Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have got an issue with my VN900 overheating and the radiator fan is not working, I have checked the fuse is in good condition, what should I do.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Check the coolant level. There is an overflow bottle on the left side, behind a cover with a circle on it, just behind the kickstand. Unfortunately, the temp sensor used by the ECU to turn on the fan, is located near the top of the cooling system. Once it's uncovered by a low coolant level, the fan will no longer work reliably. The fix is a proper coolant level.

It's possible the overflow bottle has fluid, but removing the radiator cap will still confirm a low fluid level. This is a cooling system vacuum problem, but we can discuss that issue if you discover it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your advice I will drain the coolant of the radiator and try to proceed as instructed, God bless you

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys after draining the radiator cooling liquid and replaced with a genuine coolant still the radiator fan is not working, knowing that I made a complete drain and excellent coolant level and making sure no air is captured anywhere. The fan fuse is in good condition also, Is there any other way to check before opening the complete fan.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The problem also could be a defective water temperature sensor or a defective cooling system fan motor. Was the system working properly as it should, and then did it suddenly stop working?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Well, now you have to do some troubleshooting. You could remove the fan and apply power, to make sure it runs correctly. It could be a bad temp sensor, as Hot Cruiser said. I haven't checked, but there is most likely a relay that turns the fan on, so you could test to see if it energizes. The service manual has a surprising number of component tests in it and how to do them. Basically, you have to start eliminating what the problem is not, to narrow down what it could be. Sounds like you've already started that with the fuse.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you gentleman's I will start testing manually by opening the fan for direct connection if it's the same then will go towards the heat switch relay, it's getting hot here in Bahrain and having the bike running without the fan on, it will cause more damage to the bike, God bless you all...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts