Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Anyone taken rear wheel off , im thinking of doing this
To check bearings and give her a good lubing up , have done this on other bikes with drive chains but never drive belt just worried about drive belt adjustment, I’ve had the bike over 2 years now and I don’t know how long drive belt has been on it looks ok , bike has done 16K . Read online about changing drive belt and you have to take part of the swing arm off don’t want to have to do that . Thanks
Ride safe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
If had mine off a few times. I hear there is a tool that the dealers use for belt tension, I just went from memory and some common sense. I think its detailed as the belt will deflect a certain distance with x amount of force. As for alignment, when I had the rear wheel off the ground, i spun the tire by hand while watching the belt. Once it was close and not riding the edges of the pulley, i went for a 20 mile ride. When I got home, I noticed the belt had moved a little. A small adjustment, and it's been good since. It's really not a big deal, easier than my old shaft drive bike. As for belt replacement, if there isn't signs of obvious damage, I would keep running it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Unless the belt has damage from rocks etc. it should last as long as the bike. There is nothing to lube on the rear wheel, all the bearings are sealed, but maybe a little grease on the axle to keep it from rusting , and make it easier to remove.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for reply’s guys
Much appreciated it’s doesn’t sound to much different than chain adjustment . I’ve seen that adjustment tool and like you said gosupes i don’t think it’s necessary. Sealed bearings is a bonus as is the drive belt just need to check it regularly, greasing the axle sounds like a job next time I’m off work a few days
Thanks again guys feel a lot more confident now .
Ride safe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
As others have posted the drive belt should last as long as the motorcycle unless it has been damaged. Adjusting belt tension - I got a tool from a Harley dealer source which puts the required deflection testing pressure on the belt as seen at the adjusting slit on the belt guard. Cost about $6, makes testing easier. Amazingly the belt on mine has not needed adjusting except when replacing the rear tire. Overall a 1000% improvement over rear wheel drive chain systems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts