Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone can help me with setting the pre load for it's heaviest setting for 2 up riding with the max weight load. I tried doing a search and I also have a service manual on order but I could use some help
now! Thanks and I appreciate any and all help. Ride safe

·
Registered
288 Posts
Unless you have the wrenches, it's sort of going to suck. What I had the best luck with was using an oil filter wrench that's built like vice grips. The ends of it hook into the notches on the ring and you can wrestle it. Put the bike up on your lift for the easiest time of it, but it can be done on the ground.

Another option is to use a punch and a hammer, but that eff's up the notches in the ring nuts. I've tried that too. That method REALLY sucks. The vice-grip type oil filter wrench thing seems best.

I got mine at Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/locking-oil-filter-wrench-66568.html

It also kicks a$$ for removing the filter from the bike. It fits right in there with enough room for leverage and didn't slip on the magically tightening oil filter. Mine are always tighter than everloving hell even though I only put them on hand tight. Previously I usually ended up spearing them.

·
Registered
198 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies

I have the proper wrench but need to know the adjusting part. I think I read a post that said a 1.4" measurement but don't know where to measure this from. Again thanks for any input

·
Registered
198 Posts
Here's a link to instructions from the manual on how to adjust the shock which has the measurements you're looking for.

http://tinyurl.com/shock-adjustment

However, I wouldn't worry about the measurements for the spring pre-load. Just keep tightening up the adjuster rings until you're happy with way the bike rides. You will have to tighten them up quite a bit to get a good ride when riding two up.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot for that link V2KCruiser! That was real cool of you! And thank all of you for your input. Hope I can return the favor sometime.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts