Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of www.coolsac.com grips for my Voyager and I am unsure how to remove the throttle grip and leave the throttle sleeve in place. The clutch side is easy I can turn the end cap by hand the cut away the grip. Throttle side I am not sure if the end cap comes of. I can open up the switch housing and disconnect the cables and pull both grip and sleeve off, I think. I opened up housing but did not remove cables. Does the end cap come off on throttle side or if I do disconnect the cables will that allow me to remove the grip from sleeve? I don't want to start wrenching on the end cap if it is not screwed on like the clutch side. All the post I have read are from people who bought Kuryrakyn or Avon grips and I can see they come with a new sleeve to attach the cables too. Anyone else run into this problem before or can point me in right direction. Everything is back to stock config. so I have time to figure it out.

Thanks,
Ron

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
I bought a set of www.coolsac.com grips for my Voyager and I am unsure how to remove the throttle grip and leave the throttle sleeve in place. The clutch side is easy I can turn the end cap by hand the cut away the grip. Throttle side I am not sure if the end cap comes of. I can open up the switch housing and disconnect the cables and pull both grip and sleeve off, I think. I opened up housing but did not remove cables. Does the end cap come off on throttle side or if I do disconnect the cables will that allow me to remove the grip from sleeve? I don't want to start wrenching on the end cap if it is not screwed on like the clutch side. All the post I have read are from people who bought Kuryrakyn or Avon grips and I can see they come with a new sleeve to attach the cables too. Anyone else run into this problem before or can point me in right direction. Everything is back to stock config. so I have time to figure it out.

Thanks,
Ron
Ron, I recently changed my grips to the Kuryakyn black Iso grips. The throttle sleeve stays attached to to the grip when you loosen the throttle cables, slip them out of the slots, and remove the grip. You may be able to remove the sleeve, but I didn't try to, since the kuryakyn grips already have a sleeve attached. Maybe someone else will chime in with more info.

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
I believe it will be best to leave the rite hand grip on the bike. All you want to remain is the inner throttle tube and cutting/removing the chrome end cap/rubber grip and chrome inner ring is best done while it's on the bike.

I have never removed the grip material from a stock Vulcan inner throttle tube, I would suggest cutting away the rubber first, after that you may be able to determine better how the chrome end cap is attached.

Just take your time. And let us know!!

RACNRAY

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Voyager grip change.

Thanks Ray,

The more I thought about it that is the same conclusion I have come too. The grip does have some in and out play, so if I remove the rubber portion I should be able to get the metal pieces off. Directions to install grip say to remove ribs from throttle sleave so I'm thinking end cap is got some sort of spline that I could push inboard then twist and slide off. I hope thats how it works anyway.

·
Registered
74 Posts
[/url]

[/IMG]I just did the grips on my 2012 Voyager. After loosening the throttle cable, pull the cable ends out and the whole factory grip slides off. Just slide the Kuryaken on, reattach the cable ends, adjust out the slack and reassemble. There are some really good videos on youtube showing how to do this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just did the grips on my 2012 Voyager. After loosening the throttle cable, pull the cable ends out and the whole factory grip slides off. Just slide the Kuryaken on, reattach the cable ends, adjust out the slack and reassemble. There are some really good videos on youtube showing how to do this.
I installed www.coolsac.com custom braided grips so install is different from the Kuryrakyn grips.

I cut off the rubber portion from the throttle sleeve and after a little prying I was able to twist off the end cap just like the clutch side. Does have reverse threads on it. The inner ring had an O-ring so I had to pry it outboard a bit then I cut it in two with a pair of dykes. Directions say to remove the ribs from the throttle sleeve which my dremmel with a sanding drum made short work of. After I cleaned up the mess from the dremmel tool I tried to dry fit the grip on, no glue needed that sucker is on tight.

Clutch side was more straight forward just twisted off end cap then cut the rubber portion. The inboard ring was thick and the factory glue was very strong. I pried it away from housing a bit the tapped of with a brass punch and small hammer. After removing glue and cleaning up bar I dry fitted the grip and again no glue needed. After wear and weather I may need to remove and add glue but right now they are holding very tight.

Lessons learned:
1. Put some tape on switch housings if you pry the inner rings outboard. I did on the clutch side after some light marring on the throttle side. A little paint will fix it.

2. If you use a dremmel tool to remove the rips, cover bike well and wear goggles. Very messy and even with safety glasses on I got plastic in my eyes. Might be easier to remove sleeve the work on table.

All in all not to hard, I took a short trip and my hands did not go numb. I think they look great, very comfortable and I also added the lever covers from coolsac as well. Coolsac makes their grips a bit longer for the Voyagers so the problem with the weight for other grips was not an issue.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts