Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow Vulcan owners,

This may be a bit trivial, but...

I bought a new 2012 Custom in April, 0 mile crate bike. I've got just over 1500 miles on the bike now, and I'm really enjoying the ride.
Ever since I picked the bike up from the dealer, for the 600 mile break-in check, the left grip leaves a black film on my hand.
I'd suspect somethings wrong with the grips, if it were an issue with both hands.
I figured it was grease from the paws of the mechanic that felt it necessary to tweak my clutch leaver. (Which I soon readjusted.)
I've removed the grip and scrubbed it with dish soap, and it helped, but it didn't completely solve the problem.
I really like the stock grips on this bike, perfect size and feel.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Has anyone else experienced such a thing?

Thanks folks!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I figured it was grease from the paws of the mechanic that felt it necessary to tweak my clutch leaver. (Which I soon readjusted.)
I had to laugh at this, because I just had my 600 mile service this morning, and the mechanic tweaked my clutch too... and I had to immediately un-tweak it...

·
Registered
33 Posts
LOL so funny he did the same shit to me........pulled off the lot and was like wtf....(almost stalled like twice)...but back to the grip thing is it really hot were you are? Cause if it is the rubber can sort of melt off and become sticky.....best solution is to buy new grips

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I got tired of the problem on my 07 custom so last year I bought ISO grips. Now I'm getting it from left ISO. What can you clean the rubber with safely?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it possible to replace just the rubber sleeves, without changing the throttle tube?
When they are listed for 7/8" or 1" bars, does that mean they are just replacement rubber pieces, and is one grip sized differently to compensate for the throttle tube diameter?
I've looked at the ISO grips, but they're O.D. is too large for my taste.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
When you buy a set of grips for 1" bars the right side is sized to fit the throttle tube. The only issue is that you'll need to cut off OEM grip without damaging the plastic throttle tube.

·
Registered
96 Posts
or find someone who replaced their stock grips and see if they will make a deal.

I swapped out my grips for a set of Avon grips! Love them! But I gave my grips to someone else needing a set...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts