Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I completed the MSF basic course last weekend and I'm looking for my first bike. There is a 2009 Vulcan 900 Custom Special Edition with 1400 miles for sale a couple cities over from where I live. It's a private seller and they are asking $4900. I've attached a few pictures of it below. Do you all think this is a fair price if it's in good to excellent condition? Is the 900 a good first bike? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
Probably not a bad price at all. Looks in good shape with limited mods. You will love the 900.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Very good price. Dealer blowout on a '09 would be around $5700, maybe a hair more for the LE...this one has crash bars for a couple hundred more -- call it at least $6K. So $4900's very fair. If you can get him down a couple hundred, even better. If you're after a Vulcan and like the all-black look of the LE, this one's a great catch.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Get as much story on the bike as you can. Sounds too good to be true for the price. It is not old. I bought my new `09 Classic LT in April `10 and coming up on 3000 miles now. I would in no way sell mine for that low of a price.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. That is dirt cheap. Bought mine with 3000 miles with bags for $5750.

·
Registered
130 Posts
And to answe ryou rquestion: YES! The 900 is a great first bike. It was my first motorcycle ever and I don't see why people said it was too big to start with. I love it and have no problems controlling it.

·
Registered
711 Posts
In my opinion yes the 900 is a great bike but depending on your size it may not be a great starter if you're a small person. The 900 is a heavy machine and it packs enough power to get you anywere u want to go. By reading reviews here and in other forums you will come to find out that more than a few have dropped, crashed and some even injured them selves on this bikes. The 900 in my opinion has the best of both worlds, again depending on your size is powerfull enough and agile enough to manuver around.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That's a great price. My 2009 SE was on sale new for $6,000. Buy it but be sure to check to see if the 3 grease zerks near the swing arm are still intact. Mine were not but I fixed them myself thanks to the great folks on this forum.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sweet

First off Congrats on the safety course, I took mine this year as well.

On the bike, I think it's a great price and love the special editions. Sometimes deals are to got to believe, I bought my 08 vulcan classic with 1800 miles on it from a guy that had received a DUI and couldn't afford insurance and needed the money bad so I got at a steal for $3300 and it's an awesome bike.

I would jump on that special edition, sweet looking bike at a good price.

Ride safe bro.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I completed the MSF basic course last weekend and I'm looking for my first bike. There is a 2009 Vulcan 900 Custom Special Edition with 1400 miles for sale a couple cities over from where I live. It's a private seller and they are asking $4900. I've attached a few pictures of it below. Do you all think this is a fair price if it's in good to excellent condition? Is the 900 a good first bike? Thanks.
Yes thats a good price for that bike,half of what i paid for mine new!

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
Welcome Aboard!

I'm pleased to see that you took the MSF course before you bought your first bike. You're smarter than I was with my first scoot!!:D
It the bike you're looking at is in near showroom condition, and it's not been sullied by its previous oowner, it's a good deal. As for whether or not it will be a good deal for YOU, you'll have to ride the bike some to figure that out for yourself.
I think the 900 is an acceptable "first bike." It's a little heavy, but the handling is fairly forgiving, and you won't be looking to "club up" to a more powerful bike in a year. It's not a stupidly powerful bike, so you'll probably be OK on that score. Heck...a moped will kill you if you ride it foolishly...:cool:

GOOD LUCK!
Let us know how it comes out!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
That's a great price! I bought my 09 brand new in March for $6500 out the door. I have 775 miles and NADA is showing that my bike is worth approximately $6,000. As someone mentioned before, if you can get the owner to go a little less, that's an even better price. You will love the 900 SE. Infact, I am about to go ride here after lunch. Good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dude that a great price, if it's legit (you should maybe run the VIN by State Police to be sure) and not a rebuild title (negotiable point if you really want the bike) buy it. My first bike is an 09 900 Custom, I'm 46 205lbs and 5'10". I have no problem reaching the ground or muscling the bike around, my only issue is that I reach too far to grab the bars so I'm in a bent over position. Riser Bars will take care of that next year. This won't be my only bike, I'm already feeling like I need to move up in size (been on the 900 a year and a half). Just stay within your comfort zone and learn everything you can, that what I did and I have no regrets. Good luck and keep the rubber side down.

·
Registered
441 Posts
There was a guy on here from around Philadelphia PA that had one of those for around that price. It is a good deal. I would have suggested that to my buddy but the guy had already gutted the exhaust. If your state is even thinking about regulating loud exhaust and this one has been gutted I would pass on it OR seriously negotiate with them. Tell them to take $500 off, hey it is heading towards winter time.

·
Registered
240 Posts
That is a good price for a great starter bike, but I myself could never bring myself to like the colord rocker covers and the so on's and so on's about the LE.

But being a 900, makes it a great bike!

·
Registered
441 Posts
That's a great price! I bought my 09 brand new in March for $6500 out the door. I have 775 miles and NADA is showing that my bike is worth approximately $6,000. As someone mentioned before, if you can get the owner to go a little less, that's an even better price. You will love the 900 SE. In fact, I am about to go ride here after lunch. Good luck!
$6180 is what NADA calls your bike and what sucks is they don't give you the bump for the SE option.

I am surprised that my 08 LT still is at $6900

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
The 900 is a great bike. Not just a great starter, one that can fill your needs for the life of the bike! I bought mine (classic) new last summer and every once in a while I get that "grass is always greener" syndrome....then I ask myself what can that bike do that my 900 can't. I can't think of a reason. I don't need a bigger bike, mine hangs with the big boys. I thought for about a day that maybe the 900 was too big for me to start with, but that didn't last after the first ride. Sounds like a really good price. Here's an idea, test drive it, then tell him the speedometer is off, and he needs to knock the price down a little for that (ha ha, they're all off!) Good luck and enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I love my SE. The 900 is a great bike...That does seem like a low price. Does it have a clean title? If you can get that bike for that price (or less) you got a great bike at a great price. Be safe!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts