Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, so I just purchased my first bike. A used 2007 vn1600 classic from a dealership and had it shipped to my house. It has close to 16000 miles on it. Starts up good, took it for our first ride and things were going great for about 10 minutes. I am a brand new rider so I did stall it a couple times trying to find the right friction zone. I stayed in the neighborhood and hardly broke 20 mph trying to ease myself into this beast. When I would fully release the clutch in 1st there would be a rattle for a few seconds then would go away. Eventually after ten minutes the bike stalled, the clutch seems to be stuck engaged and the bike will not move. It will still start up fine in neutral but I can shift to first without pulling in on the clutch lever. There is also no friction zone where I will start to move if releasing just the clutch. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. This happened yesterday evening. I tried to hop on it today to see if it had to do with engine/oil temp and I am still having the same issue. There does seem to still be tension when I pull on the clutch as it’s not too loose.

·
Super Moderator
2,716 Posts
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Glad you decided to join us. Congratulations on your new ride. If you just purchased this bike, bring it back to the dealer and have him look at it. But there might be nothing wrong with the bike. When taking off and hearing a rattle is usually not having the rpm up enough causing the bike to lug and shake. As far as the shifting your bike is equipped with a Positive Neutral Finder system that prevents the transmission from shifting from first into second when it is at a standstill. Once the bike is under way, the centrifugal force of a spinning transmission shaft disengages the device, ideally allowing unhindered upshifts. So when sitting still only first gear and neutral will be accessible. If you are unsure and the dealer is far away, are there any neighbors that have bikes that could take a quick look at it? Thanks again for joining the forum. Be well and Ride Safely.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Glad you decided to join us. Congratulations on your new ride. If you just purchased this bike, bring it back to the dealer and have him look at it. But there might be nothing wrong with the bike. When taking off and hearing a rattle is usually not having the rpm up enough causing the bike to lug and shake. As far as the shifting your bike is equipped with a Positive Neutral Finder system that prevents the transmission from shifting from first into second when it is at a standstill. Once the bike is under way, the centrifugal force of a spinning transmission shaft disengages the device, ideally allowing unhindered upshifts. So when sitting still only first gear and neutral will be accessible. If you are unsure and the dealer is far away, are there any neighbors that have bikes that could take a quick look at it? Thanks again for joining the forum. Be well and Ride Safely.
I appreciate the response and I hope you are right! I am in Ohio and got the bike off cycle trader from a dealership in Texas. I have spoken with them and they suggested I took it to a nearby shop and they would foot the bill but I will have to schedule an appointment and have it towed there which I am hoping to avoid.
At a standstill, shouldn’t I still have to hold in the clutch to go from neutral down to first? I currently do not. I can just press down on the shifter to first with no clutch in and it doesn’t stall. Also once I have it in first at a standstill, I can pull the clutch in and release it with no stall and if I pull it in, start to ease it out there is no movement of the bike with or without throttle.

·
Super Moderator
2,716 Posts
Thanks for clarifying that. That is clearly a problem. Take the bike to a Kawasaki dealer by trailer. While it is there have them check the entire bike. Putting a idling bike in gear with no clutch should cause grinding, a lurch, and a stall. To be able to go into gear would mean the clutch is stuck in the released position. But you say the bike will not move which means it is stuck in the engaged position. ??? Post back here with any additional questions on how the selling dealer and the repairing dealer on handling the issue. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Getting the bike to a dealer sounds like your best bet right now. From a few statements in your original post, I suspect you don't have much experience with MC mechanical work. This sounds like the clutch slave cylinder is stuck, holding the clutch disengaged. I've seen several posts about this and I've experienced it on my 2017 Vaquero. You've got a 13 yr old bike with only 16,000 miles on the clock. That's a lot of down time (I have 15,000 on my '17). That's a lot of time for things to rust and rot. Aside from getting the clutch figured out, you should have them go over the entire bike to check for aging issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts