Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok please someone I need help here...
I just bought a 16k mile 2005 Vulcan 1500fi on my 1st ride it ran great but on my way home it started to cut out (electronics flickering amd engine cutting in and out) them she just died and no restart.
Towed it home and took off seat and the positive battery cable was grounding out on my frame (ugg)
The blue 15 amp fuse right there was blown, I replaced that and.... it blows right away when u go to start it. (I fixed the issues so it is no longer able to ground out as it was)
ALL other fuses are fine
I am pretty handy but prefer to have someone who knows these bikes advise the best procedure to determine where my issue lies OR tell me what they think (or know) is wrong.
Thanks in advance for your anticipated quick response (I want to ride darnnit)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes but ? On how to attach a pic
if the seat is removed the battery is exposed, the positive cable that bolts to the pos terminal extended far enough off the edge of the battery as installed to touch the frame and short out.
What i am hoping for is someone who advises where to test what first to see what keeps tripping that 15 amp fuse under the seat
thabk you

·
Premium Member
12,012 Posts
Links in my signature on pic posting help but you can use one of the many free hosting sites and then link to the pics.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The pic means NOTHING ANYWAY
I have been crystal clear the pos cable grounded out now please where do I look or what do I test so I can fix this

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wrapped the wire and moved the battery over and made a pice of wood to insure it will never touch again if u r wondering what that is in the pic

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
OK, disconnect positive cable, give it a 90 degree turn counterclockwise (as per photo) and re-connect.
Remove negative and rotate 90 degrees clockwise and reconnect.
Now rubber covers will fit over battery posts as they should.
Now you know why I wanted a picture... I could not see how the positive would short out to the frame when connected correctly.

Next, unplug big connector from ECU, key on, see if fuse still blows.

Post back with results.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
I just went out and looked at mine, and the negative should be OK as is.
Also, your battery hold or battery down look crooked.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Once you're done with the step sfair gave you, it also wouldn't be a terrible idea to check all the other fuses, too. Basic electronics says the surge should have just gone through the frame and back to the negative side of that battery for the milliseconds before the fuse blew, but that was a whompin' lot of amps and something may have taken an electrical hit.

Fingers crossed that some fuse somewhere did its job and it will be a $1.49 fix.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The battery hold down is loose as in not bolted in while I am working on it
checking the ecu soon here (i assume the plus i refer to is obvious)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Which plug r u referring to? The junction box is not it Im sure but I showed it anyway, the ecu is the big box alongside the battery right? It has 3 plugs 2 of which r bigger and the same except one is blk one is wht the 3rd being no wires going to it but not sure if it some sort of jumper or?
Thnx

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok so I disconnected both ecu plugs and now the fuse does not blow, however there are no lights clicks or anything happening w the battery hooked up

1 - 20 of 96 Posts