Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I bought this bike as used with only 2600 miles on it. The bike is very clean, no rust, no chips, like new condition. Sounds and rides very strong. No big issues but...

When I go over small bumps on the road at 60+ MPH it produces a dull clunk sound somewhere at the lower part of the frame. I read lots of people complaining about something similar, I padded the guts of the headlight, checked the handlebar bearing tightness, forks are good (no wiggling in the triple tree, etc.)

Yesterday I went to look for something else and what I found was a little bit of rusty colored deposit around the spot where a lower muffler hanger attaches to the frame. I noticed that the bolt is not perpendicular to the frame / opening of the frame but angled towards the front a little. Then I also saw that the metal washer of the bushing part#92092 is touching the frame.

So now I think that during the bump this washer + bushing actually hits the frame (?)

Has anyone experienced or witnessed something like that? Can this be corrected? I don't think simple replacing the bushing will fix it because the hanger - bracket I believe is not properly aligned and welded.

Someone suggested inserting nylon bushings between Rubber Bushing part and Steel Insert Washer, is it possible to separate the two? Aren't they vulcanized together?

Any advice?

Thank you,
Alex.

Attachments

·
BOTM Winner, December 2016
331 Posts
Hey sashko1,

The "classics" have a recall on the exhaust bracket...
Not sure if your bike or issue is covered and I ass u me that it has the "stock" exhaust...

Go to kawasaki.com and find the current recall list and plug in you VIN#...
Worth a look...
With the extremely low miles you shouldn't have ANY issues with your scoot...

Maybe the previous owner had an aftermarket exhaust on her and replaced it with the stock exhaust before you bought it and boogered up the bolt/alignment...

Depending on how misaligned it is, you may have to take the head pipes loose to get her lined up properly...

Hope this helped,

Keep her shiny side up,
Luckymann77

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Luckymann for your input. Yes, I did check recalls, nothing for my bike though.
The bike is all stock. I actually removed mufflers and re-aligned the pipes, it helped just a bit.
Oh well, I think I will ride like this till the end of the no-snow-on-the-road season and then maybe some time in November I'll ask my buddy to re-weld the bracket then.

Watch out for those nasty may bugs!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts