Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used 2005 VN2000 with 8000 miles on it for $6,000. It has a problem with the idle. Sitting in neutral and running, the idle is fine, no problem. But, pull in the clutch and put it in gear and the idle fluctuates up about 300 RPM then back down and this continues until you give it gas and take off. Stop at a light with the clutch in and in gear and it starts fluctuating again. Put it in neutral and it smooths out. Runs down the road great. 2:1 Pipe, Thunder Intake, PCIII, O2-eliminator, CA Bike. Has anyone heard of this problem? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I may be off base here, but it sounds to me like your clutch is dragging. The computer is sensing that drag and trying to compensate by raising the RPM. Adjust the clutch (or HAVE it adjusted), and see if that doesn't cure the problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
same problem

Chriscam21 you discover the problem. Mine does the exact same thing. And no it is not the clutch. When the air temp is above 75 it does not do it. When the thing gets to opperating temp it stops. I belived it is in the computer, sensors and maybe o2 sensor related. but if you have 2:1 Pipe, Thunder Intake, PCIII, O2-eliminator, CA Bike, then it is not in that area. I think I will take it in for a check.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you guys haven't solved your idle loping problem yet--here's a fix: The idle speed is too low. Turn it up with the screw/knob that sticks out to the rear of the air filter. Set it with the engine warm. It won't take much to get rid of the problem, which may return again in a few months.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts