Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 V2K Classic LT.... any one know if it is there on this model?

And how easy is the ones to get to under the tank....have heard not easy.

I have found the ones under the seat. :)

Going to put a power socket up on handle bars.

Thanks in advance.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
2007 V2K Classic LT.... any one know if it is there on this model? And how easy is the ones to get to under the tank....have heard not easy. I have found the ones under the seat. :) Going to put a power socket up on handle bars. Thanks in advance.
pokie, yes. There is aux power connectors +,- in the headlite bucket. it is for aux lamps so it probly worx with the hi-lo switch?
Personaly I would not use it or any other factory harness wiring for aux items.
Empty tank b4 (ride) Remove the tank. Seat first. Then bolt at back of tank. Two fuel hoses at rear of tank. Disconnect 4 connectors and fuel pump hose left side under tank. Lift back of tank and slide back and off.

Run NEW red 16g wire from battery+post thru new fuse thru new relay up to handy bars. Run new blak 16g wire from batt-post (frame ground) at batt to handy bars.
Install pilot duty switch at handy bars or (?) run new 18g wire from any key switched circuit including factory aux connector TO pilot duty switch. Run new 18g wire FROM pilot duty switch to 12vdc coil on new relay. Run new 18g black wire from relay coil to batt-post frame ground lug.
Install aux power outlet at handy bars or(?) connect 16g red+ and blak- wires.
Button up yor sled. ie put it bak together. You now have a complete aux system that will not SMOKE your stok wires ever.
Once you get over wat appears to be work (it's not) you will NEVER plug anything into stok wiring agin. If you've ever smoked melted a wiring harness, this small amount of cost and work is peanuts. be smart not lazy, do it. poncho

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I believe both factory aux power connectors are hot all the time.

If I'm looking at the wiring diagram correctly, power is supplied from battery to the fuse box through the 30A ECU main fuse, then 15A Fuse 2 supplies power to the aux wires.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thank guys

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I believe both factory aux power connectors are hot all the time.
If I'm looking at the wiring diagram correctly, power is supplied from battery to the fuse box through the 30A ECU main fuse, then 15A Fuse 2 supplies power to the aux wires.
perzackly. Any aux load is funneled thru existing fuses and wiring. Too many aux lectric items either fail or are misapplied and ventualy go to ground. Wen they do yor lucky if all they take out is the secondary fuse. Often they play havoc on otter items like spensive ECU or mebbe melt a wire or several in close proximatey.
Jus my humblist opinion, leave stok wiring and loads intact. Run new wire, fuses, relays to new loads. butt u gotta do watt u gotta do. poncho

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I get the switched power relay thing and I agree that in the big picture that is a better way to go.

However, if unswitched battery power is OK, and the load is small, say just a couple amps for GPS or phone chargers, I think using the aux circuit is OK. Bearing in mind, OK use would entail putting in a fuse holder and the appropriate smaller sized fuse (e.g. 5A) right where your wiring ties into the aux connectors. That way, if there was a fault in the added wiring, it would blow the small fuse way before any damage should be done to the aux wiring or battery/fuse box circuit.

It costs a bit of extra dough, but Eastern Beaver has some pre-built, relay switched harnesses with extra fused circuits that tie directly to battery. http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Wiring_Kits/wiring_kits.html

I looked into ordering enough parts from Mouser or DigiKey or WayTek to make a few kits with fully sealed connectors and all that but the quantity to get the prices per unit less than what they're selling for was just too much.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I get the switched power relay thing and I agree that in the big picture that is a better way to go.

OK use would entail putting in a fuse holder and the appropriate smaller sized fuse (e.g. 5A) right where your wiring ties into the aux connectors. That way, if there was a fault in the added wiring, it would blow the small fuse way before any damage should be done to the aux wiring or battery/fuse box circuit.
makes sense, use small fuse. I get fuses and relays and led switches at autozone for $5. I have plenty wire and connectors, my business is controls-instruments.

1975 i bought a used cb750 from a buddy. he had chopped it pretty good and did some wiring things to it. I took it from michigan to what was gonna be a mehico run. I made it to galveston tx b4 it went tits up. a bus ride to new orleans and a truk to haul it bak home. it needed serious wiring replacement,, or that is wat I was told. didnt kno then wat I kno now. cost of new harness and labor, I wound up scraping that bike for peanuts. today I would rewire it myself. but I will never use a stock harness for any aux items. poncho

1 - 8 of 8 Posts