Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The more questions I ask, the more confused I get! OK, so this service is mentioned in the Kawasaki shop manual at 15k miles. It MAY be needed, but maybe not. Last mech. I spoke to said, if it was needed NOW, the bike would be making noises that were out of the ordinary. Well, that is not the case at this point. A local dealership wants a total of $600 to do this. They say first off, it has to be inspected. If a valve clearance is needed, it costs more. OK, so lets say I have them check it, and it is NOT required at this time. What do I do, bring it back in another 15K miles to check it again, or wait till I hear something strange? Sound like one of those catch 22 deals. Please, what, if any, experiences has anyone else had with this? I mean, oil changes and such I get. You don't not change the oil until the engine is about to exlode. You do it to avoid it. This is always a required action. Same with air filters, tire pressure, etc. But this valve deal is, as George Carlin used to say, could be meat, could be cake.

·
Registered
953 Posts
You need your valves checked every 15K, then again at 30K, 45k, 60k, etc... (Some bikes are every 7500).
It should NOT COST $600!
Take it somewhere else. They are trying to rip you off.
This is part of the regularly scheduled services. My 15,000 mile service was around $300.This included semi synthetic oil, new plugs, and all the other checks involved (brakes, cables, etc...)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Yeah, I was just quoted $230-250 for a valve check here. I'll probably do it myself at some point but have a few weeks to decide.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
valve check

Yeah, they quoted me a sevice rate of $110 an hour. Seriously. So, All things considered, I'll find someone else. I like the bike so I want to keep it a while. Maybe I'll move to Killeen, Tx.!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Yeah, they quoted me a sevice rate of $110 an hour. Seriously. So, All things considered, I'll find someone else. I like the bike so I want to keep it a while. Maybe I'll move to Killeen, Tx.!
If it's a 5ish hour job for them then they are seriously underequipped and underqualified. Though I gathered that from their idea that it only needs it if it makes noise.

Kinda sounds like "Only change the oil when you have a rod knock" or "You don't need to get gas until it sputters".

Yes, it does need to be checked, no it doesn't always need to be adjusted!

I was quoted around $250 for mine. Another option is DIY! I haven't done it, but it seems like a moderately uncomplicated job. Just time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts