Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, February 2016
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2008 VN900 Classic LT w/ 17k miles has stalled on me a couple of times now.

Once going into a sharp right turn and another time coming to a stop at a light. I get a big puff of exhaust from the right side of the engine, followed by it stalling. Both times were after riding for about 30 minutes or so.

Starts right up immediately afterwards.

It starts right up from cold and seems to run fine otherwise.

Its been well maintained, and aside from Vance & Hines Slashcuts and K&N air filter, its mechanically stock.

I recently replaced the battery.

Before I take it into the shop, I was wondering what the usual culprits may be.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'd start by making sure the idle speed is set correctly.

·
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is one thought, although it idles fine normally...so I think that this has a very low likelyhood. In neither case did it bog out as if it was idling low.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
... and another time coming to a stop at a light.
Was this a relatively hard stop? If so then perhaps you might have some wires rubbing under / around tank that are interfering with ignition? Just a guess...

·
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would not call either of the occassions...hard stops.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'd also just take a quick minute or two to check both battery cables for tightness where they connect to the battery.

·
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Good idea, I did check that and all is solid. I also know that loss of power is not the issue, because the time/trip meter does not reset.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a 2007 Classic.
This has happened to me several times.
It felt like someone just shut off the key and would start and run immediatly.
I disconnected the sidestand and clutch "safety" switches and never had a problem since

·
Registered
529 Posts
Had a friend with a similar problem on a totally different bike. We finally found a rats nest of melted wires under his tank/seat. Not sure of the cause, that's where I exited the scene. Given your bike, and the things I have heard on the forum, when was the last time you replaced your Stator. If it was mine, I would start there.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I did that, no recalls for my vin. It's the puff of blue smoke that comes out the air cleaner when it stalls that bothers me the most.
Blue smoke usually indicates burning oil. Is your bike using any oil that you know about? Keep in mind, the crank case breathes into the air intake; could be the backfire is burning oil residue from that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Blue smoke usually indicates burning oil. Is your bike using any oil that you know about? Keep in mind, the crank case breathes into the air intake; could be the backfire is burning oil residue from that.
crazyriderguy , I change my oil every april. I usually put about 3500 miles a year on it and never have had to add oil. I kind of felt like it was idling a little low so I upped it some. without a tach its hard to tell, and it has not stalled since. (Fingers crossed) ...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts