Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 12 volts on the white wire with the red strip at the plug, and also on the other side of the plug. No whining of the fuel pump. I the put 12 v from the battery to the black/ yellow wire on the pump, the black/white goes to ground.
Sp I used clip leads to the pump direct and nothing.. I do not know what the other terminal is for. Looking at the pump from the bottom. Ground nut is first, then 2 little back rubber caps. the one on the right I believe is fo rhte 12 volt. I watched rebuild video and see that the one I used went to the motor. What is the other one for, the little gold looking thing with the smaller wire.. DO I need to know about that. I though 12v to the black/yell wire and to ground was all I need. Right..Bad pump. Actually intermittent pump. I haooen to get it to not start today and traced wires. Pump time, any input would be nice.. Thanks Greg

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hi there.
Welcome to the forum.
You are going fast with the questions there.
What is the initial symptom?
When did the symptom start?
Does the FI light behave normally when you turn the key on? (on for 2 seconds, then off again)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is intermittent no start. I have spark. only have trouble every few weeks when trying to go, cranks, no start. I am familiar with electronics. I see the 12v on the white wire with the red stripe at the plug above the coil pack. it is the plug going to the pump 12v on that wire on both sides of the plug going and using the ground at the pump. Still no pump. I just did not know what the 2nd terminal on the pump was for. I know the relay is working as the 12 volts is 12 volts when I crank. No pump whining. SO I tried to wire direct, nothing. Is the second terminal important?
Greg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bike sits a lot. only 4000 miles on since new. I had a heart attack and took a few years to recover. So I ran it last summer and winter here in FLorida, started having the trouble this winter. It is nice weather here in FLorida.. I also put a new battery in. First one in years

·
Registered
316 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read all that, the first page said I should have 12 volts on the black/yellow wire on the pump side of the connector for 10 seconds and I do, no pump running. I still think I have a bad pump, but can you tell me what the other wire is for. I see ground and 2 other wires going into the motor. one is the 12v to make the motor run. and mine does not run but has the 12v, but what is the second one do?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can anyone tell me what the other part is inside the fuel pump. The motor connects to ground and the terminal on the right, but this other part that you remove first to get to the motor, it has a wire on it and connects to the other terminal of the pump. What is it? Fuel sensor? Something to turn on reserve? Just wondering?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Here is the Test for the reserve switch. See attached pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
On pump side of connector, 12v on black/yellow. ground on black/white - pump should run.

The other wires are not a factor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you and thats what I thought... I since took the pump out and it looks like a capacitor across the motor winding probably for noise on the dc line. And now the pump runs again. It is intemittent. Since it is out, I am putting a new one it, Anyway. I ordered a kit and plan to rebuild. Thank you..
Greg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts