Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased this bike and the prior owner put a new stator in. Could this have anything to do with why it is running like crap? It sounds like the engine is out of time.

I found the tank to be clean, but full of stale fuel. It took it off, and dumped it out and replaced it all with fresh 93. Also put in new plugs and they are both firing.

Any ideas on how I should proceed?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Wow sounds terrible,pretty sure stator isn't the prob,Hopefully some Gurus will chime in,sure sounds like it is on one cylinder tho

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
From the video it sounds like it is not getting enough fuel. Was the bike running like that when you got it? If so, you should return the bike to the previous owner and get your money back unless you wish to pursue some diagnostic work which could identify an expensive problem. Or it could be something relatively simple such as a bad but easily sorted out connection.

·
Registered
216 Posts
As it sounds like you aren't getting enough fuel, have you checked all of your fuel lines to make sure there isn't a crimp somewhere?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Not a fuel problem as I have feed the throttle body with a home made sprayer to act as a carb. Its not very precise but it did not make any difference. Its timing or electrical for sure.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
1. You bought it running like this, or?
2. How many miles on it?
3. Pull the plugs and post a picture.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1. Yes. Looked at it in the pouring rain! It started and I heard no abnormal mechanical sounds so I offered low and they took it. Its a nice bike condition wise.
2. 11,000 miles
3. Had them out 30 times. Black around edge, with a nice tan ceramic and clean electrode. They look normal amazingly.

I swapped oil feeds in case they miswired something. I also see it is NOT charging. If I take jumper pack off it is 12.5v and will continue to drop.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
1. Yes. Looked at it in the pouring rain! It started and I heard no abnormal mechanical sounds so I offered low and they took it. Its a nice bike condition wise.
2. 11,000 miles
3. Had them out 30 times. Black around edge, with a nice tan ceramic and clean electrode. They look normal amazingly.

I swapped oil feeds in case they miswired something. I also see it is NOT charging. If I take jumper pack off it is 12.5v and will continue to drop.
You didn't ride the bike before you bought it? Had the spark plugs out 30 times? Swapped the oil feeds - ??? Not charging - defective alternator/stator, regulator/rectifier, improper connection, or ?? Appears that you're going to need to go through sfair's extensive diagnostic procedures, or alternatively return the bike to the seller and get your money returned.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Batteries are low in keyboard. I swapped COIL feeds in case the prior owner miswires. Harley will run with them crossed but run just like that.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did not drive bike home. Bought the bike knowing it would need work. Bought it for a super low price to allow me to do the work myself to save labor, and to allow a parts buffer should any parts need bought.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So....... problem solved. Prior owner ruined the wiring from the stator to the rectifier, and pinched all the cloth wires in between the belt cover and engine, shorting them out. My belief is that the stator was outputting stray voltage into the ground of the bike making the ECM freak. It also had a parasitic load that would kill the battery in a few hours.

the bad news is the stator rubber grommet is leaking oil, so the side cover still needs to come off + be inspected. But at least it runs like a top now.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Congratulations for solving the problems! The leak at the rubber alternator/stator cover is a bit of a hassle since if the cover is removed engine oil will run out - suggest draining at least most of the crankcase oil to prevent that. The cover gasket probably will need to be replaced unless the old one is undamaged, but also suggest using sealant on the gasket and cover as well as on the rubber gasket. I tried to short-cut the reinstallation and the result was an oil leak.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
SMy belief is that the stator was outputting stray voltage into the ground of the bike making the ECM freak.
My thought is that the stator outputs noise (squeal) to the crankshaft position sensor that disrupts the timing signal.
One would need to put a DSO on the sensor to confirm.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts