Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings fellow riders I am supposed to pull the trigger on a very clean green 05 Vulcan 2000 with 51K miles for $5000 on consignment at a local dealer. The bike all around looks awesome compared to other consignment bikes Unfortunatly although the bike dash lights needles flick, fuel pump whines up and light work bright, Kill switch off the starter will not crank. Anyone have this issue before? Any thoughts at all would be greatly appreciated?
V/R Gunner G.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Well, watch out for the kickstand switch.

If the kickstand is down, the bike MUST be on neutral to crank.

If the kickstand is up, the bike on first, just hold the clutch in.

Seems obvious but I hadn't seen the kickstand switch until my recent Vulcan. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah. The dealer did try and start it in neutral with the kick stand down, clicked it into neutral but the green neutral light would never came on. When he would push the start button it would sort of whine like what you hear in a car when the battery is low. However not even one of those portable booster jumpers would help. This all with other indicators like running lights and gauges bright. One thing I wish we had done was lift the kick stand and try it again. Those interlocks can get you some times and on my dirt bikes I always remove them because those bikes weigh 250 Lbs but heavy street bikes like my B1250 at 500 Lbs you need them. Well better it happen at the dealer then after purchase. When they tell me to come down I think I will wait until the next morning and sneak in and request a cold start and also a good test ride for about 20 miles, hot re-start, interlock test, down shift load, up shift load, coolant color, oil color, brake fluid color, and all the other little gizmo's with use of the hand book. I will take it out for about an hour and shake it down then after it sits for a while just before I close the deal and hand the cash Ill ask to start it one more time LOL. Can you believe whoever had this bike put 17K miles on it a year. Since it is EFI and water cooled Im think 51K is not allot of miles. Anyone know how many miles riders are averaging on these bike before they do a major overhaul 100K? 200K miles?

Well, watch out for the kickstand switch.

If the kickstand is down, the bike MUST be on neutral to crank.

If the kickstand is up, the bike on first, just hold the clutch in.

Seems obvious but I hadn't seen the kickstand switch until my recent Vulcan. :)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Not a clue on how long. 51K is NOT a lot if well taken care off. If you see all the signs of good maintenance you shouldn't have any issues.

Does the dealer offer any kind of after-market or extended warranty? Or will they at least give you a 30 day "protection" plan? If not a long term warranty, at least 30 days to make sure everything is ok sounds fair to me.

On the other side, what can't be fixed on a bike? ;)

Looks very nice.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point on the 30 day. This is a very high reputation dealer so they should go for that and after changing the fluids I take a 5600 mile round trip to Chesapeake VA to visit my son. Ill mention that to the dealer LOL

Not a clue on how long. 51K is NOT a lot if well taken care off. If you see all the signs of good maintenance you shouldn't have any issues.

Does the dealer offer any kind of after-market or extended warranty? Or will they at least give you a 30 day "protection" plan? If not a long term warranty, at least 30 days to make sure everything is ok sounds fair to me.

On the other side, what can't be fixed on a bike? ;)

Looks very nice.

·
Registered
525 Posts
You sound like a good customer and any smart dealer can see that. I work in customer support (computer software) and I know the value of a satisfied customer. I have had customers buy from us for YEARS due to good service. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well you know how it is veronica, people like to feel like they are being treated well and getting a great if not fair deal. I have only met 3 dealers in my life that were down right rude and mean. One the general sales manager screamed at his salesmen for allowing me to make competitive bids over the phone. Another general sales manager refused to honor the written offer he himself had made earlier that day 1pm because I came back in the afternoon 3pm ready to buy. Another refused to honor an accepted offer because I was paying cash and not financing through his dealership. But mostly I have had great experiences.
You sound like a good customer and any smart dealer can see that. I work in customer support (computer software) and I know the value of a satisfied customer. I have had customers buy from us for YEARS due to good service. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Oh yeah the question, did I buy it? The dealer being 60 miles away emailed me that they have ordered the part and would be in soon and ready. Unfortunatly he hasn't replied back to my redirect as to what that part is and more importantly the VIN number which I requested before his last email. I told him I my Credit Union has to have it for a loan. I cant believe it slipped my mind to pull it off the frame and jot it down when I was there last Monday. When they call me that its ready I will ask to speak to the General Sales Manager if the sales guy doesn't tell me before I do another 120 mile round trip. I need to know the bike history and that it is not a salvage bike.

So did you buy it or what???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts