Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am 36 years old 6'-1" 230LB wife 195. I have alway wanted a bike since I got rid of my 175 enduro in high school. Now I finally have the money to do so. I live in a rural part of Michigan and only have access to one dealership. They have a 2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT in the two tone blue. But my heart was on the two tone red! I can get (dealer trade) a 2010 Vulcan 1700 Classic LT in the color I want! I do not like any of the new colors for the 900 or I would consider a 2011 model. I like the 1700's wheels instead of the spoked wheels on the 900. I live on a dirt road and am thinking of having to clean all those spokes......... I will primarally ride "short" rides around my localy area with a few longer trips...4-8 hours round trip or even an overnighter or two with my wife. I have 4 kids under 10 so long trips are out for now. I have reservations about the 1700's MPG vs the 900's. I have thought about the 900 and switching out the rims for the aluminum tubless rims to avoid the "spoke nightmare" any thoughts on that? I just don't know what to do......very torn on the color and the cost differance (4K) and if I really need that much bike. I have read a lot of threads trying to get info but I felt like I still needed to ask the question to the rest of you. Thanks for all the Help.

In either case I plan to put on a sissy bar, a mustang seat, floor boards, and luggage rack.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I love my 900 I ride primarily solo and weigh about 160. (fully clothed, soaking wet, after a meal, before bathroom break) It's got plenty of power for my skinny ass. I think the "recommended" load max is about 400lbs. If you plan on any 2-up riding, go with the 1700. You will appreciate the torque.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you aren't intimated by starting on the 1700 I'd go that route. I purchased a 900 custom 2 years ago and love it. I was hoping to move up to a 1700 this year. Unfortunately a divorce is going to change my plans. Good luck on your choice and take a riding course if you haven't already.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you aren't intimated by starting on the 1700 I'd go that route. I purchased a 900 custom 2 years ago and love it. I was hoping to move up to a 1700 this year. Unfortunately a divorce is going to change my plans. Good luck on your choice and take a riding course if you haven't already.
Thanks,
900 or 1700 will be a bit stressfull for the first time but not out of my comfort zone. I have ridden friends bikes of like sizes in the last couple of years. I am taking a class this spring just prior to taking full ownership of whichever bike I end up with! With the economy and fuel prices the 900 looks a lot nicer on the pocket book long term. I have an appointment to drive 2.5 hours to the next closest dealer to sit on the 1700 this Saturday. I hope this will help make up my mind.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Based on what you've written you're not an experienced rider, and "with 4 kids under 10" you should keep that in mind. A 1700 is way outside your experience zone.

Here's my advice, for whatever it's worth: First, take the MSF course. Second, start out with a "smaller" bike, the 900 would be the biggest I'd recommend. Third, plan on riding solo until your kids are older, much older. JM2C.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Experienced...........no i have not owned my own bike for over 17 years..........I do however ride my brothers honda shadow 750 several times a year. Including 2up. Due to the very limited chances in being able to ride I never got the motorcycle endorsment for my DL. I also am not is a "city" area and getting accustomed to the size bike would be in a very rider friendly area and obviously I would not ride 2up until I felt at one with the bike! I am leaning heavily to the 900 though as the MAIN type of riding I will be doing I think it would perform more than adequatley! I am however not one to waste money in buying something (NEW) that I will want to get rid of in 1-2 years for something just a bit better........

I have been seeing many "issues" on the blogs about the 1700 and its MPG rating is not quite what I would like to see. This weekend I am looking at a 900 and 1700 side by side at a distant dealer. I think that will give me the final "amo" to make the choice.......More than likely the 2010 900 classic lt in red/black two tone.

Thanks for the reply!!!!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Do you plan to do any long distance riding or high speed riding on the freeways, especially loaded down with windshield, lowers, crash bar chaps, 2up with max luggage? If so, my advice would be to get the 1700.

I really like my 900 LT, but I misjudged its power and what I'd do with it. I now wish I'd gotten the 1700 or a V2k. I do a lot more freeway riding than I'd anticipated and I like to run with the big dogs, meaning no less than the speed limit and usually a little beyond. If I hadn't loaded down the bike with all the above goodies, it would be fine. But, I did and went just a little beyond the bike's power curve.

If/when I do get a bigger bike, I'd like to keep the 900 and strip off all of that pony eating stuff off of it. I think it would be fine then. Until then, I'll leave it as is, because it's more than good enough for most of my needs. :)

·
Registered
434 Posts
I know riding 2 up on my 900lt, I'm at 200lbs and my wife is 125lbs. I really do not see any big problems with performance. Motorcyle Cruiser magazine and on their website did a 1700 shootout with Yamaha and Triumph if you want to read about it. I like the Nomad better than the 1700, it comes with the Voyager seat, I found it very comfortable to sit on, but remember these 1700's are heavy. In my limited experience I thought my wife would be with me more but usually I'm solo. So if you think this might be your case I would find the bike you like and would make that your decision.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I bought a 09 1700 classic lt new in march 2010.Love it .I weigh 218 lbs.It has tremendous power if needed but may never use .I think you might be happier with a 1700 classic.Just my opinion

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought a 09 1700 classic lt new in march 2010.Love it .I weigh 218 lbs.It has tremendous power if needed but may never use .I think you might be happier with a 1700 classic.Just my opinion
You don't find it to big for city driving? Parking lots ect? How is your MPG? I can not wait to sit on one this afternoon!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I find it not to big.Very nimble also.I got rid of a 1999 goldwing.I feel mor comfortable on the kaw.It is definitely different from the 1500 .Had to get used to the 6 speed trans.Not keeping track of mpg since I already drive a f250 crew cab with 12 mpg so any thing is better mpg. I am planning a trip this june just don't know where yet but with the bike.
am planning to buy crash bars,wind deflectors and a luggage rack.Going to the bike show tommorrow about 11:00 in morn

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well .........visited both dealers and.............Vulcan 1700 Classic LT wins!!!!
Wow, what a nice looking bike. The last dealer had both bikes, 900 & 1700, size by side. The only hesitation is the price9 difference, but I am looking long term and I think in a couple of years I would want to upgrade if I went with the 900. I told my wife that I would regret getting the 900, and I would question spending 4K more for the 1700. I would rather question than regret. I am on my mobile right now but I will post some picks when I get home tonight or on Sunday. Monday will make the call to my dealer to get the paperwork started. I can not wait for the snow to melt!!!
I plan on going to the bike show in Birchrun on Jan.22 ,23. Where is the one you were going to?

·
Registered
123 Posts
To: BAHatchet

My friend, I have been riding bikes for 30 yrs including 5 yrs on police kaw, For what you have said, the 900 is the way to go. In town it's a lot better then 1700. I have a 1700 and my milage sucks in town, on the road, 35 to 40 (coarse I drive like a wild eye'd ape) but I recommend you get the 900. Second. Don't be fooled about one dealership. There is one in Wisconsin that has your color and size and shipping (like to Houston) was only 569.00. Don't remember the name but great deals, (phone sales person not too cool) anyone good luck on that, Let me know [email protected]. Bill K

·
Registered
382 Posts
2-up I think the 900 might strain a bit with bigger riders. I hit the scales at ~140 (before helmet and jacket and boots), wife is about 120. 900 is good for us riding double, although I haven't done it with loaded bags.

If you are to do much highway riding, I'd look closely at the gearing of the 900. You may want to add the cost of pulleys into the equation.

I'd say run with the 1700... its your color, and it's got enough torque to move all six-feet-one-inch tall of you around with a passenger. Being that economy is a consideration, I'd keep an eye out for a slightly smaller displacement motorcycle.

If you want the red bike with better fuel economy than a 1700, but more torque than the 900, I'd continue shopping around.

ebay find I think you'll like

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
IMG_6147.jpg

IMG_6152.jpg

IMG_6154.jpg

I hope I did this right! I have never put pics into a blog before.
I thank everyone for there input! Once I sat on the 1700 LT I knew at once that it was the right bike. It is no mistake a heavier bike than the 900 but it has a very fluid feel to it and although I can not test ride it as it is 18 degrees out and snow and the dealers aroud here won't let you, it really does feel like it will fit right in, in my rural town of Bad Axe, MI

The styling of the bike is great. It really is a big differance between the 900 and 1700 on just the feel and look from the drivers seat. The 1700 is just so much more defined!:)

I plan on putting the Mustang Seat, crash bar, floor boards, luggage rack, side wind deflectors on right away! (part of the deal I worked out with my dealer....) I am not a fan of really LOUD bikes (actually I HATE them when they go by me on the freeway and blow my eardrums out) but I do like to have a really nice deep rumble. The 1700 was not preped for starting so i could not listen to it. Does anyone have suggestions on new pipes (if needed) and recommendations on fuel commanders or any other perfomance improvments?

If my pics do not show up I will try to upload them again.

Come on Spring.........................I can't wait.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Congrats on the new bike! It's sweet looking for sure.

There is another Vulcan rider in Bad Axe that is on this forum and I'm from the east side of Detroit. We've tentative plans to do a thumb ride when the weather turns into riding season again. You might want to think about joining us. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts