Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Bearings

The only incident (complete failure) that I have had with the bearings in the V2K is with the dampner bearing on the drive pulley on my 04. I replaced it and then it failed again, so I went with the double bearing kit from an 06. No major problems so far. My front wheel bearings began to wear so I replaced them too, at about 25000mi. Now I do them every year just as a precaution, like changing the oil. I used to wash with a pressure washer and the roads here are not great, so I figure that those factors, coupled with weight load on my bike are reason enough for the extra wear. Winters are long here, so spending one day changing bearings and seals isn't an issue.:D

·
Registered
294 Posts
Pressure Washer

Before I even read Danads post, I was going to say that sometimes people unknowingly spray the grease out of their bearings with pressure washers. The bearing seals aren't made to keep high pressure out but just to keep grease in. Stay away from pressure washer!

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I think I read the pressure washer post too late. I've noticed a squeaking our of my rear wheel and now wonder if I washed the grease out. BTW are the bearings difficult to replace or is it an expensive trip to the dealer?

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Difficult...? There is some pulling and pressing of bearings required, in addition to, of course, removing the rear wheel.

If you don't have a lift and or some way to drop the rear tire, you have to remove the seats and back rest, bags, bag mounts, passenger floorboards, and rear fender to roll the tire out (with the bike frame supported/raised slightly, of course). There are a fair amount of screws and nuts using the remove fender way but it's really no too hard nor terribly time consuming.

What you can muster for bearing puller and press might be another story.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I tried lifting the complete bike with a floor jack. Since I generally don't have assistance it seemed like a recipe for disaster. That bike is pretty high to get the tire out with full rear fender, balancing precariously on a floor jack.

Anyway, if that works for ya' great, but taking off the fender is really easy and relatively quick.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DO NOT try to do this by yourself ! Yes, you DO have to lift it rather high to drop the wheel out, but WITH ASSISTANCE it's a cinch. We throw a cinder block underneath with a couple sections of 2X4, let it back down on that, it's rock solid.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Wash gun

I think I read the pressure washer post too late. I've noticed a squeaking our of my rear wheel and now wonder if I washed the grease out. BTW are the bearings difficult to replace or is it an expensive trip to the dealer?
The bearings in the hub and in the wheels are supposed to be grease sealed units, but if the seal has been compromised by wear or heat, the water is an issue. The outer seals are not a good design, more to keep rocks and bugs out than anything:D It is not a big job to do the bearings in the rear wheel, simple hand tools and a basic diagram from the manual so you put all the spacers back in the right place....As for the lift, I bought an inexpensive ATV lift from our version of Pep Boys and use it for everything, even washing and polishing...:)

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
While I certainly agree that a worn or damaged seal can allow water into a bearing, generally speaking, "sealed" bearings aren't impervious to a (high) pressure washer, worn seal or not.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had a really noticeable squeal in my front wheel last year and thought it was the bearings. I could not pin down the source as riding along with my ear near the wheel is not a good look. I even put the bike on a lift and spun the wheel but could not replicate the noise. I asked around and was told by a mechanic who has a V2K and who does a lot of work on them here in Aust that sometimes the seals dry out and to spray some WD-40 on the bearing seals. It worked and the noise has never re-appeared. This may be the solution to the problem.

Cheers and Beers.

Bob

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,905 Posts
using a car jack is just asking for eventual trouble.

goto harbor freight and pick up a motorcycle lift.

If you scam a harbor freight coupon from any of the "biker magazines", the "yellow" lift is only $60.

Lift it up and strap it down. then your good to go. You can run/reeve the engine and everything..

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought one of those Harbor Freight lifts, have you? If you measure the width of it, you only have about a total of an inch and a half to spare, divided by two. Not my idea of a lift. We use a floor jack, also from Harbor Freight, only to lift the bike and then set it on a solid concrete block. Not going anywhere, even when you rev it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts