Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has the gas gauge been fixed so that it is true on the 09s and later. Seems like I read that on here a while back. And is the speedo still off like on the older ones? Thanks

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have a 2009 and the gas gauge is still way off.When filled it will only read 3/4 full.Betting my speedometer is optimistic (as most bikes are) but I have not actually verified this.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I've got an 09 and the gas gauge is correct on mine. The only time it is correct is when it's at full.
Does your gas gauge go all the way to the full mark?Mine will not and within 30 miles or so is back down to the half mark.Goes to the empty mark way too quickly.Tried the 270 ohm resister mod and it did not seem to make my needle read any higher so I have removed it.May just bend the float like I did on my previous 2007 900 Custom.That solved the issue once and for all.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Nakoa,

I have a 2012 Custom.

Gauge reads full when I fill to the bottom of the "basket" in the filler neck. At around 50km travelled, it starts to move off "F". It hits "E" at around 200~225km travelled. If I "fill" it back up at this point, I can squeeze in maybe 10~12 litres. That means - as the tank has an overall capacity of 20 litres - that when the gauge hits "E" I have around 8 ~ 10 litres remaining, or around 1/2 full still (or a bit less). Then, when the "fuel low" warning light come on, I can squeeze about 16~17 litres in - so I had around 3 ~ 4 litres remaining in the tank when the warning light goes on.

So for me, the gauge tells me the condition of the top 1/2 of the tank (more or less), then, the light tells me I have 3 ~ 4 litres left.

Its all about the KM travelled for me in any event. The gauge just gives me some visual clue about what is going on in the tank.

This is the first bike I've had with any sort of gauge, so it really doesn't matter to me anyway.

I do appreciate the warning light telling me to get my butt to a gas station soon.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Does your gas gauge go all the way to the full mark?Mine will not and within 30 miles or so is back down to the half mark.Goes to the empty mark way too quickly.Tried the 260 ohm resister mod and it did not seem to make my needle read any higher so I have removed it.May just bend the float like I did on my previous 2007 900 Custom.That solved the issue once and for all.
I meant to say my gas gauge is NOT correct. It does go to full but it goes down very quickly, almost the same within 30 miles or so.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I put the resistor back in today and do believe I have seen some results.The gauge still read a bit above empty when the low fuel light came on (before gauge would have been below empty before light came on) and after filling the tank the needle was pretty close to the full mark.Probably as good as it will get.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts