Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bike hasnt started in a few months

Removed the plugs, they looked like they were soaked with fuel and they had a lot of carbon buildup

removed the line from the fuel pump nipple. I stuck a length of hose on nipple and tried to start the motor (to drain the fuel using the pump) nothing came out?

Shouldnt the fuel pump be pumping fuel when turning over the ignition?

is there a fuel pump relay or fuse?

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
To you hear a whirring/whining noise when you turn the key on and turn the killswitch off (to the position it needs to be in to start)? The pump should cycle shortly when the bike is turned on (unless the killswitch is on, in which case it'll cycle when the killswitch is turned off)

There is a fuse at least, not sure about a relay- for the fuel pump. I'll dig out my service manual and see if I can find it for you. However the fuses are labeled, if you take the lids off the fuse boxes you'll see labels on the lid for each fuse just like your car. You should find one for the fuel pump.

Why hasn't it started in a few months? Just for storage? What did you do to store it?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just got the bike so im not sure why it wasnt riden. i think the guy said that it wouldnt start so its just been sitting.

I hear a click click clicking real fast but not so much of a whirring / whining sound.

im going to try to find the fuse box. Under the seat?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Once you remove the seat there are two side covers, removable with a phillips screw. You'll see what I mean when you get the seat off. If I remember right, I think BOTH have fuse boxes, but give me a minute to find it in my service manual...

EDIT:

Okay, first question- is the FI warning light on? Or does it come on and turn off after a couple seconds? Or not come on at all when you turn the key on?

On the LEFT side of the bike, there is a plastic cover (pulls out once you remove the phillips screw under the seat). Remove that cover, find the fuse box. There is a fuse labeled 'ECU', check that fuse. Not likely, but worth checking.

On the RIGHT side, under the plastic cover, you'll find the bikes main fuse. If NOTHING came on when you turned the key that'd be the one to check. But you'll also find a black box containing relays. There are two relays next to each other in the box (should be labeled). One is for the ECU, and one is for the fuel pump. Have both tested and replaced if necessary.

If all fuses/relays check out, then you need to begin to diagnose the pump itself. Someone else will have to jump in on that one, I don't know of any way to test a fuel pump definitively other than what you've already done, but I'd hate for you to pull the tank, replace the pump, only to find it was something else...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you so much. i dont think ive ever gotten such a fast reply on any other forum. hell of a job my man.
i got both sides off. left side there is a fuse box, horn, ig, tail, head, turn, fan. ecu, acc, spare. all of them are good

dont really see anything on the right side. there is a 30amp fuse under the seat in front of the battery

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh man, i just read something that maybe the culprit. i just found out that the kickstand has to be up in order to start the bike. although the guy didnt mention anything about the kickstand having to be up. but now that i have it kinda apart, shouldnt the fuel pump be spitting out fuel when the kickstand is up, kill switch is off, and im turning over the motor?
because i cant remember when it was together if i had the stand up or not

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
thank you so much. i dont think ive ever gotten such a fast reply on any other forum. hell of a job my man.
i got both sides off. left side there is a fuse box, horn, ig, tail, head, turn, fan. ecu, acc, spare. all of them are good

dont really see anything on the right side. there is a 30amp fuse under the seat in front of the battery
The 30amp fuse is the 'main' fuse. It's supposed to be on the right side but it could have easily been pushed up in front of the battery. If the lights come on, etc., then that fuse is fine. If that fuse pops you'll have NOTHING.

On the right side there is a pretty boring looking black box. Has three big wiring harnesses plugged right into it. That's the relay box. Inside you should find your fuel pump relay.

EDIT: The bike will start with the kickstand down if it's in neutral. That's how I always start mine, so it idles for a second while I get situated.

If in Neutral;

Kickstand down or up
Killswitch to the 'run' position
Key on
Neutral light must be lit

If in gear;

Kickstand UP
killswitch to 'run'
Key on
Clutch must be pulled

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Did you notice the behavior of the FI light?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes the FI light turns on when i turn the key to IG. It makes that priming and clicking noise. the noise stops and the light turns off after a second.
when trying to turn the bike over the light stays on as long as im pressing the start key. its gotta be a bad fuel pump or relay idk

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
i just got the bike so im not sure why it wasnt riden. i think the guy said that it wouldnt start so its just been sitting.

I hear a click click clicking real fast but not so much of a whirring / whining sound.

im going to try to find the fuse box. Under the seat?
Clicking??? Are you sure the battery is OK?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Clicking??? Are you sure the battery is OK?
Oh wow good call, OP did you ever try to turn it over? I assume it cranks okay?

Listen to everything sfair tells you to do OP. He's that 'other people who need to jump in here' I was telling you about.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its been on the trickle charger and it cranks really good, lights are really bright, no signs of a dying battery to me

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i just took the peice on the right side of the bike off. The peice that the 3 plugs off the wiring harness hook to. i opened it and its a computer panel. does this entire box need to be replaced or just the fuse inside the box under the computer board?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
its been on the trickle charger and it cranks really good, lights are really bright, no signs of a dying battery to me
Do you have a way to take a video of the 'clicking' sound and upload it to youtube? (Smartphone maybe)? It would be helpful so folks can diagnose what it is.

I would still pull and check that fuel pump relay though.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
i just took the peice on the right side of the bike off. The peice that the 3 plugs off the wiring harness hook to. i opened it and its a computer panel. does this entire box need to be replaced or just the fuse inside the box under the computer board?
According to my service manual there's a couple relays in there, unless I'm looking at it wrong and maybe the relays are BEHIND it? Either way, there IS a fuel pump relay, on that right side... somewhere. Look under the right side part of the frame, too..

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Fuel pump relay is included in the relay box.

Some questions:

1. How many miles on the bike?
2. How long have you owned?
3. Did you buy it with this problem?
4. If so, what information did the previous owner give you?

I have to caution you about jumping around and digging for this problem instead of troubleshooting as one always runs the risk of introducing another fault, then the real tail chasing begins.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dont see a relay. hmmm. do these fuel pumps go bad? i mean, this thing looks pretty new. it seems like it may have sat for a while.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok heres all i know..

i got the bike last night, owner says it hasnt started in few months and he seemed to think that it was jetted wrong or a float was stuck. I didnt bother telling him it was fuel injected so i figured i would throw some new gas and plugs in it and it would fire right up. i trickle charged the battery, switched the plugs, checked connections.
at this point i decided to drain the tank. i figured i would disconnect the fuel line going to the injectors and hook up a hose feeding into a gas can i had lying around. i figured i would turn over the motor and the pump would siphon the fuel into the can. only nothing was coming out of the fuel pump nipple when i was turning over the ignition. the tank is about 3/4 full,.

oh and can i replace the fuel pump relay or is it built in and i have to replace the entire box?

1 - 20 of 122 Posts