Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Shux, if it is the ecu I want to cut her open IF there is any hope of repairing it. It is so soft and rubbery it seems easier to open than most I have seen. I really do not want to pop for a crazy expensive part if it is possible to fix (not sure if it is an option or an urban myth)

·
Registered
507 Posts
What you would find inside, after considerable effort, is a big lump of sealant. The whole thing is full of it. This young lad even made a video of his efforts.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Maybe u r correct however that ecu and mine are constructed completely differently
One side of mine is simply soft (no hard sides, no "halves" glued together)
One can hope (lol)
Have u personally seen my style ecu be impossible? I have watched videos where ecu repairs were doable

·
Registered
507 Posts
The only ECU repair videos I've seen looked like they had somehow removed the sealant -- whether with chemistry, heat or mechanical means I dunno. I'd be concerned that any process that would easily remove the sealant might also easily remove the printed circuit board or parts thereof, but logic tells us that what has been applied can somehow be unapplied given sufficient time and precision. I don't seem to find any of those videos for a 1500, so perhaps you will boldly go where no one has gone before. Suggest you video -- could be giant YouTube hit!

Seriously, unless you have some serious electronics background, and a lot of spare time, the prudent course would be to await sfair's return. As others have mentioned, "he da man" on this stuff. Remember, you don't know that it is the ECU that's the problem. He may come back, look at your readings and say, "Nope, ECU's fine, it must be the __________."

But if you bust it open, let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I would never just open it up and I am waiting on Safir. I was just responding to your suggestion that the ecu readings sound suspect as to what I might do if that occurs....
I could not find any specific videos either.
If I do open her up after Safir tells me its bad if he does then sure I will video tape it
Thnx
John

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Sorry, has to be analog.
We are troubleshooting over the internet 3000 miles apart, so cannot leave any room for error.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Safir, tge fluke gave exact and accurate readings. Lets use them please asap my neighbour and I are at odds and I do not have an analog anynore. The Fluke is one of the best. Based on the readings I provided what are your suggestions?
Also it is not the battery respinding to the other post, there is a brand new battery since this problem happened however the other battery was fine

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Safir, the fluke gave exact and accurate readings. Lets use them please asap my neighbour and I are at odds and I do not have an analog anynore. The Fluke is one of the best. Based on the readings I provided what are your suggestions?

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Digital meters use very low voltages and current on the ohms scale and can be inconclusive when reading active components.
Must have an analog meter or I cannot trust the readings.
I am no trying to be difficult here, just trying to get the job done at the least cost to you.

Sorry.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Camber, sfair is not being arbitrary. Despite the indisputable quality of Fluke digital meters, analog multimeters inherently do a few things better. Among them are showing circuit changes over a short time and measuring diodes. What I know about ECU's wouldn't fill a thimble, but I do know a little bit about electricity -- I'm the author of a series of books that teach folks ham radio -- and trust me, there's a reason he wants that sort of meter. AutoZone, OReilly's, Home Depot -- they all have 'em. You don't even need a jazzy Simpson or Weston ($$$$) meter.

For that matter, where are you? If you happen to be in my neck of the woods I have a meter we can slap on there.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
At first you were fine w the digital meter, that meter gave bad readings. Next I used a Fluke and got great repeatable readings.
I live near Milwaukee
I need to get this done asap, based on the Fluke readings what do u suggest u think is happening? Is the ecu looking fried or no based on these stable readings. Again u were ok w the first (junky) digital meter until it didn't work now I have a high quality meter w consistent readings, PLEASE what do they tell u Safir??? Weeks and no riding, I am trying to get help not lose my entire riding summer here

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
ECU is good I just tried one with the same part number out of a 2006 and they ran the same so my ECU is not the problem where do I look next?

·
Registered
507 Posts
1) Did the main fuse blow when you tried the new ECU?

2) (gulp) Is the 2006 running now that you've put that ECU back in it?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I put my ecu in the 2006 (same part #) ran perfectly
I did not put that bikes ecu in mine, no reason and yes it would have blown the fise if I had.
Safir?????

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Camber, you may lose the riding season, big deal. There are more important things in life, but if you are in a hurry and don't want to listen to or wait for Sfair, take your bike to a shop and pay them.........

Remember, while he may be busy helping others and or be out of pocket for a few days like he said, he isn't charging you for his help or knowledge. As he has said, there are times an analog meter works where a digital meter will not suffice. Sfair has a very methodical and systematic approach.

41 - 60 of 97 Posts