Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the inevitable happened and at 16000 miles my bike left me with a bad stator. I wish that's all it was. So I called my mechanic and he gave me a battery to use to get it started and drive to his shop. When he took it apart he found some of the magnets had come loose and the stator was bad as well. I know I read in the forums that magnet issues are almost non existent. Has anyone had issues with magnets? I had him replace the rectifier/regulator as well since that may have gotten damaged in the process. No point in taking chances. So now with regular maintenance/oil changes I should be good to go for a while. New Stator, Rotor/Magnets, Rectifier/Regulator, and Battery. Thanks for any advice or input on this issue.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The alternator magnets are situated in the alternator rotor which rotates on the crankshaft, while the stator is stationary. From your post, it seems that the mechanic said that the alternator magnets had come loose, which is difficult to understand since the rotor would need to basically be destroyed for that to occur. It would take some sort of relatively catastrophic circumstance to result in that destruction. Ordinarily when the stator fails only the stator is involved and it remains intact. Generally the stator would need to disintegrate while the engine is running for alternator rotor magnets to become detached. Is that what actually took place? The repairs which were reported on your bike must have been pricey! Hopefully all is well now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He showed me the old rotor and the burned up stator. 2 of the magnets had come unglued from the rotor. Kind of funny I thought the noise I heard coming from the engine was the valves, and now it's much quieter. I had the valves adjusted at 15,000 miles and all was in tolerance. I read online that it is just something you have to put up with as long as their adjusted properly every 15,000 miles. Just seemed excessive to me. I guess it was the stator/rotor I was hearing. Glad to have it back. Yes it was pricey, but now I feel I can trust the bike to go on long road trips. Looking at getting a fairing for it sometime too. I could have had one for the cost of the stator repair :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts