Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I have a "new to me" 2008 Vulcan 900 Classic LT that I purchased a few months ago from a dealership. I have put on about 1,000 miles without any issues. Yesterday I started a check on the fluids and overall inspection after putting on the miles.

The air filter was very dirty, the oil was over-filled and the coolant is a bit above the full mark (all on a leveled surface, not the kickstand).

I currently have no problems with the bike but I noticed a strange sound when running at idle that I had not heard before. It could have been doing it the whole time and I never noticed, but while warming it up to drain and change the oil I noticed a whir and click sound (video attached - roughly at 5 seconds and 15 seconds on the video).

Any thoughts on what this might be? It appears to be happening at regular intervals.

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
2019 VN900 Custom
113 Posts
Hello avd,

Welcome to the forum!

I don’t see a video attachment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Sledar. Thank you for your reply. Sorry for the delay in responding. I thought I had uploaded it, but apparently not. It appears I am not allowed to upload a video or audio file. I am including a link to the audio file. The video version was just a shot of the outside of the cylinder where the sound appears to be coming from. Thanks.

Whir-click engine sound

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Sledar. No, his "ticking" sound is not the same as mine and mine happens without increasing the throttle. It sounds like a relay or ignition coil starting and stopping. I never noticed it before and as he said this could be a normal thing that you don't even notice unless your ear is next to the engine. I haven't heard in before while riding and I only heard it now because I was next to it while warming up the old oil before the oil change and before I did anything else.

I am curious as to the source of the sound.

Thanks. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts