Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2007 Vulcan 900 LT with 8400 miles. I have done some maintenance on it like oil change,spark plugs,air filter, and blend the brakes. I noticed a bit of carbon build up on my exhaust. And the bike did sound a bit low on rpm and messed with the idle screw by ear. And later bought a digital tach to set the idle to spec I used setting 2p1r on it. But don’t know if it’s correct. I set it to about 1000 rpm but it sounds a bit on the high side. I want to know what the spark/pulse input on these Vulcans.

·
Registered
112 Posts
2p1r

2p1r digital tach setting?? Wrapped wire around spark plug wire?? These big twins like to lop at idle about 800rpm

2007 with8400 miles sound like a sitter!! You did the oil check coolant level and ride it!! Make sure the rad fan comes on after a long ride when it is hot outside - will not work this time of year or maybe if idled for a long time.

This bike needs some miles!!!

How old are the tires?? Original 2007?? Need new!!:surprise:

One more note when cold like AZ is now these bikes make lots of strange noises no choke fuel injected use a air valve system to choke for cold weather. I see you are a Minnie so tan almost a cheesehead!!!

Put on the thermo coveralls and go ride!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bike has good rubber metzeler me880. Just trying to set the idle to spec. And it is the type of tach you wrap around the spark plug wire. I had set it to about 1000 but sounds a bit high. So I don’t know if before the bike was just at a really low idle or the tach isn’t accurate. Or maybe even on the wrk g setting.

·
Registered
191 Posts
2P/1R should be 2 coil pulses per 1 engine revolution. Called a wasted spark ignition, plug fires on compression and exhaust stroke. Pretty common.

Also as stated, 1000 rpm is spec.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2P/1R should be 2 coil pulses per 1 engine revolution. Called a wasted spark ignition, plug fires on compression and exhaust stroke. Pretty common.

Also as stated, 1000 rpm is spec.
So the 2p1r is the correct setting? And do you know how accurate these wire tachs are?

·
Registered
191 Posts
900 is single fire...1 spark event per 720 degrees of crankshaft rotation.
I must have been looking at specs for a different size Vulcan. Now that I think about it, when I wired up my tach, there was a single fire adapter. My bad.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,855 Posts
When I had mine put on a dyno. The mechanic said she's happy when sits at 1000 rpm's.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Yep, 1000+/- 50 rpms. That's what my service manual calls for. It is an overhead cam motor not a pushrod type.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts