Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2008 Vulcan 900 Classic with 850 miles on it. That's right, 850. And I am the third owner!!

Unusual story about this bike. Apparently the original owner had it shipped from the dealer to his home and he never rode it even once. It sat there(in a good environment I am told) for about 5 years till early this year when the second owner bought it from him. He did the following to the bike - replaced the fuel pump, fuel injector and fuel lines and had the tank re-lined (red kote, it looks to me). Also new sparks, battery and fluids etc. He put 850 or so miles on this since March this year and I bought it from him this weekend.

The question I have is what else should I be checking for deterioration because it remained in storage for so long?

The tires are the original ones, but they look good to me with no visible issues. The bike itself looks in great condition externally and like new. No sign of rot or rust and all the chrome is shiny and gleaming. I rode it about 40 miles on the interstate when I picked it up and it was a beautiful ride. Hummed along at 70 mph.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and advice.

thanks
-uv

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
It's probably gonna need new tires. The old rubber will not last long, and if you see any heavy checking or cracking, get 'em off that much faster. did the PO perform the break-in service on it? That'll mean another oil change and checking all the major fasteners (axles, steering head, engine mounts, riser bolts).

also check any exposed connections for corrosion (like on the regulator/recitifier, starter, etc). check the rubber hoses, gas tank breather lines, crankcase breather line for breakdown.

Outside of that, you'll have to ride it to exorcise any other gremlins. valve cover seals, primary seals, etc won't give you trouble till they've been forced to work. Just keep an eye out.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
I bought a 2006 VN900 last year. It had 3100 miles on it. The owner had it covered and garaged since he bought it. Since I knew him I knew he didn't beat it up. I changed the fluids including the brakes. It had the factory tires which I changed two months ago. They still looked great but I changed them for peace of mind. Sounds like the second owner did a lot of work for you already. Like Luciferiad said get out there and ride it. I would stay local for a while to see if all is good. If you do break down at least your close to home. But it sounds like your good to go. Let's see some pics.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hadn't thought about the scheduled service and such. I'll take it to a dealer and have them check out the bike. Although I am not sure it should be a dealer or a reliable independent mechanic around here.

Thanks
-uv

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Front Brakes

So after riding this bike for a couple of weeks, there are a couple of things that I noticed, which I would appreciate your advice on.

-The front brakes are pretty weak. It does not contribute much to overall braking power as far as I can see. I need to use the rear brakes even on a slow roll to come to a firm stop. When it is stationary I can use the front brakes and keep it from rolling without any problem. I took it to a local bike shop and they said that the stock brakes weren't much to begin with and upgrading the pads to something better might help a bit. Is this normal for this bike?
-Also I noticed that the belt was pretty tight. Did not have the slack that I have seen on some other belt driven bikes. Again the shop thought it was fine. Again is that the case with this bike?

Thanks
-uv

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
the brake pads whether it's a bike or truck are gonna be cheap, when your mass producing vehicles your gonna cut costs. Switching to a higher grade pad will be worth the money. As far as the belt is concerned when I had the tires changed I had to take it back due to a noise and the main mechanic told me the mechanic that worked on my bike tighten the belt too much and it was miss aligned and he had to loosen it a bit. Works fine now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My classic is a 2007 and it was similar to yours. It had few miles then, I've put about 8000 on it. The original tires likely have tiny cracks from age. Replace those with the Michelin commander 2s. Plan on a new seat; I put the mustang seat on mine. Check the grease fittings on the bottom - at least 1 of the 3 is likely broken off on a speed bump. You should have already changed the oil and the battery. Ride it until something breaks, which is unlikely for a long time.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
20 Posts
-The front brakes are pretty weak. It does not contribute much to overall braking power as far as I can see. I need to use the rear brakes even on a slow roll to come to a firm stop.
When I bought my 2008 Custom last month, it only had 5400 miles and the front brakes were terrible. I could actually walk the bike forward with the front levers at full squeeze. Cleaning the rotors and bleeding the brakes didn't help much (though I felt better after changing out the nasty, black fluid).

But what finally did the trick was bedding the brakes in with several hard stops from 30 and 40 mph using the front brake only. They're still weaker than the brakes on my vulcan 500, but now I can actually stop without touching the rears.

Brake pads are pretty cheap, but I'd change the fluid and try some hard stops first.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks I shall try the hard braking method to break in the pads. I read the same suggestion elsewhere too.

Thanks
-uv

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow I guess I got lucky on my 2008 Classic LT,, my front brakes work great ! I know there is some kind of adjustment dial on my brake lever,, but that is probably to adjust for lager/smaller hands ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts