Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made an offer today on a new 2011 Vulcan 1700 Nomad. Trading my 2012 Kawasaki Concours. Ready to get back to a cruiser (my wife hates the Concours and will not ride on it). Besides, I'm an old fart going the speed limit on a bike that's meant to go fast. I'm sure it's laughing it's anus off at me.

Keeping my fingers crossed on the offer!

Rusty

Blountville, TN

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I must be the only guy in these 1700 forums that likes his wife.... and she has more motorcycles than I do..... only been married 42 years and together since Freshman in High School... we are both 62....

·
Registered
204 Posts
Made an offer today on a new 2011 Vulcan 1700 Nomad. Trading my 2012 Kawasaki Concours. Ready to get back to a cruiser (my wife hates the Concours and will not ride on it). Besides, I'm an old fart going the speed limit on a bike that's meant to go fast. I'm sure it's laughing it's anus off at me.

Keeping my fingers crossed on the offer!

Rusty

Blountville, TN
Hope you are successful. The Nomad is a great bike!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Bubba, I am right there with you. I sold my Yamaha because my wife hated the ride and would have taken a small fortune to make it ride better for her. She loves the Nomad with the air ride suspension and comfy seat. Now she is after me to buy the voyager style trunk kit with a wrap around back padding which will be my next big purchase for the bike, probably this summer.....because when she is happy then I am happy!

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
This Voyager does not ride near a good as the Venture did, plus the Venture had a ton more room for the passenger and larger floorboards for both. It rode smoother and top end was faster. Not that it really mattered about that. It was longer, and taller. I like taller and longer...

My wife still has plenty of room behind me on the Voyager, but she is a LOT closer to me than she was on the Venture. She did not like the stock backrest so I got the gel seats and larger/taller backrest. Took out the 3 vibration dampers behind the back rest, which puts it flush against the trunk, and back 2 inches farther. She says it has less vibration with the vibration dampers out and mounted directly to the trunk.

Everyone says the Ventureis top heavy. They say that about the Voyager also. I think when someone tells me a motorcycle is top heavy, what they are really telling me it is more motorcycle (physical size, not power wise) than they are comfortable with. Not everyone can ride a physically large motorcycle. The Venture is physically by dimension size larger than the Voyager. I feel no difference in the way I ride between my moped, 650, 1100's, and the 1700. They all feel the same under my butt. Some just turn quicker or goes faster.

I only did not get a new Venture because the only thing they have changed since 2002, the last time any change was made which was larger carbs, is the color.... otherwise I would have got another one. I wanted a FI scoot....

Plus they onlyhad the current year ugly blue one..... :sick:

But when I turned around and saw the Voyager I did get the first time, I thought "now THAT is a nice looking scoot".......

Done get me wrong... I do like the Voyager..... but it does not ride like the Venture did. But it is still a good looking scoot.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Never had the Venture and after reading your post I probably should have considered it. I owned a Yamaha 950T with a trunk and when I rode my brother in law's 1700 nomad, well I just about fell in love. That bike felt sooo smoooth compared to my Yami. Now after riding my own Nomad for about a year I can actually say I really wouldn't want anything else. I love my choice but with that said my wife would still love it better with the trunk and back rest behind her. On another note, I think its great to meet someone with 42 years married and still like to spend time with one another. Congratulations man!

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I have always had to get full dressers/tourers even before they started being made. There was not a lot of accessories for a BMW in 1964. But we could get bug bags and the first bat wing fairings from Butler and Smith fiberglass works.... Then later Windjammer stuff. I bought a 650 Silverwing in 83 then another one later in 83. (only year the 650 Interstate I was made) I thought I was on cloud nine as they came with bags, trunk, and fairing with optional stereo. I had the Windjammer stuff on my 78 Goldwing.

I have always puled a trailer and need all the storage space I can drag down the road when on vacation. PLUS I must to take my 60's, 70's and 80's rock and roll with me everywhere I go. Loud and proud.... I don't need loud pipes... I have Steppenwolf..........

I have bought totem poles in Washington and brought them back home on trailers. I can haul as much stuff in/on my trailer as I can a car.... we have days where it takes 10 hours to go 100 miles. We have to stop and look at everything. But we have days we do 1000 miles too.....

·
Registered
481 Posts
I traded a 2009 Venture for a 2011 Voyager. I now have a 2012 Nomad. I love all three bikes. The Venture was quicker, the Voyager and Nomad have more torque and a nice thump. If they would have put fuel injection on the Venture and changed a few other things I would have gotten another. I would have gotten another Voyager but wanted something a little different, thus the Nomad. I come from the old Voyagers with the 1200 inline 4's a 1996 and 1999. Also had 2 Concourses, I really like the quick power of a inline 4. But I'm on my 3d Nomad and like the torque and thump of the V-twin. I like them all and so does my wife. We ride two up 95% of the time and I wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's all mine!

Negotiations are done.....will likely pick up the machine Friday or Saturday (would pick up sooner but tornado's possible the next three days). I say I'm not gonna each time I change bikes but accessories, here I come!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Talk about totally different machines. The concours is smooth as silk and an amazing motorcycle in every way. It is my go to solo touring ride.

I could not get used to the riding position of the Nomad. Yes, I know it is similar to the Voyager, but the handlebar position and the tank mounted gauges just didn't work for me. I was going to put mini apes on it and did put the tach on the handlebars, but my buddy wanted the bike more than I wanted to keep it so now I get to enjoy its' beauty while we ride.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Fantastic, you're going to love it, I sure do mine! I understand what was noted about the tank mounted gauges but I always ride with a GPS and have it mounted between the bar mounts. It's up high and in the center and that's what I use to check my speed. As for the tach, I thought I'd miss it but haven't. Coming from a inline 4 you will probably think you're lugging the motor all the time. In time you will get the hang of the relaxed engine/ exhaust pulse. These bikes are not quick but they are grinders and you will find that frequent gear changing is not necessary. Have a great time!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really grateful for the replies.

I've owned a Honda Magna, two Yamaha Royal Star Ventures (the first was totalled when a tree fell across the road in front of me), a Honda Goldwing, a Honda Shadow Aero, a Yamaha V-Star 1100 Silverado Classic and now the Kawasaki Concours. While the Concours is a FUN bike to ride, I just don't do it justice.

Looking forward to slow and steady again!

I will post pics when I get her home.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It finally happened

Happy to report I now have a 2011 Vulcan 1700 Nomad in my basement. Blue and silver in color. 2,100 miles. Giving it a good once over and glad to say no surprises. Driver's seat has two small burns from the previous owner smoking cigars while riding.

Looking forward to getting back into cruiser mode. Traded my 2012 Kawasaki Concours so still have sport touring legs under me.

Looking forward to spending more time on this site and perhaps getting to know some of you.

Rusty Miller
Blountville, TN

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Glad you got it.......

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've got the same model, same year, same color. Two-up with the wife and I wouldn't know she's there if it weren't for her helmet bumping mine on occasion. It's a nice ride and suites our Saturday/Sunday breakfast or lunch runs. She gets somewhat nervous with the traffic in the Houston suburban area. Much, much different than southeast PA where we came from a few years ago.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Service/shop manual

Looking for some insight from anyone who has purchased a service/shop manual for there Nomad. I'm looking for a manual for my 2011 model year. If you have a "where to buy" let me know.

Thanks,

Rusty Miller
Blountville, TN

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Look on ebay or a digital or hard copy version, or amazon for hard copy. Most of the hard copy manuals "used" run about 50 bucks. Digital copies from ebay about 12 bucks. Then you can look on your PC and if needed only print the page(s) you need. It only cost me about 5 bucks worth of ink and paper to print out the Voyager manual. 770 pages.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts