Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a project bike that had been taken apart for painting and then never painted. I have it mostly back together and the wiring harness plugged back in. Most of it anyways. What all is necessary for this bike to start? I am missing the left side handle bar controls and all lighting wiring. I don't think any of that would be required to start it. All fuses in fuse box are good. The 30 amp fuse is good at the starter relay. New battery because the bike didn't come with one. It is also hooked up to a battery jumper box when trying to start it since it isn't being charged by the bike. missing the key switch so I have a jumper wire telling it the key switch is on.

The neutral switch is lighting up green so I can assume that works. The kickstand switch I have a jumper wire on. I can get it to turn over by hitting the start switch or by jumping the two wires at the starter relay.

When I turn it on with my jumper wire at the key switch my oil pressure light comes on. It goes away when it starts to turn over but my FI light flashes when it tries to turn over.

I haven't spent much time with the bike due to work but I should have some time with it tonight when I get home. All I can think of is that I need to make sure the fuel pump is getting power. Am I missing anything obvious here? Does any part of the cooling system or charging system need to be wired up for it to start? As of now I just have the engine/transmission/ecu wiring hooked up because as soon as I have confirmation it runs I will be taking it back apart. Just wan't to know I have a good healthy engine before I spend any more money on this project. I do apologize for my first post being so needy.

Thanks,
Justin

·
Registered
67 Posts
Spark plugs maybe? (I'm just guessing)

Idle speed knob too low?

Not sure if it helps but my Vulcan when it was stock had a hard time starting cold, it would just turn over and over for what seemed like forever.. once I got a fuel processor in it the bike starts almost immediately

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why exactly is that? I have the key switch with the key broken off inside of it, and missing the cables that would have come out of it. Not arguing with you just curious as to why it would have to have a key. When i plug in my jumper wire the gauge cluster comes on as if the key was turned to on. i was going to just use a simple key switch i have from an old street legal dirt bike conversion. From what you're saying it appears I need an oem kawasaki key switch?

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
There is a rudimentary anti-theft in the key switch that prevents a start from jumper wires.

I will not discuss how it works...others may, but not me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, i see what you're getting at. Well I have all the parts and a check that it's not stolen so i am not trying to bypass it for any reason like that. I completely understand you not wanting to explain though. and thank you for the answer, i will be able to purchase a correct switch from kawasaki to get it going and stop aimlessly checking voltages and continuity of various wires

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
You need the switch anyways, so might just as well purchase now.
You may have other problems, but this must be rectified before going any farther.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered my switch today but it will be a few days at least before it comes in. I was tinkering with it again tonight after some online research. I heated up the ignition switch solder and removed the resistor. I added the resistor to the wiring and it shows 6.42 volts at the grey wire. Still will not start. I actually got this information from you, sfair, in the Vulcan 800 postings. I have no idea if that applies to the 900 or not. Like I said - just wanted to tinker on it some and I had nothing to lose by trying.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
I will always try to assist in the repair of that circuit and try not to describe how it works and never tell how to defeat it, but I am sure the information can be had...just not from me.

When you get your switch installed, post back with your results.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I added the resistor to the wiring and it shows 6.42 volts at the grey wire. Still will not start. I actually got this information from you, sfair, in the Vulcan 800 postings. QUOTE]

Hmm, seems mighty familiar...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea, Pagman, I was reading through your thread to get some of my information. Just not sure if it is the same for the 900's. Anyways, Switch should be in tomorrow or Saturday. I went ahead and ordered a few other parts too so hopefully the switch fixes my problem or at least points me in the right direction.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Seems like I'm in the same boat. Im waiting for my ignitor to arrive and hope that will solve my starting problem. Just worried about wasting the money if it's not. Regarding your situation, you actually need that switch. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Good luck to both of you. Hopefully you get the issues figured out. I got lucky with my no starting problem. Flip the key on, hit the switch and nothing. No turn over, no start. Turned out to be the connector to the throttle side wiring under the tank came loose. Plugged it back in tight and she fired right up. I was sweating for about an hour trying to figure it out. Hope you get it all sorted out!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the new switch on and still not starting. Turn the key on and both oil and fi lights are solid red. Try to start it and it when it turns over the oil light goes off and the fi light stays solid. After a few seconds turning over the fi light starts flashing. Not sure if that tells you anything.

·
Registered
357 Posts
maybe I'm just being stupid but, do you have gas in the tank? fresh gas not the stuff that may have been in it?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it's the gas i had in a gas can that i run through my lawnmower. not fresh, i figured it would still start even if it didn't run too great.

·
Registered
134 Posts
it's the gas i had in a gas can that i run through my lawnmower. not fresh, i figured it would still start even if it didn't run too great.
Lawnmowers use that 2cycle oil. Did you premix that gas??

1 - 20 of 37 Posts