Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally getting healed enough to ride again after 6 years of surgeries and PT. The bike has been sitting a long time with an original battery (FTZ16-BS). As you can imagine even with being on a trickle charger the battery is shot. I checked the search for new battery info with marginal luck. According to the post the battery is an odd size (I measured 6.25 high, 5.75 length, 3.25 thick). Only one post recommended BatteryMart YTX20CH-BS (6.38 high, 6 length, 3.44 width). I checked the space and all measurements should fit except the width which might be just a little too small.

Has anyone with a 2006 1600 Classic replaced their battery? If so what did you buy that fits? Right now the bike is sitting with an empty battery box, the weather is good, don't know how long it will take to ship a battery if I order on Monday, and after all these years I need to ride again.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
the bike's battery box is a little too small for the YTX20CH-BS ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I measured the battery box of my 2006 1600 Classic and it is 6.75 (6 3/4) width and 3.31 (3 5/16) deep. I measured it a few times to make sure. I also measured the original battery which was a snug fit on the depth and it measured 5.75 (5 3/4) wide and 3.25 (3 1/4) deep and 6.25 (6 1/4) high.

Duralast Gold EXT20L is 6 15/16 wide and 3 7/16 deep
Motocross YTX20CH-BS is 6 wide and 3.44 deep
YUSA YTX20CH-BS is 6 wide and 3.44 deep

So far every battery I have checked is more than 3.31 deep.

Just got back from Auto Zone and bought a Duralast Gold EXT14. that states it is 5.78 wide and 3.5 deep. I put it next to the original battery and it matched except for the height. It made up for the height with a choice of shims. So manufacturers measurements are off on the Duralast. I suspect maybe for the others as well. The width is also critical since the metal hold down strap has a part that angles down the long side to hold the 5.75 wide part of the battery against the opposite side of the battery box.

* So for what its worth on my 2006 1600 Classic a replacement battery has to have an actual measurement of 5.75 wide and 3.25 deep as the original battery. The height can be adjusted upward with shims. Since you can't trust the manufacturer to post accurate measurements you have to physically compare. If you mail order you take your chances.

This has taken a few hours searching on the internet and a lot of frustration on a job that should have been 15 minutes. I even checked on a battery from Kawasaki but they want about $250 (you gotta be fricken kidding). I hope the electronic specs on this Duralast are sufficient. It also only has a 3 month warranty.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
surely someone else who has a 2006 1600 classic has a YUASA YTX20CH-BS in it? ask around because that YTX20CH-BS should fit

·
BOTM Winner, December 2016
326 Posts
YTX20CH-BS is the RIGHT choice...

Yep...
Just bought and installed the Motocross High Performance YTX20CH-BS...

Fit fine and REALLY spins the engine fast !!!
Definite improvement !!!

Got off eBay for 75 bucks shipped from High Tech Battery...
Nice folks to deal with, located in Ohio...

Comes with a 1 year warranty...
Made by Yuasa...

The battery box dimensions are a bit tricky due to it being out of square at the bottom front...

The YTX20CH-BS is THE correct replacement and is rated at 270 CCA, 50 more CCA's than the OEM battery...

Ride On !!!
Luckymann77
:grin2::grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
good it fits

1 - 8 of 8 Posts