him.

I'm wearing a dam helmet!

·
Registered
864 Posts
I misread your comment, thinking that you were referring to your significant other hurting you, not the actual injury.

To be serious, yeah I'd be more worried about being a vegetable too. Once my quality of life drops that much, I'm not sure that I'd enjoy the remainder of it too much.
I actually did go over the handle bars on my dual sport bike > dang dog < if you are ever in south Tx stop by and i will show you the helmet. At a minimum even if i didnt have brain damage i woulda been really ugly ( ok uglier ) . Had my armored jacket on , saved my arm but i broke 4 ribs. Right knee took a hard hit peeled the skin off to the bone so now i ride in kevlar jeans too. bd

·
Registered
52 Posts
I actually did go over the handle bars on my dual sport bike > dang dog < if you are ever in south Tx stop by and i will show you the helmet. At a minimum even if i didnt have brain damage i woulda been really ugly ( ok uglier ) . Had my armored jacket on , saved my arm but i broke 4 ribs. Right knee took a hard hit peeled the skin off to the bone so now i ride in kevlar jeans too. bd
Nice. I'm in Southern AZ. Haven't been in Texas since 2008 when moving out here from FL. I was looking at chaps on Amazon seeing as the pair my inlaws bought for me when I had the Buell were for a 40lb heavier version of me :p

·
Registered
864 Posts
Nice. I'm in Southern AZ. Haven't been in Texas since 2008 when moving out here from FL. I was looking at chaps on Amazon seeing as the pair my inlaws bought for me when I had the Buell were for a 40lb heavier version of me :p

ya i ride with chaps in the winter, but they are two hot here most of the time thats why i ride in the kevlar jeans, They are a little warmer than regular jeans but not that bad. After 6 months waiting on my knee to heal its worth it to me.

·
Registered
52 Posts
ya i ride with chaps in the winter, but they are two hot here most of the time thats why i ride in the kevlar jeans, They are a little warmer than regular jeans but not that bad. After 6 months waiting on my knee to heal its worth it to me.
Will have to look up Kevlar jeans. I think that's what our pastor wears as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts