Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just got a 2007 Vulcan 900 Custom. When starting cold engine I hear a popping noise coming from near the filter. Before I rode it off from the dealer the sales guy noticed it too. He checked with the service techs and they said if it continued doing it that I should bring it in to be looked at. It seems it happens when the engine is cold and after it warms up I do not hear the popping anymore. I don't know if this is normal or something serious. It is used with about 4000 miles on it but the dealer did all of the checks on it put new spark plugs, oil, new battery, etc. I checked the list and they did about $500 worth of work on it so it really looks and runs perfect. Not a scratch or blemish on it. New tires. I did purchase a 12 month warranty.

Thanks in advance for any response.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have an 06 with 2200 miles and it doesn't do any of that at all....

I would take it back for a check up. What kind of fuel did they put in it? I normally don't use anything but 89 or 93 in mine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
for what its worth, the front head pipe might be a smidgin loose at the head bolts. if it is, it will leak and pop on a cold start, but once it warms up, the metal expands and seals the gap. or the front header crush gasket could be damaged. this might not be your issue, but its an easy and cheap thing to check anyway. had this happen on one of my bikes before. i tightened the exhaust back up, and it was fine. if it is the crush gasket, atleast its only a couple of bucks to replace.

·
Registered
427 Posts
for what its worth, the front head pipe might be a smidgin loose at the head bolts. if it is, it will leak and pop on a cold start, but once it warms up, the metal expands and seals the gap. or the front header crush gasket could be damaged. this might not be your issue, but its an easy and cheap thing to check anyway. had this happen on one of my bikes before. i tightened the exhaust back up, and it was fine. if it is the crush gasket, atleast its only a couple of bucks to replace.
That was my thinking as well. Does it have aftermarket pipes (not that stock pipes couldn't have this problem, but it's more likely if it's aftermarket)?

·
Registered
372 Posts
That was my thinking as well. Does it have aftermarket pipes (not that stock pipes couldn't have this problem, but it's more likely if it's aftermarket)?
well if it is what you are saying it is more likely that it would be due to bad assembly from the crate if it is stock pipes. It could have very well been loose the entire time the other person had it but that person never bothered to look into it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update on pop sound

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. I started it up this afternoon to double check before making an appointment to check it. It does not make the noise as frequent now but it still happens. Really it sounds like something hitting plastic hollow like if you tapped your car frame. Will make an appointment tomorrow just to be sure.

The bike is all stock.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi,

Just got a 2007 Vulcan 900 Custom. When starting cold engine I hear a popping noise coming from near the filter. Before I rode it off from the dealer the sales guy noticed it too. He checked with the service techs and they said if it continued doing it that I should bring it in to be looked at. It seems it happens when the engine is cold and after it warms up I do not hear the popping anymore. I don't know if this is normal or something serious. It is used with about 4000 miles on it but the dealer did all of the checks on it put new spark plugs, oil, new battery, etc. I checked the list and they did about $500 worth of work on it so it really looks and runs perfect. Not a scratch or blemish on it. New tires. I did purchase a 12 month warranty.

Thanks in advance for any response.
John
If you have a socket tool kit at home I would take a 13mm socket on an extension and tighten down the two exhaust pipe holder nuts on either side of the exhaust pipe. Just make sure thy are tight. I check my 900's every few months.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
You mention it sounds like the sound is coming from the front of the bike, down low, near the filter. Can you double check the source of the noise again and see if it may be broadcasting from under the tank? The secondary air supply valve on some of our rides can make a noise similar to what you are describing.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Best to use a torque wrench on those nuts. You wouldn't want to break them off.....torque specifications for the exhaust pipe holding nuts are 12 ft-lbs according to the service manual.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts