Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Hopefully someone can shed a little light on the rear fender covers and their attachment to the bike.

When I got my 2007 a month ago, it had saddle bags. I removed them and the bag bolster/frames from the sides of the bike. Later I realized that there should be a cover on each side of the bike. But I didn't get them when I bought the bike. So I found a pair on eBay. The finish needed work, but they were undented. Since my bike is a special edition. I did a test with powder coating the right rear cover and it came out pretty good. I still need to prep the underside and powder coat it and do the same to the left side cover.

My question are what other parts needed. I know I will need four M6 bolts, not a problem. When I look at the microfiche online for parts, that area is a little confusing. It looks like I need a "collar", part number 92027-162 that goes to the forward hole of each side cover. But when I just put the cover up to where it should go, it looks like each bolt will need a collar, or spacer.

So I'm looking to see who else have removed these covers and what I need to get them attached to the bike properly. Here are some images of the right side:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Luckily it's not critical, but I would like to get them properly attached to the bike. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Robert

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, as a side note, after I finished sending the previous message, I was looking at the microfiche some more and noticed the bungee cord hooks were installed incorrectly. So I have swapped the two sides. Now I think I'm only missing the two collars and the four M6 bolts.

Cheers,
Robert

·
Registered
25 Posts
I pulled mine off to put on a sissy bar + luggage rack. Mine just had the covers + bolts, nothing else.

note that on my 2007 mean streak special edition, those covers were actually gloss black, not matte/satin

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I went with the satin powder-coat as it would closer match the paint then the gloss. Luckily I can always add another layer of powder-coat.

Thanks again,
Robert

·
Registered
25 Posts
actually I think it looks better with the satin :)

If you have any other questions specific to the 2007 special edition, let me know. Also, I had bought a set of factory black saddlebag supports based on my original plan, but ended up buying a set of saddlebags with a custom mount. so if you need them, let me know. Its hard to find much in matte black that fit

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, but that's what I pulled off my bike. I have those bits ready in case I'm going on a club rally.

Also, I found that the "collar" is tack-welded on the back of the cover. Not sure why it was listed as a part when it's already part of the cover, but at least I cleared up the confusion.

Got more powder coming in today and I will get the proper size bolts and washers tomorrow. Hope to powder-coat the bits and get the covers on the bike.

I'll put up pictures when done.

Cheers,
Robert

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ok, I got more powder for the powder-coating, the bolts and washers.

Let's start with the images:

The second image is a little washed out due to the sun.

Edit: New set of images with LED lighting:
http://imgur.com/pWQWT5v
http://imgur.com/Ymc4PI8

Hopefully these images show the blemishes better!

The first problem I had was that I powder-coated the underside of the cover. I figured satin black powder would be fine. When they came out of the oven, it looked flat black. I looked at the bag of powder I got and it said "Satin Black". But it was definitely not like the satin black I used before. Flat and no shine. I didn't even bother powder-coating the top side again as I new that some of the powder I sprayed collected on the underside as well as that's what charged particles do.

I noticed there were more flat areas on the top side than before. But when all is "said-and done", it's not that bad and pretty much looking like the black paint on the fender.

Second problem... One of the holes on the left side had a little bit of metal in it, so I thought I would use a tap and turn it out. Well Murphy showed up and the tip of the tap broke off in the hole. Zero luck with extractors. So I got out the drill bits and and started to drill it out. Since it's an M6 bolt that goes in there, I used a 5mm drill to drill it out. 30 minutes later I was done. Go to use the M6 tap and it is just not catching metal to make some threads. I get a larger drill bit and hog out some more metal. Now the tap is working!!! At this point I'm really paranoid as Murphy is going to show up and the tap I'm using is going to break off in the hole. So I work in a quarter to half turn, back it out and repeat. Every-now-and-then I'll back the tap all of the way out and blow out any loose bits. Finally I get it tapped all of the way through and the M6 bolts go into it nicely.

Third problem... The rear right-side cover hole will "barely" hold onto an M6 bolt. Most you can just go in and out. Ok, not good! So I use an SAE Phillips bolt instead which works just fine. Problem is that it isn't a cap bolt and it's silver, not black. So I put it in and snug it down, then use a bit of touch-up paint so it matches everything else. You can see in the first picture the Phillips bolt.

At this point, it's together and looking pretty good. Not as I had envisioned it all, but it's better. I figure I will need to use an M7 tap for that one hole and get an M7 bolt. At least they will look mostly consistent. The powder-coating I will revisit at a later date when my "blood pressure" goes down.

Now onto the clutch...

Cheers,
Robert

1 - 7 of 7 Posts