Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I finally get my wife on the bike for a quick but enjoyable trip across state lines when after we stopped to get gas the bike started to stall at highway speeds until it stopped. I coasted over and stopped on the shoulder. Waited a few minutes and was able to crank it up again. We rode it for about two miles and it started stalling until it died again. If I sit and wait, it will start up without hesitation but would only go a few feet before stalling and dying. I had to call for help to get us home then had to rent a trailer to retrieve it. ( not a good way to impress your wife, huh?)

So is it bad fuel, bad fuel filter/pump, or something else?

·
Super Moderator
3,867 Posts
Maybe got some bad fuel at the station. Am sure the Mrs. was not impressed, but hey for better or for worse. 😀.
Don’t know if you have a factory repair manual, so here is a link to download one. Like Bluedrake stated, listen for the fuel pump priming. Since this happened right after fueling, has to be fuel related. Did you change the grade of your fuel when filling up? Mentioning it because my 900 was running great and one day I filled with premium and the bike ran like garbage and just limped home. Changed out to regular fuel and some Seafoam and all was well again. Hope you find the issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wonder if seafoam would help with a clogged filter, might be a cheap and easy fix either way. I've had good luck with it just don't mix more than the bottle says. Good luck

·
Registered
350 Posts
I wonder if seafoam would help with a clogged filter, might be a cheap and easy fix either way. I've had good luck with it just don't mix more than the bottle says. Good luck
Probably 98% its your fuel, filters clogged, or your fuel pump is on its way out....
Turn on key, pump should whine for 2 or 3 seconds, priming your EFI, then stop. If you don't hear your pump, your fuse has blown and/or pump has gone out. If its a really loud whining, its probably gettiin ready to go out. Or, your filter is clogged. Run a pressure test on your fuel system, as per your repair manual....
Let us know what you find....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, sorry for the delay in response. Yes my fuel filter whines as usual when I turn on my key. Also, I have never put anything but 91 octane gas in this bike ( as recommended).
So before I dissect the tank or fuel line, you suggest “sea foam” in the gas to see if it will clean up the possible debris?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah, that's what I would try. Start with a potentially low risk-high reward solution; I think a can of seafoam is about 8 dollars.

It's kind of a universal fuel additive, I use it for lawn mowers as a winter fuel treatment here in indiana or in our cars for a carbon treatment/fuel treatment

The reason I think it might help you is because it
might either:

A.) Breakdown enough sediment/old gummy fuel to allow more fuel through the filter

B.) If you were unlucky and got bad gas it will bond to any water and allow it to get carried into and expelled out of the combustion chamber.

Good luck!

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have been extremely happy with the use of Sea Foam. If you are lucky it will fix the problem. I use it for all my gas engines that need to be stored.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Its probably not debris....its probably some foul fuel, either some E85 thats seperated or paint thinnerey.....
One of the things you gotta do to check to eliminate problems. Dump your fuel, put in fresh stuff....then try it. As said, check for fuel pressure as requested....

Reactions: The rider

·
Registered
2007 VN1600D
5 Posts
It could be fuel related, could also not. When it stalls, does it sputter and groan before dying or stall suddenly? If it's running fine but cuts out abruptly it could be electrical, most likely loose battery terminal connections. Check basic stuff like that first.

·
Registered
'05 800B
2,004 Posts
my 800 died on me 2 miles from a gas station fill up once, what happened was i filled up too much and gasoline got into the tank air vent line and created a vacuum causing the motor to cut out due to lack of fuel, i blew thru the air vent line to expel the gas and all is ok thereafter but now i don't fill the tank up so full

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had an issue with my coil that caused the back cylinder to stop firing intermittently. The power lead was not actually slipped over the terminal, rather just held next to it by the plastic insulation sleeve. Not sure if it was me or my mechanic that caused the problem, but since he figured out what the heck was going on I’m betting it was my fault. :confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts