Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rundown- 2005 v2k 12.5k miles, stock intake/exahust.

Bike sat for about a year and a half. It ran just fine last thursday.

Just put a new battery in, fully charged. I can get it to run, but I have to hold the throttle partially open. The front exhaust pipe gets hot, but the rear stays cold.

Any ideas on what this could be? Its getting fuel, when it runs I can smell the unburnt fuel strong.

REALLY not going to be happy if this is something serious.

Help anyone!!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well after fighting getting that damn rear plug out, i discoverd it was nice and black. pretty bad too.

If its a clogged injector how much of a bitch is that going to be?

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Here is what you can try:
1. Replace the plug with a new one.
2. Get one of those spark testers (under $10 from auto supply store)
3. Connect to rear cylinder, start and check for spark.

I would leave injectors alone for now.

Post back with your results.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
definatly has spark to the rear cylinder. pulled the plug and cranked it while holding the plug about .5 inch from a ground. nice fat blue spark. guessing it just needed new plugs and run it out of the old gas.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
pulled the plug and cranked it while holding the plug about .5 inch from a ground. .
I recommend a spark tester because using the old "jump spark" method works OK 9 out of 10 times, but that tenth time... run the risk of damaging the ignition side of your ECU. Now, that would ruin your day!!

I would recommend you run for a few days and then recheck plugs for carbon fouling.

Post back with your results.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Take your tank off and dump out your old gas, put in some premium and some injector cleaner. If your going to park your bike for a while put some fuel conditioner in and fill it to the top. Don't ever run an injected bike(or anything) out of fuel, you'll kill the injectors.

We just replaced 8 injectors on a Ford 6.0L diesel because someone ran it out of fuel - AT $425 an injector.

Take Care,
Clay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts