Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I bought this bike as used with only 2600 miles on it. The bike is very clean, no rust, no chips, like new condition. Sounds and rides very strong. No big issues but...

When I go over small bumps on the road at 60+ MPH it produces a dull clunk sound somewhere at the lower part of the frame. I read lots of people complaining about something similar, I padded the guts of the headlight, checked the handlebar bearing tightness, forks are good (no wiggling in the triple tree, etc.)

Yesterday I went to look for something else and what I found was a little bit of rusty colored deposit around the spot where a lower muffler hanger attaches to the frame. I noticed that the bolt is not perpendicular to the frame / opening of the frame but angled towards the front a little. Then I also saw that the metal washer of the bushing part#92092 is touching the frame.

So now I think that during the bump this washer + bushing actually hits the frame (?)

Has anyone experienced or witnessed something like that? Can this be corrected? I don't think simple replacing the bushing will fix it because the hanger - bracket I believe is not properly aligned and welded.

Any advice?

Thank you,
Alex.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,012 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I suggest you ask your question in the 1600 forum where other owners can help you out. Not all read the new intro section.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sometimes the bushings are compressed so much that they allow the steel washers behind them to hit the frame and clack. Go to Lowes and buy some white nylon washers and put them under the steel washers then re-tighten up the brackets. They should hit the frame instead of the steel washers now and keep it all quiet.
wait, aren't those bushings + steel washers vulcanized (ironic: Vulcan - vulcanized). How would I insert nylon washer between rubber bushing and steel washer?

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds doable. Did you have to remove the exhaust pipes from the head? Or did you just pulled back enough on the mufflers to get the bushings out?

·
Registered
93 Posts
If your bracket is out of alignment and making the mounting bolt angled you need to loosen the pipes coming into the mufflers so you can adjust the mufflers into the correct position so the bracket is aligned straight then you will not get any rattling. You tighten up the pipes after the mufflers are tightened down then your exhaust should be a lot quieter. I think the pipes are not inside the mufflers quite right and pushing the mounting bracket out of alignment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I know what I'll be doing tonight... It's raining anyways ...

Thank you, Powerstroker!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update

So I removed mufflers. And indeed those bushings were worn out. Especially the one that caused the steel washer / insert bump against the frame. I bought nylon washers at Lowes as Powerstroke suggested. I swapped a second pair of bushings (less worn out) with the culprit ones. Installed nylon washer between the steel washer and rubber bushing, which gained some clearance. Just by eyeballing I can say it definitely will cure the bracket to frame contact.

But I still need to test it on the road though. It was snowing this morning here in Upstate NY :O

Hopefully pretty soon. I really hope this will solve my dreadful clunk issue with this bike. I like this motorcycle and I like things to be "together", when something is loose it drives me nuts!!!

I'll post results once tested on the road.

Best regards!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts