Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, January 2015
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 2006 VN2000 Classic LT with about 10,000 miles on it. Bought it new. I have never been on a long ride but have been doing constant modifications to the bike and have been to the dyno shop a few times. It has a Power Commander III USB, Cobra speedster longs with baffles out and Big sucker air kit. I have had several different types of air kits and have taken out the secondary throttle plates. I did strip the rear spark plug hole about 2 years ago, but re-tapped the hole (it was only about 4 threads that were bad), vacuumed out the cylinder hole and put in new spark plugs. Here is the problem. About 4 years ago I had 106 hp/ and 134 ft pounds tq to the wheel. Now I am at 102 hp with 126 pounds of tq to the wheel. The horsepower had even gone down to about 98 at one point. I don't ride very far with the bike and never rev the engine. Low rpm riding mostly (I wonder if that could be it)
I am currently running velocity stacks I made (3.75" long bell type) and that helped on the dyno, but the power is no where near what it used to be. The bike sort of lugs along like a Harley Road King (no offense to Harley riders). Doesn't have that incredible power anymore. Is there a possibility that I have lost compression with only 10,000 miles and a few dyno tunes? I did take the bike to 120 mph a few times. People also say they can smell my exhaust pretty bad. The bike has been dynode a few days ago with the velocity stacks(they have triple screens) The bike wasn't running too off before, but the horsepower/torque is still low. Any ideas??? I use Shell 89 octane and have used Sea foam twice also in the oil before an oil change. I use full synthetic oil as well. The bike is well maintained, but something is robbing it of power. I use a Ballistic Lithium battery which isn't actually all that great either. Doesn't start well. Starts bad in the cold......
Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Expand on what ya mean by the exhaust smells bad???? Is it oily, fuel or a sweet sickly smell?? other so other smell????

If ya sit and lift the revs does the big any sign of blue smoke? Indicates oil getting past rings.

Another, testlift revs and hold then back to idle and a quick rev, again does it emit any trace of blue or black smoke?? Used for Indicating valve stem, seal issues.

Does the bike use amy water??

Have ya had power commander been recently checked or reset (or whatever they call it, lol)

Sent from the bottom of the Earth via a Tapatalk clone........……Motorcycle.com.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Check your compression and see what you have. Maybe someone will have some original numbers you can compare with. With all the different air intakes and spark plug problem I'd almost bet you've sucked something in you shouldn't have that may of caused premature ring or cylinder ware.

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do I do a compression test on a VN2000 correctly

Check your compression and see what you have. Maybe someone will have some original numbers you can compare with. With all the different air intakes and spark plug problem I'd almost bet you've sucked something in you shouldn't have that may of caused premature ring or cylinder ware.
Do you know how to do a compression check on a VN2000?? Should I do it dry and wet?? Do I keep the tank on or off and should I have warmed up the engine first??? How much oil would I pour in the spark plug hole if I'm doing a wet test to compare with the dry results and does adding oil hurt anything? What type of oil?? Thanks!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well I will have to be the first to admit that your how to questions have gone above and beyond my level of expertise in compression testing. I've never given it much thought on there being different ways of doing it. I would simply pull the plugs and check and see what you have. I wouldn't pour anything in the cylinder to make it any wetter that it would be under normal operating conditions. Even if you had just rebuilt the top end I can't see how it could be considered dry. I would of at least coated everything with oil as it was being put back together.

Ok, so when all else fails read the directions. Here is what the manual I have says to do in order to check the compression. Be sure the battery if fully charged. Warm up the engine thoroughly. Stop the engine. Duh! Remove the fuel tank. Remove one spark plug and attach the compression gauge and adapter firmly into the spark plug hole. For the other cylinder remove the spark plug. Using the starter motor, turn the engine over with the throttle fully open until the compression gauge stops rising; the compression is the highest reading obtainable. Cylinder Compression (Usable range) 284-500kPa (2.9-5.1 kg/cm squared, 41-72 psi @ 200 r/min (rpm).

They give a list of things to check if the pressure is high or low.

Maybe this would be a good time for the performace engine builders to chime in.

Hope this helps. Let me know what you get a reading and if you need to know what the diagnosis is for having low or high pressure.

Ride Safe!

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
ap, yor suppose loss of power, is it significantly noticeable wen riding normal like? or is it mor just numbers on the dyno? You may have a serious case of munchkinson disease, it's where the owner inflicts harm (mods) on their machine so they can rescue it.. (mor mods)
U do kno I'm givin u chitts here. many fellas do all kinds of mods to their bikes thinking they'r improving them. reality is less. It's fun to do stuff to them butt not take it serious wen results are diminished performance. Just go bak to stok and see if things don't get mor better? poncho

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advise

Thanks everyone....... I'm going to pull the tank and check the compression and install new plugs. I'm not sure if I'm suppose to check the compression with both plugs out or with the non-checking cylinder with a plug in. The instructions in the service manual are a little weird. They say to one spark plug in while checking compression but to check compression with both spark plugs out??? Something like that...... I'll figure it out ........

Thanks!

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Thanks everyone....... I'm going to pull the tank and check the compression and install new plugs. I'm not sure if I'm suppose to check the compression with both plugs out or with the non-checking cylinder with a plug in. The instructions in the service manual are a little weird. They say to one spark plug in while checking compression but to check compression with both spark plugs out??? Something like that...... I'll figure it out ........Thanks!
apo, it's ezier to turn the crank over by hand with plugs out. So you put the pressure gage fitting only the cyl Yor cheking. thus way the other cyl isn't affecting yor effort to get TDC. poncho

1 - 8 of 8 Posts