Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Nomad 1600
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to the bike this morning and turned the key. Tail light came on and so did my relay for my speakers and that is it. The turn signals will work but nothing else is working.

I don't hear the fuel pump priming and the speedo does not do the peg and rest.

The USB charge voltage says 12.6 so that is good. I have removed and checked the main 30 amp fuse, hit the starter relay with the side of a screw driver.

Checked the 15 amp fuel pump fuse and it is good. Took apart the two connectors coming from the keys ignition switch, I did get the speedo to peg when I put that back together but still no other lights on the face.

Very strange...any suggestions?

·
Registered
2006 Nomad 1600
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I ordered a new starter relay, should be here by Sunday. If that does not work, I might have to go with a new key ignition. Problem with electrical gremlins, sometimes they are hard to find.

·
Registered
2006 Nomad 1600
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't know if was the high temps and the humidity that caused the issue or what. I pulled all the right side fuese to check them. Non were blown all good, but after I put them back in, no more issues. Will be cleaning the contacts a little better and putting some dielectric grease on them. Interesting.

So for now fixed...don't want this to happen again on the road...hmmm

·
Registered
333 Posts
DO THE BASICS FIRST before spending money on parts. Check your grounds, all of them and make sure they are clean, no corrosion, and tight. Check your battery connections, starter connections, relay connections, all must be corrosion free and tight. If that doesn't prove the issue, then start doing a connection by connection trace to see if you have a failed or burned connection, corrosion, or possibly a failed wire. Its worth taking the time to find the real solution instead of masking it with a fresh battery or the like, just to have it come back at the worst possible time.

Years ago my lawn tractor wouldn't start, even after a full charge, even after a fresh battery. I added a pull start to it. I replaced the ignition switch, no better. I replaced the starter, no better, Checked/cleaned the grounds, no better. I replaced the positive cable from the battery, no better. Finally, I tested the ground cable for continuity, and it was open! But if I flexed it it worked, there was a mid-cable internal break. If I had started with the ground and proved it, I would have been done for $5 and an hour of time tops, instead of the $50+ I spent to not find the issue.

·
Registered
2006 Nomad 1600
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
andyvh1059,

Thanks for the info, and I have gone through the bike connector by connector. In my other thread when I first got the bike, the PO had all kinds of LEDs and other electrical items on the bike. They didn't do a very good job. So I had to remove all of that and then put the bike more or less back to OEM.

Cleaning the connectors has been done with grease when I was working on the leak in the back of the gas tank. That is why this was a surprise to me. Looking over the starter relay and finding the plastic protection area around the plug was brittle. So that is why I ordered a new one.

I will use some contact cleaner on the fuse panel are with some compressed air and then grease the blades on the fused as I insert them.

Guessing that the high heat and humidity is what got me the other day.

·
Registered
213 Posts
andyvh1059,

Thanks for the info, and I have gone through the bike connector by connector. In my other thread when I first got the bike, the PO had all kinds of LEDs and other electrical items on the bike. They didn't do a very good job. So I had to remove all of that and then put the bike more or less back to OEM.

Cleaning the connectors has been done with grease when I was working on the leak in the back of the gas tank. That is why this was a surprise to me. Looking over the starter relay and finding the plastic protection area around the plug was brittle. So that is why I ordered a new one.

I will use some contact cleaner on the fuse panel are with some compressed air and then grease the blades on the fused as I insert them.

Guessing that the high heat and humidity is what got me the other day.
You know dielectric grease is non conductive and disrupts the flow of electricity? It is mainly used on rubber boots, gaskets around electrical connectors, etc. it is not good to use it on the actual connection. Unfortunately many people famously misunderstand what dielectric grease actually is and is used for. If you have a bad, loose, or corroded connector, it’s probably better just to replace it.

·
Registered
2006 Nomad 1600
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't know that...Interesting

I used DeoxIT D5S-6 Spray. I hit all the spade contacts and let it sit. Then hit it with compressed air to clean up the area. Hit it with spray one more time and replaced all the fuse's. Worked great.

As I started to clean up the area, I turned the bike on and played with the fuse's, it was the "IG" 10 amp fuse that was the contact issue.

As far as making a good connection what we are looking for is both a physical and a electrical connections. If you have a good mating or physical connection, that being conductor on conductor then the dielectric grease is used to seal off the area from contaminates. So if the spade fuse's go in place and make a good conductor to conductor mate, the grease would be pushed away and then be used to protect around the mated area. imho. I could be wrong. I am not a chemical, mechanical or electrical engineer, just a long time shade tree tech.

Bottom line, problem is fixed for now and I am confident to ride the bike on long trips again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts