Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys! Remember my paint job I did last year? It was way too purple...

Well the new paint job is done. And wow I love it.!.

here is a link to my last years paint job to bring you to speed:

last years paint job

Sorry I didn't bore you guys with every step of the way paint process. It was long and kinda hard. But the finished product will look awesome. At least for me.

The paint is Kawasaki Green, last years Purple, a midnight dark blue, some Violet Pigment, and of all things....A pair of Fishnet womans stockings...lol...what have I done?

Well....see for yourself.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Next time you will see these body parts will be on the bike. But after I wet sand and buff them all next week end. I need to let it all cure now.

Thanks for looking!

Todd.

·
Registered
273 Posts
that looks sick i like the pantyhose concept gives it a unique look to it im kinda jealouse it definetly has my approval (not that you needed it lol).

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Absolutely gorgeous. Make sure you update this with a picture of your bike when it's put back together.
Really nice job, Toddster. I remember last year's post. Your brother help you with this one, or were you on your own?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
AMAZING! Makes me wish I live in Oshkosh so I could get ya to show me how you do that... Just so happens I have a tank, couple of side panels, and some fenders available for the "training". LOL

Can't wait to see it all put together!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Really sweet paint job. I trust you'll post a couple of pics adter it's all back together.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks guys!

The paint was done all by me, except for my wifes little touch just above the gas cap area. She signed our enitials.

My brother only provided the shop and awesome spray guns.

The idea or vision came from my wife. She had seen an American Chopper episode last year that featured a 'Dreams' episode where a person paid American Chopper to paint there bike to look like Snake Skin. I had never seen this episode so the design had to be free styled all the way.

On the episode they used Fishnet stockings and completely different paint colors than mine.

So you could say I used an idea from my wife who really enjoyed the finished product from that show. I thought...hey why not!
I gave it a try and it's now our reality.

If it's warm enough this Wednesday night I'll start the wet sanding and should have completion photos Friday maybe. But Sunday night for sure if anything else.

Thanks again guys.

Todd.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Quick How To:

First you spray a base down. I used Kawasaki green and some of last years Purple.

Then after that you give it two coats of clear.

Then allow it to dry, but not longer than 24 hours. If the clear hardens to much the paint may have problems bonding to it.

At this point you take Fishnet stockings; first cut them in half so you have two separate legs.
Then once you have cut the two legs apart, you then take each leg and cut it down the middle, so now you have a flat panel.

I found it helpful to leave most of the toe area in the stockings to help grab the edge of whatever body panel I stretched the netting over.

Yarn worked really well to hold the netting on the fenders. I tied it all off under the body panels being painted.

After the fishnet is all set into place I started to spray the next two base coats over the netting.

Covered all the surface area on all the parts with midnight blue.
Than followed up after 15 minutes of dry time with Kawasaki Green.

After you have the second two colors sprayed on you give the paint just ten minutes of dry time then enjoy pulling off the netting.
Wait too long and the netting and paint begin to bond! Some bonding is ok because that is part of the unique design. Just be careful not to pull it off too fast so you don't pull up paint with it.

I then took a coat hanger and snipped one end so I could weave and stretch netting through the hanger making a tennis racket kinda looking tool.

I used that for spot touch up on and around the gas tank.

My first intension for the gas tank was to be completely covered as the other panels were. The netting was fighting me so I ended up making a 'Tank bib' look, by just pulling from the bottom of the tank to up around the cluster posts.

The weird Kawi green criss cross design was all pretty much made up as I went. I had no real design pattern in mind. Just whatever happened.... happened.

Last thing was to spray 2 more coats of clear. Adding a little bit of violet pigment to the final coat.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Nice job there. That would make any Vulcan owner proud.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
AMAZING! Makes me wish I live in Oshkosh so I could get ya to show me how you do that... Just so happens I have a tank, couple of side panels, and some fenders available for the "training". LOL

Can't wait to see it all put together!
My wife said I should offer to paint your extra parts for you. LOL

I would if you wanted me to.....

·
Registered
172 Posts
Cool like that Mon! BOTM Material!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
My wife said I should offer to paint your extra parts for you. LOL

I would if you wanted me to.....
:eek: Careful, Toddster... depending on your pricing you may have just opened a can of worms here!! Your workmanship has all of us drooling! :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts