Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clunks from neutral to first or drags the bike ahead slightly if started in first. Seems the clutch is not completely dis-engaging. yes it has the other famous clunks shifting up to 2 and 3 (can be less clunk with gear change at select RPM). Dealers and mechanics are not familiar with the neutral to first clunk (hammer). Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Friend of mine had similar problem with his 09 nomad.

Problem area was at the little cylinder at the bottom that pushes the clutch hydraulically.

Was a little corroded and needed to be cleaned up and re-lubricated.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It used to be said with HD, 'if it don't clunk it's junk'...

Bikes with a wet multi plate clutch will jump or clunk a little with first gear engagement, the individual plates tend to stick together due to the viscosity of the oil and it is usually more pronounced when the oil is cold. I always warm up my bikes and while doing so I pull in the clutch lever multiple times, when I move to first gear it's 'click', never clunk...

I do quite a bit of track riding and can rev-match while upshifting and downshifting, no clutch. I've tried that technique on my Vaquero and the transmission is silent when rev-match shifting without the clutch, in my opinion the clutch doesn't completely disengage so finding the sweet spot for each gear is a must...

·
Registered
900 Posts
Method I use for 1st gear to avoid clunk.

While in neutral. I pull in the clutch lever.
I put toe under the shifter with a light upward pressure as if going into second. I do not put it into second I just put a bit of presure on. I hold it for about 1/4-1/2 second and then do repeat. My 1st gear engagment is then smooth without hardly a click.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your response folks. Going to open it up this weekend (with the help of a Kawi tool pusher) and see wutzup. I'll let you know what we find.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update. Didn't go there last weekend as I had visions of the bike tore down and waiting for parts while I twiddle my thumbs on my holidays which start this weekend. Hopefully it will stay together for this as the problem ain't big enough yet to justify a long wait for a fix. Again my thanks for your input. I have tried the various suggestions but nothing is yet changed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts