Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a bike a few months ago , after having it for 2 m onths the lifters started mkaing anoise ike valve tapping.
i took it motocycle shop and they found2 bad lifters and replaced all 4 on that head.
for 24 hrs it sounded great
now the tapping i sback in ths same spot how is this possible 4 brand new lifters
pls help

·
Registered
64 Posts
Does it make it at all speeds or just at idle? Mine makes a knocking/tapping sound a low idle but goes away at any speed

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mine knocks/taps until it warms up good. As soon as the oil gets up there good it pretty much goes away. I can still hear it if I lean forward over the tank but just barely.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just moved up from a 1500fi. The voyager has lots more noise and vibrations than the1500 ever did

·
Registered
98 Posts
My 2012 Nomad taps some when first cranked or when the oil needs changing, other than that it is just the normal loud 1700 engine noises. All my Kawis have done that at one point or another. I had a Honda shadow that ticked and had all the lifters replaced and like you, it sounded great for a short time then it came back. I lived with an intermittent tick for another 40,000 miles no problem.

·
Registered
116 Posts
tappin' tappets

Mine did that for maybe the first 20,000 kms. now over 40,000 kms I don't hear them (selective hearing?)

like others said, on a cold start, or after oil change only.

2007 ZX-14 racket at start is way worse...

·
Registered
201 Posts
i got a bike a few months ago , after having it for 2 m onths the lifters started mkaing anoise ike valve tapping.
i took it motocycle shop and they found2 bad lifters and replaced all 4 on that head.
for 24 hrs it sounded great
now the tapping i sback in ths same spot how is this possible 4 brand new lifters
pls help
Hydraulic Lash Adjusters (used on our Kawasaki 'overhead cam' engines) handle the adjustment of your valves (valve-lash), hydraulically. They do the same job, but a little differently than Hydraulic Valve Lifters (used with engines with push rods). They look differently, than valve lifters, but both use the engine's oil to allow some 'lash' in the valve adjustment. It is an automatic system - you never have to adjust your valves.
Engines that use manually adjusted valves don't automatically adjust the valves, they must be periodically adjusted by a mechanic ( either by use of shims or adjusting screws).

Hydraulic Lash Adjusters (H.L.A.s), will drain out, when the bike sits for awhile. They will tap when first started, but should disappear after you ride a good distance.

If your Kawasaki just has a small, temporary tick, when first started, after sitting for several days, it is not uncommon. This generally is not as big a deal as the old, "Noisy Valve Lifters" complaint on car engines.

As far as your mechanic replacing them before, I don't know - maybe he did find a bad one and decided to replace them so you would rule out bad parts. Anything mechanical can fail, but in future, see if the tick goes away by running it. Mine will tick, if it sits for a few days, too. Good luck!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thought this was interesting. I checked the oil in my 2009 voyager. It was at the bottom quarter of the hash marks. I filled it to the top of the hash marks. It was noticeably quieter I thought. Just fyi

1 - 11 of 11 Posts