Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo!! So, last fall I decided to give my '06 Vulcan a little bit of a makeover. I bought the bike last spring and really came to like it over the summer. My Harley buddies keep giving me crap that for the amount of money I've put into my Vulcan, I could have had a Harley!! BUT, I tell them to get a Harley to what I like would take a fortune!! LOL! Anyway, I like looking at projects that others post on here and thought somebody might like to follow my little project! I am certainly open to questions or comments AND advice! I am NOT a motorcycle mechanic or builder! I do have some common sense mechanical knowledge and YouTube!! Been fun so far! Here is where I stand on the project as of today...

I have already installed:

Cobra Dragster Pipes
Baron's Big Air Kit
Cobra Fuel Programmer
Highway Bars w/ Highway Pegs
Miscellaneous Chrome accessories

Here is what is currently in process:

The company I work for has a full metal fab shop and also a professional paint booth complete with a professional painter!! Talked to the boss man and luckily, our painter has been pretty slow and looking for something to do. I asked him about painting my bike and he said bring it on in!! We have decided to go with a Candy Apple Red. Our painter made me a sample and I was more than happy with how it turned out!! We are in the primer stage right now and should be completely done in about a week.

I picked up some hard bags off a 2015 Street Glide from a buddy of mine. No lids or hardware were included, but the bags were free so I couldn't pass it up!! I got one of our engineers and our welder involved. They designed a bracket that will fit my Vulcan and also support the bags as if they were still on a Harley. I test fit everything before I brought it in to paint and I was pleasantly surprised on how they fit and followed the shape of my rear fender. They actually look like they belong on the Vulcan!!!!!

I am also adding some 16" Kong Bars from Baron's Custom. I'm about 6'-2"...the stock bars weren't really "uncomfortable", but these bars are certainly MORE comfortable! New Kuryakyn grips will be put on with the new bars. I ordered a custom cable kit from Mean Cycles. That is supposed to be here next week, so then I will get all cabling switched out. This is probably what worries me the most about this project!! YouTube will definitely be readily available...

I am also putting on an integrated tail light off of a Vulcan 2000. I wasn't a fan of the square tail light and also the wide blinker bar in the back. I'm excited about the Vulcan 2000 tail light to clean up the rear end a little bit!!!

As soon as I get things back together and it is nice enough outside to get it out of the garage, it is going to a good friend that does seats. He is going to remake the big, bulky factory seat and get me to sit a little further back and a touch lower. Not going to do anything fancy on the leather...just want to get rid of the factory double-wide seat!!!!!!! LOL!!

I've looked into putting on a 21" front wheel. I like the look of the wire spoke wheel, so I don't need to do anything fancy. Plus it would still match the rear wheel without having to change that one out. I just don't know enough about what it all entails. I know I would need a new fender for sure, but I don't know enough about bearings, forks, brake rotors, etc....Maybe next winter?????

Anyway, I've attached a few pictures and will continue to add pictures throughout the project. Again, if anybody has any good suggestions or ideas, I would love to hear them!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPDATE:

I've had a great summer of riding. The bike out great. Going to do a few more things this winter, but I'm happy with the result thus far and have had a lot of compliments!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nice! I have the exact same bike. First thing I did was change my bars. I put 12" bars on mine. Made it way more comfortable for me. I am going to fabricating a custom exhaust for mine. I had a cobra 2 into 1, but when I was cruising in 5th I was shown more than a couple of times by drivers not paying attention that they couldn't hear my bike. So....now its going to be obnoxiously loud. I also put new white walls on it. I want to lower the rear a little bit as well. On the 21" wheel there is a place in California that you send your stock wheel to and they basically unstring the stock spokes and re-use the stock hub and make a new wheel with new spokes. That way you can re-use all the other stuff. I was told it's around $600. I'll get the name of the place from the guy at my local shop. I want to do that too. Pics are before the bar swap. Anyways, nice bike brother.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate the response. I also found a place out in Denver that will do that same thing. I send them my stock wheel and they use the factory hub and replace the rim and spokes to a 21" wheel. Woody's Wheel Works...they said it would be around $500. Once riding season is over, I will be tearing it out and sending it to Denver!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Oh, man. Your red bike is getting me all excited. I'm getting ready to do a rattle can red job on my '97. Probably sounds worse than it is -- I've done several guitars, and this shouldn't be too much different. I was thinking touch ups initially (mine's green and "cream") but the stickers for where the two colors meet are honking expensive, so I'll take my chances with spray paint and lots of wetsanding with 1000 grit.

The bike fit in my front door, which surprised me (I measured first, but was still having a hard time believing it until I was actually through), so I've even got a warm place in the basement to work this winter. Everything is off (fenders, tank) as of today, now I've just got to find the right shade of red.

I've got until April to get it done. Kind of funny that I was draining the gas into a plastic tank today, and thinking "Welp, I can use this in the snowblower..."

·
Registered
9 Posts
Craig I know in my area there's a place that put's "car" paint into spray cans for you. I went down earlier this year and needed a new fender, bought 1 off ebay, sanded it and shot it in a day. The only difference is its more of a satin finish than the high shine of the rest, but its the front fender so can't really tell.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts