Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

We were out pricing rides for my wife. Here is the "deal" the stealer is offering on a 2012 Vulcan Classic...$7640 less trade of her 2003 VLX600...$1800...net after dealer prep, freight and doc fees....$6363-. After tax and title and plate transfer fee...out the door...$6928. Was hoping to go lower, but they were not dealing. What do you guys think. KBB has trade at $1800. Just not sure of the $7649. What do you guys think. Thanks.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I'd ask if they have a 2011 or even a 2010 and see what the price for the older bike is, should be (7k or less). There is no difference in what you get other than perhaps color.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried that...nothing. They claim inventories are already low because of the unseasonably warm weather we are having here in Chicago. Been in the 70's all week. This never happens in March.

·
Banned
334 Posts
Just not sure of the $7649. What do you guys think. Thanks.
If this was October, it would be $6949. Prices are up because spring is here.

If he won't haggle on the bike, try to get a discount on jackets/helmets/chrome, or a maybe a special deal on the extended warranty.

If you're willing to go with a used bike, you can get a clean low-mileage VN900 for about $4000. Take a ride up to Wisconsin and visit Road Track And Trail. They always have a bunch of 9's for sale, and they're relatively honest as far as dealers go.

Joe

·
Registered
702 Posts
Three months ago I got a 2011 900 Classic for $6200 plus tax and freight. Out the door for around $7100. I was told that was best time of year to buy and it seems that was true. MSRP was $8200...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd ask if they have a 2011 or even a 2010 and see what the price for the older bike is, should be (7k or less). There is no difference in what you get other than perhaps color.
That's good advice, I got my 09 new noncurrent classic in 2011 for 5000.00. I had to drive half way across Colorado to get it but I saved 1500 in doing so. Some dealers offer internet specials and you already know the bike, they're all the same whether you buy it around the corner or across the country.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Three months ago I got a 2011 900 Classic for $6200 plus tax and freight. Out the door for around $7100. I was told that was best time of year to buy and it seems that was true. MSRP was $8200...
I did the same thing...best time to buy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discount Vulcans

I did a search on CycleTrader.com, within 100 miles of downtown Chicago. There are some new 2009s for about $6200 at Don and Roy's in Brookfield, WI. You can always throw the old bike on Craigslist. You should be able to get better than the KBB trade in for it. If you sell the old bike yourself and buy the new 09, you can save a couple thousand. Also, there are usually some pretty good prices on new non-current bikes on eBay. You might have to cough up a few hundred for shipping. If you must have the new 2012, $7640 sounds like a good price. But, if you can accept the new 2009 for $6200 in Red, Blue or Black, here's the link...

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2009-Kawasaki-Vulcan-900-Classic-97233123

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Pricing

If you're willing to dive down to Aurora, IL, there is Fox Valley Cycles, on Hill St. He has a number of good used bikes. Great dealer. Has a WEB site with the used listed. Google them and check out his listings. I bought my 800B there and am very happy with them.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
just remember before you buy out of state or even out of the local area that you may need tha local "stealership" as you call it.....if you buy elsewhere expect to take the bike elsewhere when it needs warranty/service work....yes the local will honor the warranty he has to....and thats all he has to do... if the purchased elsewhere bike is brought in it will sit and wait till all their customer's bikes have been looked at...it kinda sucks when the service manager say to ya " uhh i think we can squeeze the end of next week" then says to the guy behind you who bought his bike from him " bring er around back ill get one of the guys look at it for ya"......

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. I always prefer to buy local even if it costs me a couple extra bucks for the exact reasons Worm mentioned. A new bike was a must. Didn't have to be a 2012, but definitely new. My wife has had 2 used rides, so it's time.

As for the trade, $1800 isn't great, but the tires have some dry rot between the treads and should probably be replaced. And when you consider the sales tax savings, it grossed up to $1950. Because of the tires, not sure how much more I could get on the open market. I'm not one to BS about the tires. I know how I would feel if, as a sort of newbie buyer, someone was not up front about something like that...especially when it comes to safety.

We spoke to the sales guy on Sunday and again today. He is willing to work with us on a windshield and installation. The wife loves the color of the '12. It's different and she likes different. It's called Candy Arabian Red. Because of the metallic flake, it is really sweet looking.

So based on that, we verbally committed to buying it. Still nothing signed or deposit made so we can still back out. But it looks like it pretty much a done deal. Will probably get it over the weekend. Will post pics when I get a chance. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I got my VN900 Classic last year at this time. It is an 09 and was still in the box. I walked out the door at $6300. Bust thing is to shop around and ask! If I didn't ask about leftoveres, I never would have known that they had it. Good Luck.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Last year, on a brand-new 2011 Vulcan 900 Classic SE, I paid $7637.48 out the door with no down or trade-in. Having bought it, I usually get about 10% off, sometimes more than that, on all purchases.

Grandpa

1 - 14 of 14 Posts