Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2006 900 lt classic. The first thing i noticed on the ride home was the speedometer Reads way too fast. Is there a fix for that? And it only took about 30 minutes and my butt was sore. So the first thing is a new seat. Coming from a 2009 harley electra glide which I could ride all day and not have the end of my spine killing me. So anybody have recommendations on which seat I should look at. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Congrats on your '06 900 LT Classic. With my '07 I have no problem with the OEM seat - a vast improvement over those seats on the sport bikes I have had previously. Using the Search box near the top of this page will yield a number of answers regarding alternative seats. My speedo reads 60 mph when the actual road speed is 55 mph - I simply allow for that when riding. The plus is that if one uses the actual displayed speedo reading in reference to the posted speed limit the rider will not get a speeding citation, but the negative is that following drivers may want run over the 900 rider!

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
Congrats on the '06 900! Great year for a great bike, I know!

I have the Mustang seat on mine. I can't say enough good things about it. It looks great and I can ride all day comfortably. Damn good when you consider I have a lower and upper back injury.

And the speedo query; Much has been said concerning this topic. Search it like @Hot Cruiser said and you will be rewarded with plenty of reading material!

I considered installing the resistor as per some posters on the forum. It's not a big deal for me as I am an Electronics tech by trade. I decided not to alter the speedo for a few reasons.

The indicated speed puts me slightly under the posted limit. Good for avoiding tickets. This in turn allows me to spend my money on mods.

I use my Samsung S8 as a primary instrument on my bike. (Music, Intercom, Navigation, Phone, Trip Recorder...etc) The GPS Nav gives me a very accurate speed indication regardless of my current configuration.

Even after altering the speedo it still won't be spot on. Just closer.

Tire size will slightly alter your actual speed indication as well.

The '06 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt came out and I fell in love with it. I knew I would own one some day. I felt very lucky the day I found and bought mine.

It's such a wonderful bike. There are so many after market mods available. Buffy never fails to capture a lot of attention wherever she goes. She is quite the head turner.

Welcome to the 900 Classic Club. May your journey be filled with ooohs and ahhhs. And just remember this; there may be a lot of chrome out there...but there is never too much chrome out there.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sheep Skin seat cover

Stock seat is bad - I bought a sheep skin seat cover on Amazon about $50 makes a big difference - or you could spend $300 plus for a Mustang seat.

Speedometer read 5 miles fast Leave to like it Live with it!!!

:surprise::nerd::nerd::surprise::smile2::smile2:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I see the Mustang seat looks good to me. Been reading about them and someone said that to get full advantage of the backrest that I would need pull backs which is a new term for me. I am 5" 11" and I can see that all leaned back and comfortable the bars as they are now would be to far away. Anyone know about what size I should get and where to get them. I prefer not to do any drilling or other mods. Just something made for the bike. From past experience I know I won't ride the bike much if i am not comfortable. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm 5' 7" and have the Mustang seat and went with a 4" riser w/ a 2" pullback. I bought one made for Harley's so I had to buy an adapter for the mounting bolts, but altogether a very easy mod that put me in the sweet spot. This bike is so comfortable for me its like it was custom ordered.

Welcome to the club and keep the rubber side down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just replaced my 2006 seat with an Ultimate seat, backrest, and sissy bar pad. I can now ride all day without my behind killing me. I had an Ultimate on my previous bike and would choose the Ultimate or the Russell Day Long seats if you can handle the price.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just thought the Mustang seat was pricey but the ultimate is astronomical. You know these aftermarket seat makers could learn something from the Harley seats. There is a hole in the seat right in the middle where the back meets the bottom. Looking at it you would think it was for water drainage. Your tail bone goes right over that hole and floats in mid air. That and the back rest makes it possible to ride till you need gas. The ultimate maybe the best seat but man it is high. Still wondering about the riser, can you get one made for the 900 and if not could you give me some part numbers Gman?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Yes the seats are not very comfortable. People often change them.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I had the Mustang Vintage Wide Touring seat on my 900 Custom for 9 yrs (40,000 miles - no backrest). The day I sold it, it still looked and felt brand new. The covering they use (it's not leather) really holds up to the weather (my bike was covered in the winters but never garaged) and their foam is really comfortable, but never seems to loose it's memory. I never left butt prints in it that lasted more than a few minutes after getting off. I liked it so much that when I bought my Vaquero I ordered the seat before I brought the bike home.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Like Steve, I liked my Mustang Wide Touring with driver backrest so well on my 900 that I ordered one for my Voyager before I left the dealer. I had risers on my 900 as well. I still have them at home, but the triple tree has to be drilled to use them.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Like others the stock seat would start to really hurt my tailbone closing in on 2 hours. I got the Mustang seat 76126, but didn't need a backrest. The "built in" backrest has been good enough. The seat was a bit stiff at first, but after a few rides, it has become comfortable for several hours at a time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I settled on the Mustang with backrest haven't installed it yet. Still don't know about riser.Was hoping just bolt on deal don't really want to drill. Gman what parts did u use?

·
Registered
218 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I started by looking for the rise and pullback I wanted, then make sure it fits a 1" handlebar, which is handy, as that is a popular harley size. This is where I had to get adapters from SAE to Metric on the mounting bolts. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Baron-Custom-Accessories-BA-7411-01-Riser-Mounting-Kit-for-Kawasaki-and-/332870260032 . I used red locktite on the threads and it has been fine ever since.
Used the same ones i got from amazon,barons brand and all works out great.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,854 Posts
Just bought a 2006 900 lt classic. The first thing i noticed on the ride home was the speedometer Reads way too fast. Is there a fix for that? And it only took about 30 minutes and my butt was sore. So the first thing is a new seat. Coming from a 2009 harley electra glide which I could ride all day and not have the end of my spine killing me. So anybody have recommendations on which seat I should look at. Thanks.
I have a Mustang Day Tripper. Very happy with it. As far as the speedometer goes just stop looking at it. Works for me.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Personally I just had my OEM seat reshaped for my butt and added a Utopia Backrest.
For me it worked out way cheaper and it is now moulded for me.
Cheers

·
Registered
52 Posts
Personally I just had my OEM seat reshaped for my butt and added a Utopia Backrest.
For me it worked out way cheaper and it is now moulded for me.
Cheers
I'm probably going to go that Rte on mine as well. I saw in your list of add ons that you have a turn signal canceling module. Where did you find that? If you don't mind

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I took a ride the other day about 100 miles and the Mustang seat is by far more comfortable than stock and the backrest was wonderful. Installed riser with 4 inch up and 1 1/2 back today. I will love it even more as that is my style of riding coming from the Harley. Did I say that I have had two spinal fusion surgeries and comfort on the bike is mandatory. The mustang seat and the backrest fills the bill.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
I'm probably going to go that Rte on mine as well. I saw in your list of add ons that you have a turn signal canceling module. Where did you find that? If you don't mind
I got from
https://safer-turn.com/
I also have the smart brake module as well

1 - 20 of 20 Posts