Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a new left over 2010 900 custom. I am thinking about buying it but am having some second thoughts on it. Reason is I keep reading about stator failures. I guess my question is, are the stator problems more common with certain years or is it just something you will have to deal with some day?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think you can't worry about parts? If you like the bike and its a good deal do it? There will always be parts your gonna need to buy?
I have had my 07 and the only issue I had was when it was new the radiator hose wasn't not tight and it leaked coolant? Other than that its been a great bike!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
133 Posts
If your not over stressing the electrical system with light bars and high draw accessories you should not have an issue with the stator. Besides its an easy fix! It's a great bike if you like the style and are happy with its size buy it up!

M

·
BOTM Winner, May 2013
207 Posts
If the price on it is too good to pass up and a Vulcan is what you want, get it. No matter if it is a bike, boat, RV, ATV, car, truck, or any other mechanical thing, it is going to need maintenance and repairs sooner or later. I bought my 2010 900 Classic new in April of 2011. It was the last leftover the dealer had and I got it $1000 cheaper than an '11 model. I only have 7k miles on it so far. It would have been a couple thousand more if it hadn't been for the deer that decided to be a hood ornament on my first ride out last year. The point is, that was a totally unexpected 2 month, and $2000 repair. My wife and I still got out and rode her Honda Shadow ACE, but I missed my 9 real bad. It's still not right. The shop screwed the paint up royally, but that's for another thread. You'll need new tires (I need a set now), brakes, and all sorts of stuff sooner or later, not including all of the cool stuff you'll want to add to your bike, so go get it and join us on the road! Ride safe!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Go for it! I got my 2012 Custom last year and love it!

Of course, the mods have started already...nothing to do with the stator...but have done this so far:

230/60-15 Avon rear tire
90/90-21 Avon front tire
Low & Mean LED rear taillight / signal light strip
Barons lowering suspension with 2" drop
Barons rear pulley
Stage II de-baffle
Slight air filter / airbox re-work

The bike is great right from the factory...even better once you put your own personal touches on it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My wife recently got a steal of a deal on a 2011 Classic LT with 1900 miles. She loves it. I have a HD touring bike but I really enjoy riding hers around town and I'm a big guy. Runs great. I had a Vulcan Nomad 1600 and wish I had it back.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I personally have a 2010 Custom SE, that I've had driving lights on, and now have a full fairing including sound system. I have 14K miles on it and no electrical issues (Stator or other wise) except on battery replacement before I put a tender on it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The electrical system puts out what it puts out, overloading it doesn't have anything to do with the stator failing.

If you're handy with the tools, the potential stator failure shouldn't be too big of a deal. On the other hand, if you're not handy with the tools it's a pretty expensive job, so the potential is something to consider. The warranty is 1 year and I suspect most stator failures occur after that time.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
The electrical system puts out what it puts out, overloading it doesn't have anything to do with the stator failing.

If you're handy with the tools, the potential stator failure shouldn't be too big of a deal. On the other hand, if you're not handy with the tools it's a pretty expensive job, so the potential is something to consider. The warranty is 1 year and I suspect most stator failures occur after that time.
+1

A stator is ALWAYS at 'full power'. Overloading it CAN damage it, but you'll have other symptoms first, such as dim headlights and a dead battery because of it's inability to handle the load.

What DOES cause them to fail (usually), is wear on the insulation around the coils causing an arc.

Seems like the 06 and 07 models are the vast, vast majority of the issues. Though other years have it too. Some guys go 50k+ without an issue, others 10k and it's gone.

If you do it yourself (and it's not hard) it's under $200 and the aftermarket replacement has been reported in some bikes at up over 50k miles and still going strong. Rick's stators are much better than OEM. Mine failed at 15k, and though it was inconvenient, it didn't at all make me wish I hadn't bought the bike. Given it's rock solid reliability elsewhere, good fuel economy, and the price I paid for the bike ANYWAY in comparison to another bike of the same ability through another manufacturer? A $200 repair really isn't that bad.

Other bikes in this class I always read about cam chain tensioners, rounded cam lobes, blow-by problems, etc. All in the same year/mile range. I'd MUCH rather replace a stator than split an engine case.

Just my $0.02. But the bottom line is, and I think most 900 owners would agree- at the end of the day the stator problem is not a deterrent. Even with that achilles heel the bike is still an excellent value.

I don't know how married you are to the idea of a 2010+ but I can tell you that you can find a low mileage Vulcan 900 for $5k all day long, there's lots of them out there if you're looking used. I got that advice from folks on the forum, and sure enough, I got one for $5000 on the nose, an LT with 8,000 miles on it. She's got close to 30k on her now. I still see them all the time, under 20k miles and around $5k!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice everyone. I will be heading over to the dealer later today to talk price. I think I will trade in my Sportster on it, long story and it was a impulse buy.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Thanks for the advice everyone. I will be heading over to the dealer later today to talk price. I think I will trade in my Sportster on it, long story and it was a impulse buy.
Love to hear the story sometime of you buying a 900 and trading in an HD :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
stator

I have found a new left over 2010 900 custom. I am thinking about buying it but am having some second thoughts on it. Reason is I keep reading about stator failures. I guess my question is, are the stator problems more common with certain years or is it just something you will have to deal with some day?[/Quote All bikes will have stator problems sooner or later depends how long you keep your bike and miles you put on them . I checked out a friends HD and had less miles then my 900 and his stator was fried just remember theirs a lot of 900s out there and this is a popular forum and a lot of people use it .

·
Registered
365 Posts
I just went the other way and got a Sportster to replace my Vulcan 900. The 900 is the better day to day bike, but still far inferior (for my purposes) to my Versys. I still wanted a cruiser for ripping around town, and the Sportster does that much better than the Vulcan.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts